I bought a storm and it ended up being stolen so I can not get it turned on with Verizon. Is there anyway I can bypass this and put a new ESN number on it so I can use it? Or any other way to bypass it to get it to work? Thanks
    10-09-09 01:31 PM
    pretty sure that is illegal....it would essentially be cloning a phone.

where did you buy it, can you get your money back ?
    10-09-09 01:32 PM
    all you can do is unlock it and use it with a GSM carrier
    10-09-09 01:36 PM
    it can be done. but very illegal indeed. and it will mess up your connections if someone else is using the same esn. risky business. best to use it under a gsm carrier or sell it back out.
    10-09-09 01:42 PM
    Lesson learned? Before buying a CDMA phone, get the ESN and have it checked by the carrier BEFORE you buy. If the seller won't give you the ESN, move on to another seller.
    10-09-09 01:56 PM
    in other words, no you cannot.
    10-09-09 02:24 PM
    Even if you change it the PIN would still be unable to activate on a BIS server.
    10-09-09 03:20 PM
    You can change the ESN. I do it all the time. It's normally only allowed to "Business Contract" holders. What you do is essentially an ESN swap. I doubt the regular CS guys would be able to do it for you; Or, you could do it illegally.
    10-09-09 09:44 PM
    yeah, I am wanting to go the illegal route. I got the damn phone for 25 dollars so its worth it even if it never worked lol. I have extra ESN's that are not being used and I want to put one of those on there...
    10-09-09 10:00 PM
    You do understand that changing the serial number of a cellphone is a federal offense right?

Anything that transmits a signal is under regulation of the FCC and tampering with it can mean serious fines and/or jail time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-09 10:33 PM
    Lesson learned? Before buying a CDMA phone, get the ESN and have it checked by the carrier BEFORE you buy. If the seller won't give you the ESN, move on to another seller.
    Very good advice.
    10-10-09 04:47 AM
    yeah, I am wanting to go the illegal route. I got the damn phone for 25 dollars so its worth it even if it never worked lol. I have extra ESN's that are not being used and I want to put one of those on there...
    OK. We all realize you're frustrated but how would you feel if you were the one from whom it was stolen from? You're in possession of stolen property and you want to commit a federal offense for modifying an FCC regulated device in an inappropriate manner. Stop trying to do something that'll get you in deeper and do the right thing. Try and find who is the rightful owner and return it. You may be surprised to find that they may reimburse you for you $25 that you paid for it or they already have a replacement and would be willing to work with you to remove the stolen status from it so it can be used. Besides if you're with Verizon on your old phone with a contract upgrade and rebates the phone may not cost you anything. Mine didn't. Put out $100 and 3 weeks later got it back. My Storm cost me $0.
    10-10-09 05:33 AM
    Well this thread will be locked soon
    10-10-09 08:13 AM
    i suggest you unlocking it and reselling it for GSM users out there. you will still make a profit.
    10-10-09 08:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD