We have a FedEx final destination about 5 miles away. Knowing this, and knowing my Storm was due to be delivered Monday, I knew it would be sitting 5 miles away all weekend. I called FedEx to set up a pickup of the package Sat, which I have done before instead of waiting.

The lady on the phone begins to set it up, then says, "oh wait".

Turns out that Verizon has a policy that delivery of the package has to be attempted once before a customer can go pick it up. Because of this, she would not set up a pickup.

I am trying to understand why they have this policy. So frustrating to know the phone is a few miles away and I could pick it up if not for this policy.
    12-20-08 10:06 AM
    Lol that is very weird.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 10:07 AM
    hmmmm no idea. call and ask verizon
    12-20-08 10:14 AM
    They don't want people to get their phones early
    12-20-08 10:15 AM
    I am calling another Fedex rep just to be sure...
    12-20-08 10:16 AM
    When the phone comes in un-activated, will anything on it work? I need to activate it then add it to my main plan (upgrading to family share). The guy at the store ordered it as a new line saying that he had seen screwups when upgrading to a family share plan while ordering a phone.

FedEx guy said the load would not be unpacked today so no dice.
    12-20-08 10:18 AM
    Sounds more like Fed Ex and not VZ. I have had business situations where I have had to get pkgs. from carriers rather than wait fo delivery and odd as it sounds it is a hassle for them. It interrupts the normal flow of pkgs which I understand. To their credit the frt. carriers try the best to help me out.
    12-20-08 10:35 AM
    I had problems with that back when I had Nextel and I got a new phone shipped to me. I am sure that it is just FedEx trying to make life easy for them. Although, you can just call and make up an excuse on why you need it sooner and see if that works, I don't know if that would cut it though.
    12-20-08 10:38 AM
    It's only breaking and entering if you get caught.

Unless you paid retail, they had to add the line to order the phone.
    So activatong is a piece of cake, if you're comfortable, online at Verizon wireless, or call #611.

I've never been too good at waiting for stuff like this either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 10:45 AM
    It just seemed strange the way he said not to upgrade to a family line while ordering the phone. Seemed to me that would be the easiest instead of having to call and explain to them that I want the line taken off of the individual line and combined into a family plan.

On the FedEx thing... I am not sure if it is a FedEx thing as I have gotten packages like this in the past.
    12-20-08 10:48 AM
    I tried to have a package held at the station instead of having it delivered and the FedEx rep told me that their contract with Verizon states they have to attempt one delivery and then they could hold it at the station if you call and request it.
    12-20-08 10:58 AM
    Yeah I've actually gotten in some pretty nasty arguments with the reps because of this policy. Point is, if you b**** enough, they will let you pick it up in the end. Took me a lot of back and forth with FedEx and Verizon though. The Fedex people said that there is a form that Verizon can send to them via e-mail giving you permission to pick it up from the office BEFORE the first delivery attempt. Depends on who you speak to though. Some reps are having a bad day, or a bad life from the sound of it.
    12-20-08 11:11 AM
    I just recently had the same problem. I called the night before asking if I could have it held for pickup, she said no because of the Verizon policy.

I was bummed but it came early the next morning.

First post, hey!

3rd day into my new BB Storm and I absolutely love it!
    12-20-08 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD