I recently got a Storm and it's my first BB but I am pretty tech savy so I am either missing something or this is a typical feature for blackberries but I am unable to send or receive any type of message during a phone call. Is this normal for everyone? I tried searching but came up empty and all my other friends who have BBs but not Storms are able to do it so I don't know if this is a Storm issue or my issue. This includes SMS and BB Messenger basically. Any help is appreciated.
    12-05-08 11:17 PM
    EVolution
    Data
    Only

EVDO

Either data or voice, but not both at the same time.
    12-05-08 11:19 PM
    You can SMS at the same time, but not use data and voice at the same time. SMS is on the same voice channel, well rather on the signaling side for voice. My 8830 can do this at the same time, just not data. Never tried it on the Storm, but there's no reason why it wouldn't work unless it's an OS or bug limitation.
    12-05-08 11:21 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. Is this a BB issue or a Storm issue and can it be changed at all?
    You should be able to receive SMS messages while on the phone. MMS and BB you will get when you hang up. Voice and data do not operate at the same time on Verizon. I stress Verizon because it is not a Storm thing but a network limitation of CDMA.
    Ok I just tested this again, troutseth, you're right, I cannot send BB messages but can send SMS. There's no way to change any settings to allow BB messages while on the phone then?
    12-05-08 11:25 PM
    You should be able to receive SMS messages while on the phone. MMS and BB you will get when you hang up. Voice and data do not operate at the same time on Verizon. I stress Verizon because it is not a Storm thing but a network limitation of CDMA.
    which is also sprint/alltell/cricket/virgin mobile/everybody but tmobile and att.

Oh how I can't wait for LTE
    12-05-08 11:28 PM
    Ok, I officially don't get it. The other day when I went to test this out, it worked, but now tonight I am on the phone and I am only receiving a few text messages and not sending any, including one I tried to send to myself. I have received 2 of a potential 5 or 6 SMS messages. Am I missing something??
    12-07-08 10:14 PM
    Actually how it works is the CDMA 1x service is devoted for voice / sms messaging , and then the EVDO is for internet / data services such as the web / email / and multi media messaging. On the blackberries it combines all the signal together for some reason, but on a regular verizon wireless phone it seperates signal strength and gives you separate indicators for 1x service and EVDO service.
    12-07-08 10:17 PM
    Ok I just tested this again, troutseth, you're right, I cannot send BB messages but can send SMS. There's no way to change any settings to allow BB messages while on the phone then?
    No - it is not a setting but a limitation of the technology. Not gonna change until late 2009 and then it will require new phones on Verizon.
    12-07-08 10:20 PM
    But how am I able to receive some of them and send some but not all?
    12-07-08 10:24 PM

SMS . . you should be getting and receiving all of them. Keep in mind - picture messages are considered data (MMS) so text with a picture, animated icon, or video will come across as MMS and not happen while on a call
    12-07-08 10:25 PM
    No, I am talking specifically about SMS. I am writing myself an SMS message and sending it and I get a red X. The same goes for when I'm sending one to a friend, however, I got 2 of his earlier, while still on the same phone call.
    12-07-08 10:28 PM
    what is the next generation CDMA network?

will it support both at the same time like 3g gsm?
    12-07-08 10:29 PM
    LTE, Im not sure on the details
    12-07-08 10:30 PM
    No, I am talking specifically about SMS. I am writing myself an SMS message and sending it and I get a red X. The same goes for when I'm sending one to a friend, however, I got 2 of his earlier, while still on the same phone call.

Don't know about sending one to yourself . . . but you shoul dbe able to send to others. I am not having an issue there. I have no idea how you would troubleshoot that.
    12-07-08 10:34 PM
    Actually how it works is the CDMA 1x service is devoted for voice / sms messaging , and then the EVDO is for internet / data services such as the web / email / and multi media messaging. On the blackberries it combines all the signal together for some reason, but on a regular verizon wireless phone it seperates signal strength and gives you separate indicators for 1x service and EVDO service.
    Thats just a display! It dosn't physically combine both signals! WinMo phones only show evdo signal, unless you are on a call, than it shows 1x just like the blackberry's do!
    12-07-08 10:42 PM
    Oh i know it's just a display.. I was referring to if you were looking at the phone purposes.. just stating it's clearer to see and understand on a non pda phone.
    12-07-08 10:44 PM
    sms should work at the same time.. almost everyphone on verizon I have ever owned in the past 3 years sms worked at the same time as voice. I will give it a try on the storm.
    12-07-08 11:05 PM
    Yeah It should still work at the same time.. I know my current blackberry accepts them while Im on calls, because Im a good listener like that, that I text while I talk with someone hah hah.
    12-07-08 11:08 PM

that's how cricket does things. my friends will send me texts and i'll never get them, every so often. it's just the network.
    06-28-09 02:13 PM
    During a call I can receive text message, but no IM which means using data.
    06-29-09 02:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD