Im hoping to upgrade to this new .90 leak but when trying to backup using DM it gets halfway through then says there is an error and stops.

Ive tried deleting my cache as mentioned in the 'how to upgrade' thread but that hasn't helped.

Can anyone help?
    01-22-09 11:14 AM
    - Unplug the phone and plug it back in, try again
    - Restart computer & do a battery pull, try again

From time to time it's a little buggy usually a restart sorts everything out for me.
    01-22-09 11:17 AM
    Thanks for the reply but that didn't work

Any other ideas?

It freezes when it gets the 'messages' then it says there's been an error
    01-22-09 11:42 AM

Any other ideas?

Are you a BES User?
    01-22-09 12:13 PM
    Its your internet browser cache just clean it up first then try the back up. Go to your browser/options/cache operations/then click on the 3 clear buttons.
    01-22-09 12:19 PM
    Its your internet browser cache just clean it up first then try the back up. Go to your browser/options/cache operations/then click on the 3 clear buttons.

Ive doen that and it still says error.

Whats BES?
    01-22-09 12:48 PM
    Blackberry Enterprise Server...If you don't know what it is they you probably don't have it...

Are you running Windows 7?
    01-22-09 12:49 PM
    Im on windows XP

I backed up the phone when I first used DM so it has been done. It just won't now. Like I said, gets to 'messages' then...error

oh, no I havent got BES
    Last edited by Rocky Racoon; 01-22-09 at 01:07 PM.
    01-22-09 01:01 PM
    Clear the cache on your browser on your storm.

Inside the browser:
    BB Menu -> Options -> Cache Options

edit: nevermind, looks like you tried that.
    01-22-09 04:30 PM
    I can't think of the option at the moment but you can customize your backup. I.e. Only backup the address book, contacts, etc. This is how I got around the error I kept receiving. I'm not too concerned about losing my browser history or bookmarks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 04:44 PM
    BB button>show keyboard>tilt to landscape>hold down !?123>press "/"/ >bb button clear log....that should work
    01-22-09 04:45 PM
    Still nothing I have done everything so far and every time it gets to options it goes to error. any solutions
    01-22-09 05:00 PM
    What is the exact error message?
    01-22-09 05:20 PM
    Mine does exact same thing. Gets to the part where it's backing up "MMS Options" and then just throws up an error. I AM on BES, btw.

I've tried clearing out caches, etc too and it still has problems.

I'm not touching .90 until I know I have a good backup

The exact error message that I get is...

"Unknown Error"
    Last edited by bryanlyle; 01-22-09 at 05:36 PM.
    01-22-09 05:30 PM
    Bryanlyle, and Marchetti54, this is what I have done to allow backup. Start your DM, click on Bckup, @ the bckup Restr, & Adv screen, click on Advance. Remember where the error stopped @, such as MMS. Look for MMS on the right side, under Device databases, click on MMS and click clear @ the bottom of window. This is what I have done over the wkend to allow myself to bckup. After this, now when I save my bckup, it saves as the date for the default. Oh, not only broswer cache will give you an error, there will be another, @ least it was for me. Just repeat the steps. I hope this will help you all, it helped me. BTW, you must connect your storm to your computer b4 your start your journey. I'm running .75v
    01-22-09 07:34 PM
    dude... i had this same problem and found NO fix for what felt like forever.

Then i realized it! My problem wasnt one that i had heard of before, so maybe this will help. It turned out that my outlook calendar had a corrupt file. It was an appointment from like October 2007 that had an attachment that was somehow corrupt.

How i found out: it kept stopping at a certain point and giving me the error. I decided to check the log and see. (They dont copy in order, but are pretty close). I realized that i had some really old appointments that were still on my outlook. I noticed that the error popped up around calendar item 724. So, it was old.

The fix: I just went into to outlook and deleted everything from 2006-mid 2008. I figured i didnt need that crap anymore.
    Then i tried to re-sync... it worked.

Maybe that helps. Maybe so, maybe not.

Was it for this my life i sought? ...nevermind...
    01-22-09 08:46 PM
    Ive doen that and it still says error.

Whats BES?
    I was getting the same error. Clearing the cache worked for me.
    01-23-09 08:57 AM
    Rocky mine is doing the same as yours. It gets to messages and pauses for a little while and a small box pops up saying error. Backed up twice when new, then started doing this error thing for the past 2 months. Help please and yes I cleared caches in browser and battery pulled. Thanks. Almost willing to clear everything and start over. Hate to loose all contacts but this is getting old.
    01-23-09 10:07 AM

Any other ideas?

Hi! Same issue with me as well. It's probably some sort of bug. You are going to need to back up everything manually and you might have to sacrifice backing up your messages. You might need to perform a clean wipe in order to fix the error.
    01-23-09 10:27 AM
    I really don't know where you all are getting your fixes from, but if you noticed this problem is not a bug, because it isn't the same file or contact for everyone. By saying that; no matter what it is, there's a corruption where the error start and your back up stops. You don't need to wipe all your information out, that's why you have a clear button. Try my everyone's solution and if it works for you then great. That's our purpose of being here.
    01-23-09 07:55 PM
    I have had this thing for a month and have only got through back up one time.Tried everything mentioned above always stops on something different. The only it worked I moved everything over one by one in advanced. It's pretty bad when something as simple as a back up should be this hard.
    01-23-09 09:32 PM
    Similar to what slim is saying, i just go to advanced and backup 4-5 files at a time until i find what is giving me the error, then skip backup on that particular item. For me it was the browser cache, so it just doesn't get backed up. And when you're using advanced backup, hold shift to select multiple items at one time, you don't have to click them 1 by 1.
    Last edited by BBSchase373; 01-23-09 at 09:49 PM.
    01-23-09 09:46 PM
    Go to DM back/restore then go to advance start transferring until an error shows up. What ever
    Has an error highlight that application and hit clear. Keep doing this till all the errors are gone
    Then go back and try to back up the device. It should work. Took me about an hour. But it now works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 09:59 PM
    Just to add my experience - clearing the browser cache fixed it for me. If not for these forums, I doubt I would have figured it out.
    01-24-09 09:02 AM
    Marchetti54, You did just what I told everyone, and it worked for you. Hooray!! Now, if we can get all to do the same, then we have accomplished one more task. So if you all still didn't get it, anytime an error come up, do the same with the rest of the errors. Once all errors are fixed, then you back up again and save as will be the current date you are saving. This is how I did it, and you won't have anymore problems backing up until for some reason another error comes up. Then you just repeat the process.
    01-24-09 08:36 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD