Is this possible? Has it been done? I'm sick of having to sit in a weird spot so my charger can reach a socket( like right now) or my son crawling over my wire and pulling it out. I would like to have a box I plug in turn on bluetooth and charge away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 10:12 PM
    Charging wirelessly would be dangerous

03-11-09 10:15 PM
    How? I dnt mean that in a mean way but someone should do it

03-11-09 10:20 PM
    Is this a serious question? Really?

Wireless charging is an impossibility... You wouldn't be able to get the current necessary to charge something through the air without putting deadly levels of current out there. And doing that would simply make the item charging arc to the item being charged.

This is seriously simple electronic theory...
    03-11-09 10:27 PM
    Tesla tried it and it failed miserably.
    It would charge everything in the room, so as soon as anything in the room came in contact with anything else conductive, an electrical discharge would either blow it up or light it on fire.
    Simple physics.
    03-11-09 10:27 PM
    Plus, bluetooth uses battery life anyway, so it would be charging while it was wasting battery, even if it could work.

+1 for Tesla anyway!
    03-11-09 10:32 PM
    Sorry I don't know physics I not a geek like half the people here. I just figured if let me say that again I just figured by that meaning I just thought if it worked would it be good.

03-11-09 10:32 PM
    Then you fail at electronic theory (and it's more like electromagnetism, not electronic).

Of course there is wireless charging. Short range inductive wireless charging is the most common type for consumer-type electronics. My electronic toothbrush uses inductive charging. The new Palm Pre coming will have wireless charging. These devices typically need direct contact or very close proximity, but there are no wires between the device and the charger (thus wireless).

Longer range wireless [safe] charging is currently an active research area.

But to answer the OP's question, it sounds like you want the long range type. I'd say wait 20 years.
    And no, there is no BT wireless charging.
    03-11-09 10:33 PM
    Tesla tried it and it failed miserably.
    It would charge everything in the room, so as soon as anything in the room came in contact with anything else conductive, an electrical discharge would either blow it up or light it on fire.
    Simple physics.
    I wouldn't call inventing radio a failure, it just wasn't the intended result.
    03-11-09 10:35 PM
    I don't mind being close I just at least want to get rid of wires so my son doesn't hurt himself

03-11-09 10:37 PM
    I don't mind being close I just at least want to get rid of wires so my son doesn't hurt himself

At CES there were a few companies (mostly small no-name companies from Asia) making custom cases that provided wireless charging. They had ones for the Nintendo DS, PSP, and others. You could google search for those, though I doubt they have one for the Storm (which means $$$ for a custom wireless charging apparatus).

Sounds like baby-proofing your home (wireguards, outlet protectors) is the better and cheaper path than seeking wireless charging for your phone. You could buy a dedicated battery charger, put it out of reach of your kid, and use it to charge a spare battery while you carry around your phone.
    03-11-09 10:43 PM
    Then you fail at electronic theory (and it's more like electromagnetism, not electronic).

Of course there is wireless charging. Short range inductive wireless charging is the most common type for consumer-type electronics. My electronic toothbrush uses inductive charging. The new Palm Pre coming will have wireless charging. These devices typically need direct contact or very close proximity, but there are no wires between the device and the charger (thus wireless).

But to answer the OP's question, it sounds like you want the long range type. I'd say wait 20 years.
    They were demo'ing this on TV the other day. It was being broadcast from a Vegas show. Pretty cool stuff and it was wireless. So anyone who told you wireless charging can't be done is WRONG.
    03-11-09 10:44 PM

Bluetooth is designed to be a low energy standard for communication between devices. Bluetooth operates at ~2.4 GHz (which is about the same frequency as a microwave oven). So, if somehow you could charge your device wirelessly using bluetooth, your son would not be better off. B/c it would either cook him from the inside out or cause tumors.
    03-11-09 10:48 PM
    Bluetooth is designed to be a low energy standard for communication between devices. Bluetooth operates at ~2.4 GHz (which is about the same frequency as a microwave oven). So, if somehow you could charge your device wirelessly using bluetooth, your son would not be better off. B/c it would either cook him from the inside out or cause tumors.
    lol
    03-11-09 10:52 PM
    Is this a serious question? Really?

Wireless charging is an impossibility... You wouldn't be able to get the current necessary to charge something through the air without putting deadly levels of current out there. And doing that would simply make the item charging arc to the item being charged.

I charge my PS3 controllers wirelessly (in a sense)

The is a conductor that plugs into the controller then all I have to do is rest the controller on this plate and BOOM it starts charging

There is direct contact with the charging port and the controller but you just have to place the controller on the plate...If you could develop a battery cover that tapped into the battery itself and then a charging plate with a USB port or a regular plug...might save a Micro USB port or two
    03-11-09 10:53 PM
    There was a table top charger demonstrated at CES. You just set your phone, or any rechargeable device, on top of the charger and it charges the battery.

03-12-09 12:23 AM
    This article is an interesting read:

Wireless Charging: Intel Says They've Taken A Huge Leap in Wireless Power Tech

As is this:

Intel Moves to Free Gadgets of Their Recharging Cords

I believe its in the realm of possibility...
    03-12-09 12:39 AM
    I know I was reading an article about a year ago and the folks over at M.I.T. had developed actually "hotspot" charging places. Kinda the same as wifi spots, but the technology would allow all electronic devices that needed to be charged to actually charge just by walking into the room, cell phones, ipods, bluetooth headsets etc. It was very interesting and that isn't too far off in the future...
    03-12-09 02:42 AM
    youtube.com/watch?v=3hOaXTkkaVw

sorry i cant post a hyperlink yet
    03-12-09 05:27 AM
    This article is an interesting read:

Wireless Charging: Intel Says They've Taken A Huge Leap in Wireless Power Tech

As is this:

Intel Moves to Free Gadgets of Their Recharging Cords

I believe its in the realm of possibility...
    I was just going to post that.

I saw this on James Mays big idea. I dont know if Out of UK people will know him. He presents a car show called Top Gear. Anyway yea he looked at this and it looks amazing. You can plug it to a wall and it will power units in different rooms.

Technology very cool.

~Joe
    03-12-09 06:55 AM

Ummm not for anything but short range inductive circuits are not gonna power the OP phone from across the room. And just because there are no "wires" doesn't make it wireless if it makes contact to the power supply in another fashion. The whole point is conductivity. Air is not conductive there for the only way to charge something through air is to have enough "power" to jump it. Short range inductive circuits can use minimal power because it's only jumping fractions of millimeters most times. To go far enough for a wireless cell phone charger to charge you would need copious amounts of power...

And before you start questioning my electronic theory I spent 3 years as a Differential Global Positioning System tech and now I am currently an avionic tech in the civilian world... I'm pretty sure I have some small clue as to what I'm talking about.
    03-12-09 07:17 AM
    I charge my PS3 controllers wirelessly (in a sense)

The is a conductor that plugs into the controller then all I have to do is rest the controller on this plate and BOOM it starts charging

There is direct contact with the charging port and the controller but you just have to place the controller on the plate...If you could develop a battery cover that tapped into the battery itself and then a charging plate with a USB port or a regular plug...might save a Micro USB port or two
    That's not wireless... There aren't any "wires" but there is still two metal contacts making contact and transfering electricity. Theoritically that's still wired. What the OP was talking about was beign able to wireless charge something without the phone having to touch anything. Basically getting a charge out of thin air.
    03-12-09 07:27 AM
    if you want wireless charging (like me)... wait for the palm pre.... it does wireless charging!!!!
    03-12-09 07:29 AM
    Yeah charging wirelessly is possible, though not through bluetooth. A year ago, or so, I read an article about a computer-mouse that was charged wirelessly. There was something special about the mousepad...
    03-12-09 07:37 AM
    So the technology is there but it has to be in contact with something. Thanks everyone

03-12-09 07:45 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD