I have an error on my phone since I upgraded my QuickLaunch app. It is: uncaught exception:java.lang.NullPointerException.
    After repeatedly asking on that thead about it - I am asking anyone in general. Do you know what that error means and what happens if I can't get it to go away? Even when I uninstall QuickLaunch the error stays.
    07-15-09 11:59 PM
    when do you get the error?

It's a java error (obviously) usually happens when something isn't installed correctly. Usually a reboot and/or an uninstall/reinstall fixes it for me.
    07-16-09 12:10 AM
    THANK YOU!!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me. I have been asking the question for a few days and till you -no one bothered. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled everything I could think of to fix it. It happened when I installed QuickLaunch update- but after that didn't help it I uninstalled and rebooted and then reinstalled all my 3rd party apps. I really don't know what to do next and am worried that it will mess up everything on my phone if it isn't resolved.
    07-16-09 10:04 PM
    If it is really that annoying i would wipe and reinstall your storm.
    07-16-09 11:01 PM
    Did you reinstall QuickLaunch via your backed up 3rd party apps or do a reinstall via an OTA or desktop app?
    07-16-09 11:10 PM
    If it is really that annoying i would wipe and reinstall your storm.
    I could live with the error as long as I know that it won't be messing anything up with my phone. I did a wipe a while ago and it didn't go so well. I will do just about anything to avoid that again!
    07-17-09 12:35 AM
    Did you reinstall QuickLaunch via your backed up 3rd party apps or do a reinstall via an OTA or desktop app?
    I reinstalled it OTA from the Mobihand upgrade link. That is what I was doing --upgrading and when I rebooted after the first upgrade that is when I got the error- since then I can't get rid of it.
    07-17-09 12:37 AM
    is there anything specific you are doing that causes the error to come up?
    07-17-09 01:05 AM
    is there anything specific you are doing that causes the error to come up?
    The error shows up when I reboot only. When I reboot when it comes back on and runs thru it's little routine the last thing that pops up on the screen when it is complete is that error.
    I can live with it if I know that nothing will happen to my phone....cuz last time I got that error (months ago) I was on the phone with Verizon for almost 4 hours while they "walked" me thru it. In the end it included a wipe which was a nightmare! I am scarred for life from that! lol
    07-17-09 02:09 AM
    I honestly have never heard of this. I have QuickLaunch on my phone and have never had a problem remotely similar to this. If it were me, like what was mentioned before, I would just wipe it and reload everything. If you don't want to sit on the phone with Big V for hours, then maybe go to a Service Center and see if any of the techs there can help you. I am sorry I don't have any ideas or ways to help you, but like I said I have never had any problem like that. Good luck though
    07-17-09 02:43 AM
    I wouldn't worry too much about it if you don't notice anything wrong. Just make sure you do backups and/or syncs regularly (something I recommend regardless), and if at some point "it hits the fan", you can just wipe and reload then. I highly doubt it's going to blow your phone up or anything.

Obviously, when you do a reboot something that usually runs at startup errors out, but like I said, as long as everything is working for you and it's not hindering your use of the device in any way I probably wouldn't worry about it too much, especially since you don't seem too enthusiastic about the whole wipe and reload process. Just my 2�.
    07-17-09 08:45 AM
    I wouldn't worry too much about it if you don't notice anything wrong. Just make sure you do backups and/or syncs regularly (something I recommend regardless), and if at some point "it hits the fan", you can just wipe and reload then. I highly doubt it's going to blow your phone up or anything.

Obviously, when you do a reboot something that usually runs at startup errors out, but like I said, as long as everything is working for you and it's not hindering your use of the device in any way I probably wouldn't worry about it too much, especially since you don't seem too enthusiastic about the whole wipe and reload process. Just my 2�.
    Thanks Pete! I really am NOT at all enthusiastic about doing a wipe so I am going to take your advice. I do backup pretty regularly since I use the calendar as my appointment book for my nail salon. Can't afford to have those women's appointments overlap- they would kill me! lol
    I was concerned because this never happened with QuickLaunch before and I have had it for months. I upgraded everytime one came out and never had a problem there either-- just this last time. So I am going to wing it and see what happens. Hopefully if I have to wipe I can find someone to walk me thru it so I don't have to turn to Verizon.
    07-17-09 07:59 PM
    Doing a wipe and re-install is really not that difficult. There is a very good thread on the subject in the Storm OS sub-forum. If ya follow the instructions it goes pretty smoothly .

Regardless, have ya tried deleting QuickLaunch (Options>Advanced Options>Applications>highlight QuickLaunch>BB button>delete), do a battery pull and then re-installing? This might help. Seems to me a file has somehow gotten corrupted. Shouldn't really affect anything else however, since its most likely just an issue with some QuickLaunch file.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD