I am on my third storm. I got the one I have now in August. Since I got this phone I have not been able to use mass storage mode on my phone. I have a bunch of pictures that are stuck on my phone in internal memory. The Device Switch Wizard did not transfer the setting "save photos to memory card" so it has been saving to internal memory all this time. That's not to mention the fact that I lost ALL of the pictures on internal memory when I did the switch.

Anyway, in an attempt to get mass storage mode to work so I can get my photos off the phone I opened the device manager and uninstalled the USB driver so it would be reinstalled. Now the PC doesn't even know the phone exists. "Driver installation failed... could not find a driver for your device...". I have Desktop Manager installed and it doesn't detect the phone either. I just want my pictures. I tried the fix in THIS thread and it won't even run. A CMD window comes up for 1/10 of a second and dissapears. I tried compatibility mode.

Is there at least any way to move the pictures from internal memory to the card all at once? I know how to do it one by one but there's no way I'm going to spend hours doing that.

I am running Windows 7 64bit. I even plugged the phone into one of my other machines (Win7 32bit) and now it won't even load the driver.
    10-03-09 05:26 PM
    Have you tried making sure mass storage mode is enabled on the phone? And when you go to take pictures,if a card is installed, it should prompt you where to save.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-09 05:30 PM
    Mass storage is enabled. I have tried "Prompt" and "auto" and nothing works. I was never prompted as to where to store photos. I figured that setting was transferred along with virtually all of the other settings when I used the device switch wizard.
    10-03-09 05:36 PM
    Try downloading the drivers from RIM and reinstalling on your PC. You can find them at the same location where you can download DM. Alternatively, uninstall and reinstall DM and that also should reinstall the drivers.
    10-03-09 08:58 PM
    It seems a rash of refurbs over the summer were released with this issue (my phone included). There is a 'once and done' fix, however!

BB Storage Activation New

1) Download the attachment from the above link to your desktop
    2) Unzip it and run "BB Storage Activation new" in the unzipped folder. It will mention something about a boot rom.
    3) Connect your phone to your computer via USB. DOS window should indicate it found your phone and will initiate the fix
    4) Phone will reboot automatically. Disconnect the phone.
    5) When phone fully boots up again, reconnect. You should now see the two drives in windows explorer (assuming mass storage is enabled on your phone).

About the fix.

The file from pinstack is a RIM command line programmer. The 'fix' essentially enables mass storage mode via DOS command line when the phone is plugged in via USB.

The conventional way of doing this is via the front end of the OS: options / memory / Mass Storage Mode Support -> ON, however for some reason, some phones don't seem to be recognizing mass storage mode despite the proper setting on this screen.

Once you go through the above fix, your phone functions properly (can go in and out of mass storage via the OS) and the file is no longer needed.
    Last edited by mikestorm; 10-05-09 at 03:39 PM.
    10-04-09 07:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD