I'm just about sold on the Storm as a replacement for my Treo. My biggest concern is the issues I've read here about using a Storm as a music player.

Three big issues seem to be repeatedly mentioned:

1) Keeps losing the library information when there's a large number of songs (I plan on getting a 16gb card and filling it up)

2) Sound level is flaky... goes up and down w/o any apparent logic.

3) When a text message comes in, the alarm causes the player's volume to drop and it can't be reset w/o doing a battery pull.

Can this device really be counted on as my primary music player?

Thanks
    04-25-09 02:51 PM
    Hmm, works fine for me with the newer leaked OS,, but the quality from phones is not that great compared to almost any cheap mp3 player, and considerably worst than an ipod touch.
    04-25-09 02:53 PM
    I love its capacities!
    You can
    -listen to internet radio
    -put your own music on
    -use it without headphones
    -use it with headphones

My speaker quality is great. Maybe it varies between people.
    I, like you, am planning on giving up my iPod. The storm does everything it can & more (I love using it w/o headphones)

You can use media syc to add music or you can drag and drop

Make sure you get a case especially if you plan on using it for... everything. You can message me about cases, I researched a ton before choosing the Seido Innocase II.

Also, a leaked OS does make it faster and (in my opinion) more stable, so it would be best to use one if you're want your music on there.
    04-25-09 03:03 PM
    Make sure you get an extra battery too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-09 03:05 PM
    Yeah, I use it as my primary media player and, I have two 16 gb cards FULL and Slacker plus. All work with no problems.
    04-25-09 03:11 PM
    The storm is my only media player, and don't have any of the problems you listed. If you don't want the music to get interrupted during a phone call then just put the phone calls on silent while your listening. I have never had any volume issues or lost any songs.

04-25-09 03:14 PM
    I do. I don't have any of those issues. I have my Storm and my XM radio for the car and that's it. My iPod Nano has been in a drawer for a while now.
    04-25-09 03:17 PM
    1) Keeps losing the library information when there's a large number of songs (I plan on getting a 16gb card and filling it up)

I've got about 1,100 songs and i have never had an issue. At times, after syncing new music, it'll show the library empty, but a battery pull has always fixed this for me.

I've never had this happen to me, but see # 3

3) When a text message comes in, the alarm causes the player's volume to drop and it can't be reset w/o doing a battery pull.
    I have had this happen, It's happened on every OS I've ran until current .132, I have not had this issue. I hook my BB up to my cars radio, and use it in work. I depend on it A LOT as a media player.

I've found with previous operating systems to leave my ringer on vibrate so it wouldn't hurt the audio controls, and it's always worked.

I COUNT on it, all the time. In the car, at work, and in the shower!
    It's media capabilities aren't Fantastic, but it's defiantly one up on others.
    04-25-09 03:17 PM
    I actually like it over my ipod touch. It makes for a decent music (media) player. I have not had any problems out of it. With the newer OS leaks. I havn't had any of those problems, when a text message or a phone call comes in the music pauses... other then that decent music player
    04-25-09 03:18 PM
    I think it depends upon your sophistication regarding music players. If ur used to a dedicated mp3 player u prolly won't like the Storm's sound quality. It might be okay for some ppl but not others. I think my Storm's speaker sounds just okay, nothing spectacular. Maybe a little bit better than a transistor radio, but not much. With headphones they sound a lot better, but again not as good as it could be.

And the Storm's volume can't be turned up loud enough for some ppl but it goes up loud enough for me. Im a lil' older so I don't need to turn up Miles Davis or Diana Krall like some ppl want to turn up Marilyn Manson or Jay Z if you get my drift.
    04-25-09 03:21 PM
    I agree with all the positives. I was so mad at Christmas when I didn't get the Ipod I wanted but then I got the storm and I'm glad I didn't get it cause it would have been a waste of 160 bucks.

04-25-09 03:21 PM
    Is a great music player! Oh and it make's phone calls too. Lol...no but a serious note is great no complains
    Running 132 os by the way

04-25-09 03:26 PM
    Make sure you get an extra battery too.

what do you mean by this? are you implying that the battery on the storm drains when listening to music?

that is not the case for me. music seems to have little to no effect on my battery life, unless im using a streaming music app, then it is noticable.
    04-25-09 03:38 PM
    I use my storm as my music player. Its great cause I was gonna buy xm but I don't have to now, I just put slacker on haha. Battery life is ok with slacker. It got better when I upgraded my os along with the sound quality/ volume.

04-25-09 03:44 PM
    I have my 8gb card practically full and don't have any problems with the library information. I do notice the flaky sound sometimes, but it's really to sporadic to pin it down. Also, if you're on vibrate the sound won't cut out.
    04-25-09 03:45 PM
    I'm just about sold on the Storm as a replacement for my Treo. My biggest concern is the issues I've read here about using a Storm as a music player.

Three big issues seem to be repeatedly mentioned:

Thanks
    I've been using it to play music daily for the last 4 months. The sound quality is great
    With or without headphones. I turn it on and let it play on my night stand every night when I go to bed.

The only issue I have is lost songs. I've never seen it display the same total # of songs twice in a row. Some times it says I have 500, 950, 1014, 312, etc. Dunno what's up with that. It has happened with
    Every OS I've used.

04-25-09 03:57 PM
    Since I got the storm my ipod touch sits on the shelf. Maybe i'll break it out to try 3.0 but my storm is my primary music player!

04-25-09 04:02 PM
    Thanks for all the responses. Much more positive than I was expecting.

That's good news!

04-25-09 04:22 PM
    I haven't used my iPod since I've had Blackberry phones in general... and with my wireless Bluetooth headset, it eliminates annoying wires getting in the way while working out.
    04-25-09 05:07 PM
    As far as streaming radio goes, the Storm seems to do really well. I love streaming Slacker over bluetooth at work! However, MP3 management with the Storm & a Mac is not really fun. I use BB Media Sync and it takes forever. I tried the drag & drop method prior to that software, but the Storm would never recognize all my music if I tried moving over more than 1,000 songs. As long as I keep it under 1,000 I don't have a problem. That's frustrating. If I move over all 1,500 of my iTunes songs (all non-DRM) I lose around 500 or so. The number is never the same.

I'm running .75. Can't update to a leaked OS from my Mac, so I guess I'm just stuck until VZ decides to grace us with a software update. As my Storm has reset itself several times today, with no apps running, I might not make it to the magical firmware update......
    04-25-09 05:08 PM
    I wouldn't use it as my main music player. The battery life's not good enough and the sound quality is good but not great
    04-25-09 05:15 PM
    It works fine for me. One thing I did was buy a few 2gig + 4 gig cards. Keep music + movies separately that way. It makes it easier to reformat my cards + put different movies on them. Check out inkstop or comp usa they often have as low as $5.
    04-25-09 05:58 PM
    i use it all the time (Slacker FTW). just gotta keep the charger close... Slacker has the ability to chew through some battery life like a rat through a bunch of wires
    04-25-09 06:03 PM
    Storm is beast when it comes to music. It plays almost everything lol

04-25-09 06:39 PM
    Its very true that the storm's music capabilities are amazing I have it as my music player while commutin these days. The I ly problem seems to be the bug that kill the volume and sound quality when the device alerts are activated when a call comes in, or receiving a message. For me that's unbearable, I didn't experience that on my bold, and imo, storm's sound quality can never beat bold's, in terms of audio and bass reproduction.

04-25-09 06:46 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD