Right, well, if there is a topic on this, I do apologise, but after a bit of searching, I found nothing.

So I just got my Storm, which is unlocked and running on T-Mobile (long post about coming from an iPhone 3G to a Storm coming up.)

One of my biggest complaints of the device so far, is the fact that every-time I start the device up, I'm presented the following message,

? - You have inserted a SIM Card. Would you like your BlackBerry to automatically select CDMA or GSM based on the network availability?
    Something tells me if I select Yes, My Storm will promptly attempt to register itself onto Verizon, Pressing No registers the device with my T-Mobile SIM card.

So is there any way to get rid of this pop-up, or am I mistaken in what I'm thinking selecting "Yes" will do?
    08-06-09 03:03 AM
    Its not only on your unlocked phone. My buddy just got his Storm replaced a couple days ago. Yesterday he turned the phone off then back on. He got that same message when he turned it back on. Never seen that before.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 04:55 AM
    You should be able to get rid of this by doing the following:

Go to Options > Mobile Network > Network Technology and change the setting to GSM/UMTS. This will restrict the Storm from seeing the CDMA network. I can pretty much guarantee that the reason you're seeing this message is because the phone is set to Global.

Note that to stop seeing this message while on the Verizon network, you do the opposite and set the settings to 1XEV.

This should fix your issue.
    08-06-09 04:55 AM
    You should be able to get rid of this by doing the following:

Go to Options > Mobile Network > Network Technology and change the setting to GSM/UMTS. This will restrict the Storm from seeing the CDMA network. I can pretty much guarantee that the reason you're seeing this message is because the phone is set to Global.

Note that to stop seeing this message while on the Verizon network, you do the opposite and set the settings to 1XEV.

This should fix your issue.
    Setting the phone to 1XEV does not eliminate the startup selection box for CDMA users. The only thing that will eliminate it is the removal of the SIM card, which, for GSM users, might be a bit impractical.

I've also just verified that setting the network to GSM/UMTS doesn't eliminate the startup prompt either. I didn't think it would, based on the 1XEV behavior.
    08-06-09 06:24 AM
    Setting the phone to 1XEV does not eliminate the startup selection box for CDMA users. The only thing that will eliminate it is the removal of the SIM card, which, for GSM users, might be a bit impractical.

I've also just verified that setting the network to GSM/UMTS doesn't eliminate the startup prompt either. I didn't think it would, based on the 1XEV behavior.
    I can also verify this, My Storm is set to GSM/UMTS and 3G/2G for the Network Mode.
    08-06-09 06:29 AM

I'm on Verizon, with my sim card inserted and activated.

I do not get a prompt when my setting is 1XEV.
    08-06-09 09:26 AM
    yeah, no prompt for me either, you all have another setting not set right. I never get the pop up except for the 1 time when i install an OS
    08-06-09 09:37 AM
    When the device starts up, tell the prompt yes then go into the settings and change it to whatever setting you want to use. The prompt will never return. This has been discussed several times before.

08-06-09 10:13 AM
    I only get it when I update my OS as well.

08-06-09 12:20 PM
    No prompt for me either. Just follow what Krypto wrote and it should stop popping up.
    08-06-09 12:55 PM

This is incorrect. Here's how to fix this.

Restart the phone and when you get the prompt, answer "Yes". Then manually go into Mobile Network and change it to whatever you want. As long as you don't update the OS or wipe the phone, it WILL NOT prompt you again on startup. The next time you update the OS, you'll again get the same prompt, just answer "Yes" again and then go set it to whatever you want.

This is a known OS bug.

*philip is correct in his post*
    08-06-09 07:09 PM
    I feel all warm and fuzzy, Civic.

08-07-09 06:55 PM

And this is from a Curve user ... with the signature "The Blackberry Storm: Think Stupider". Hmmm ... now where is that grey matter!
    08-07-09 08:02 PM
    And this is from a Curve user ... with the signature "The Blackberry Storm: Think Stupider". Hmmm ... now where is that grey matter!
    I use a Storm, and I have no illusions about its utility. The Curve is a more practical phone (my favorite BB so far, and the reason I've immortalized it in my profile), and the choices made for the Storm UI were, quite simply, boneheaded. I've stated my opinion of the Storm in numerous posts on CB, but my signature embodies the central issue with the Storm: One must adjust their IQ downward a minimum of 15 points to find the Storm an acceptable device. I've found that it's much more useful for drunk texting, for example, and it's especially appropriate for drunk driving, since you need someone else to drive the car while you try to dial the f%ck!ng thing . . . even when you're sober.
    08-07-09 11:19 PM
    hmm seems we have a new troll in the section....
    08-07-09 11:24 PM
    I use a Storm, and I have no illusions about its utility. The Curve is a more practical phone (my favorite BB so far, and the reason I've immortalized it in my profile), and the choices made for the Storm UI were, quite simply, boneheaded. I've stated my opinion of the Storm in numerous posts on CB, but my signature embodies the central issue with the Storm: One must adjust their IQ downward a minimum of 15 points to find the Storm an acceptable device. I've found that it's much more useful for drunk texting, for example, and it's especially appropriate for drunk driving, since you need someone else to drive the car while you try to dial the f%ck!ng thing . . . even when you're sober.
    See, now there in lies the fallacy of your statement. Since you are incapable of learning the intricacies of a new device and how to get the most out of it, you believe that anyone that uses it must have an even lower IQ then yours. Not everyone has these problems, challenges and/or the mental inadequacies when using the Storm. Good luck!
    08-08-09 04:19 AM
    I'm sorry but I took a bit of offence to that, and since this *was* my post, I think I'll make a response.

The Storm is an acceptable device, via saying that one must "adjust their IQ downward a minimum of 15 points" your, in essence, calling the entire Storm community a load of idiots, and I personally feel that in turn, you deserve that title yourself for the comments made.

As I clearly stated in my "iPhone to Storm" post within the rants/raves sub-forum, The Storm IS NOT a perfect device, I DISAGREE with anyone who says it is, The SurePress hardware feature as well as much of the Storm OS has a load of issues. This is known, but that doesn't give you the ground to say that the Storm is a horrible device, or that anyone whom uses one or finds it to be acceptable is stupid either.

I also find your point of comparing the Curve 8330 to the Storm as completely insane. The 8330 was introduced March 2008 (SRC: PhoneScoop) and is basically just a bum ugly variation upon the Curve 8300/8310 and 8320 GSM devices, It's basically an 8310, but even more crippled because it doesn't even have a SIM slot, and because it's a Verizon device, it's also lacking WiFi, which is something the 95xx series is also guilty of. The point is, Your comparing a device which was originally introduced in a GSM variation in late-2006 to a device which was introduced, in it's first stage, just under a year ago. The Storm is far more complex then your 8330, Does your screen have an assembly under it that is required to move when you press, to register a response? No. It has a plastic keyboard, like every BlackBerry since 1999.

What I'm saying is that personally, I feel your comments are quite, well, stupid, although that is purely my personal opinion, take the thoughts of a 15 year old as you will, but I'm pretty sure you'll have no issue finding lots of people on this forum who agree with my views.

I think I've said what I wanted, while managing to use acceptable language. I may get a bit of flaming to the bum for this post, but I feel as though what I said needed to be said anyway.
    Last edited by xDAKx; 08-08-09 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Done editing. Said what I wanted.
    08-08-09 04:42 AM
    See, now there in lies the fallacy of your statement. Since you are incapable of learning the intricacies of a new device and how to get the most out of it, you believe that anyone that uses it must have an even lower IQ then yours. Not everyone has these problems, challenges and/or the mental inadequacies when using the Storm. Good luck!

When I "upgraded" from the Curve, the only choices were the 8830WE (a crippled phone for my purposes; insufficient memory with only dual-mode GSM coverage), and the Storm. The Storm provided the GSM capabilities I needed, while supporting the basic functionality of a Blackberry, and was available from a provider that has served me well for many years.

I'm not going to reiterate the shortcomings of the Storm here; you can search my other posts if you really care about the specifics (although I doubt you will; fanboys hate the ugly truth). I've been using one, with all of it's "intricacies" since December 25th, have upgraded through 4 different firmware versions, and availed myself of all of the "tips 'n tricks" posted here since it's release. While stability and speed have improved, nothing has changed with regard to its flawed UI. One simply has to forget that other Blackberries have much more efficient facilities and shortcuts for getting the job done, and reconcile themselves to "go full iTard" to be marginally productive on the Storm.

The Tour seems to be a step in the right direction. When something similar with Wifi becomes available from VZW, I will likely switch.
    08-08-09 08:04 AM
    I'm sorry but I took a bit of offence to that, and since this *was* my post, I think I'll make a response.
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

The Storm is an acceptable device, via saying that one must "adjust their IQ downward a minimum of 15 points" your, in essence, calling the entire Storm community a load of idiots, and I personally feel that in turn, you deserve that title yourself for the comments made.
    I am certainly having my regrets for purchasing it, and feel that I could have made a wiser choice had one been available at the time. Unfortunately, no other VZW phone offered the GSM coverage I needed while remaining an approved device for my company.

As I clearly stated in my "iPhone to Storm" post within the rants/raves sub-forum, The Storm IS NOT a perfect device, I DISAGREE with anyone who says it is, The SurePress hardware feature as well as much of the Storm OS has a load of issues. This is known, but that doesn't give you the ground to say that the Storm is a horrible device, or that anyone whom uses one or finds it to be acceptable is stupid either.
    If the bolded text above doesn't describe a horrible device, I'm not really sure what does

Please don't misunderstand me. I do feel that the Storm's hardware is quite remarkable and a marvel of engineering. I'm still on my original Storm and physically, it's holding up well. Too bad it's crippled by a clunky UI implementation that forces the user to spend way too much time getting the job done.

I also find your point of comparing the Curve 8330 to the Storm as completely insane. The 8330 was introduced March 2008 (SRC: PhoneScoop) and is basically just a bum ugly variation upon the Curve 8300/8310 and 8320 GSM devices, It's basically an 8310, but even more crippled because it doesn't even have a SIM slot, and because it's a Verizon device, it's also lacking WiFi, which is something the 95xx series is also guilty of. The point is, Your comparing a device which was originally introduced in a GSM variation in late-2006 to a device which was introduced, in it's first stage, just under a year ago. The Storm is far more complex then your 8330, Does your screen have an assembly under it that is required to move when you press, to register a response? No. It has a plastic keyboard, like every BlackBerry since 1999.
    I'm comparing the usability of the 8330 to the usability of the Storm. While the 8330 may be older hardware, the OS implementation on the 8330 takes full advantage of its hardware capabilities . . . after all, RIM had many years of experience optimizing usability features for a thumb-based keyboard, and rushed the Storm to market with minimal revision to the OS to carve out a share of the iPhone market. The adaptation did not go well. You can see my views on its utility in other posts I've made here, so I'm not going to repeat them again.

Also, please remember that I upgraded from the 8330 to the Storm to obtain very specific hardware capabilities that the Curve lacked . . . unfortunately, at the expense of the one feature that made the Curve so superior in usability: a real keyboard and an accurate pointing device.

What I'm saying is that personally, I feel your comments are quite, well, stupid, although that is purely my personal opinion, take the thoughts of a 15 year old as you will, but I'm pretty sure you'll have no issue finding lots of people on this forum who agree with my views.
    At 15, it's entirely likely that your Storm is your first Blackberry, and that you spent a significant portion of your discretionary income to obtain it. I'm sure it's hard to admit, especially at 15, that you might have made the wrong decision given the investment involved.

I would also respectfully submit that you have virtually no basis for discussing the relative merits of the Storm's usability against other Blackberries, since you likely lack the necessary real world experience. The Storm is my 3rd Blackberry; and I've been using Blackberries daily for more than 5 years now.

I think I've said what I wanted, while managing to use acceptable language. I may get a bit of flaming to the bum for this post, but I feel as though what I said needed to be said anyway.
    For the most part, well stated and researched (especially for a 15yo; I would never have guessed), but largely irrelevant to my specific issues with the Storm . . . and my opinion still stands.
    08-08-09 08:38 AM
    I came to this post in hopes of finding a solution and instead you guys end up ranting. GJ. Who cares what you guys think about each others phone, this thread is about the storm's start up message asking for GSM/CDMA selection, which setting the phone to GSM exclusively doesn't fix. Whatever. *keeps googling*
    07-29-10 02:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD