Before I get to the problem itself in detail, here's a little background info that may or may not be relevant. I got my Verizon Storm 9530 in early December of 2008 not too long after the initial release. Shortly thereafter (late December), I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan and currently reside there still. This issue I am about to describe has been going on for about 3 months now, with periods of no issues every once in a while for a few days, maybe even a week or two if I get lucky. The issue has persisted over about 4 different OS's, my current one being 5.0.0.230 (which, btw, is amazing.) Also, my Storm runs on the "SoftBank - vodafone NL" network out here. My Mobile Network Options are set as follows: Data Services On, While Roaming On, Network Selection Mode Automatic, Network Technology GSM/UMTS, Network Mode 3G & 2G.

My base problem is this: My phone loses connection to the BIS. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as it looks at first glance. Sometimes, the connection will work. Sometimes it won't. One of the biggest aggrevations for me is that I will have the BIS icon on my Storm, type an email, hit send, and as soon as I hit send, the BIS icon disappears and my email is left on my Storm with an error reading "Failed to send message - packet error". On occassion there is some error complaining about not having any routing information. If I immediately attempt to resend the message, it will go through about 50% of the time, but it will also sometimes error out with the message "Unknown error". This also means that actually receiving emails from my accounts is exceedingly difficult as a lot of times they simply don't show up for hours at a time, then I get flooded with like 30 emails at once.

Something similar happens when attempting to access the internet through the Browser. If the BIS icon is there, it disappears as soon as I attempt to access a web page, and I get a generic error saying that there was an error with the server.

Please for the love of all that is good and holy in this world, can someone help me fix this? I love my Storm to death, but this is causing serious issues communicating with my loved ones and I am starting to lose my patience. I have even been tempted to get an iPhone 3G from one of the local providers and canc my Storm.

If there is any info needed, just ask and it shall be provided. TIA.

--Dan
    10-02-09 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD