From Gizmodo:
    By Odelia Lee, 8:40 PM on Wed Mar 25 2009

BlackBerry is the Smartphone of Choice for Gangs and Criminals

Society's bad eggs are increasingly turning to the use of BlackBerry devices to skirt detection from law enforcement. Authorities report they have trouble intercepting illicit emails and conversations because of the relatively secure BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Developed by Research in Motion (RIM), the BlackBerry Enterprise Server works on a secure network that encrypts data. It was designed with the intention of keeping the security legitimate business communications intact. Faced against such a highly secure means of transmitting of information, however, it's near impossible for law enforcement to listen in on and nab suspected criminals. The roadblocks have undoubtedly lead to the upward trend in gangs and other malefactors choosing the BlackBerry over other devices, where conversations can be more easily intercepted.

While some Canadian legislators support major de-encryption efforts, this will inadvertently compromise the security of business communications as well.
    03-26-09 05:43 AM
    well i hate to read this if it's true, it looks as if blackberry phones are about to get the same treatment as guns. I.E. perfectly fine when in the hands of law abiding citizens but get regulated into uselessness because of the criminal element. so instead of increasing the efforts to effectively punish the guilty they will take the much easier route and punish everyone else.

i've seen it all before, and am just curious as to what they will do this to next.
    03-26-09 05:48 AM
    Wow. What will they think of next?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-09 05:51 AM
    Hehe! I just got done writing a blog post on this to be posted later. lol.
    03-26-09 06:02 AM
    This is like a lock on a door.
    It only keeps the honest guv's out.
    03-26-09 06:33 AM
    you gotta hand it to the criminals, they are pretty smart sometimes
    03-26-09 08:48 AM
    I am gonna start a criminal organization with a BES..lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-09 10:13 AM
    I'm going to follow the criminals

I'm going to invent something, get people to pay for it even though it's not able to be stable at what it should do..ignore the customer complaints then get one of my high exec's to say .. thats just it deal with it

O wait

Blackberry beat me to it..dammit
    03-26-09 10:56 AM
    this is great..... i think criminals need as much privacy as they can get..... I encourage all criminals to hop on and get with the BES program.... and im being serious
    03-26-09 10:59 AM
    If there was no criminals, there would be no police.

Today's economy (even though I'm in Canada) would crash even further if there were no criminals. Insurance brokers (in part), police, security teams, privately funded OP organizations, etc... would all become obsolete.

I think all registered criminals should be given a Berry and a BES.

03-26-09 11:23 AM
    Not a useful reply to an interesting topic, but have to say the thread title was tops my friend... just aces.
    03-26-09 11:29 AM
    and if there were no police,just think of all the dohnut shops that would go out of business.and w/o all the dohnut shops just think of how many weight loss centers would go out of business.and w/o all the weight loss places,where would the criminals go to work out
    03-26-09 11:30 AM
    And no correction officers the economy would definitly tank with out criminals
    03-26-09 11:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD