Downloaded the new OS last week (5.0.0.328) on the Storm and the SMS changes seem horrible.

My own text is crowded into a little space. I don't use or like emoticons. I can't hit the return key anymore for spacing; it just instantly sends the text. I can't (or can't figure out how) to send the same text to multiple contacts since there's no more cursor in the contacts box.

Is there a way to get the old layout and methods back?

Sorry to be so ignorant!

Thanks, David
    11-05-09 05:51 PM
    I hear ya, it is just awful! I am also questioning MMS as well, when I get a simple picture it reads it as a slide show. First the text will show up with the picture "x"'-ed out, then the picture will show up just like a slide show. Clearly RIM has issues going on with the SMS/MMS. I just hope they fix it and or give us a update to change it back to the way it was. I think that is the only thing I have found on 5.0 that really bothers me. And when I say "bothers me" I actually mean I ******* HATE it.
    11-05-09 05:57 PM
    Just go back to 4.7 if you feel that distraught about it...simple is that

But no, there is no way of changing it
    11-05-09 06:07 PM
    I hear ya, it is just awful! I am also questioning MMS as well, when I get a simple picture it reads it as a slide show. First the text will show up with the picture "x"'-ed out, then the picture will show up just like a slide show. Clearly RIM has issues going on with the SMS/MMS. I just hope they fix it and or give us a update to change it back to the way it was. I think that is the only thing I have found on 5.0 that really bothers me. And when I say "bothers me" I actually mean I F#$#@ing HATE it.
    Anger issues? Lol. It would be nice if they did give us the option to switch from the original or to threaded. I hate how I can't forward texts from someone. I can't delete just one thing and select more than one person to send to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 06:09 PM
    I beleive there is an alternate SMS app that give you the more traditional SMS on 5.0... not sure though but I remember hearing about it.
    11-05-09 06:11 PM
    Anger issues? Lol. It would be nice if they did give us the option to switch from the original or to threaded. I hate how I can't forward texts from someone. I can't delete just one thing and select more than one person to send to.

To forward tap the chat line you want to forward then hit the bb key and select forward and it will send as a single text, do the same thing but select delete to delete just that one text out of all of them. And when you compose a sms it always give me option to send it to multiple people? Are you sure your running 328?

11-06-09 07:43 PM

Actually you can do everything you said...
    11-06-09 07:48 PM
    And when you compose a sms it always give me option to send it to multiple people? Are you sure your running 328?

Can you tell me how you're doing that? When I go to "Contacts" and select a name, then "SMS so and so" I get a big blank white space, which will contain a previous message if I'm responding, with the recipients name up above that. But there's no way to get the cursor up there or anything on the menu that lets me add another contact.
    11-06-09 08:12 PM
    Here is my problem i can not recieve any crackberry ringtones through sms .after the 5.0 update . the ink does not work .but can recieve wallpaper? also i noticed that the ( get link) option is no longer availible in the new version of the os . and i also noticed that the attachment icon does not appear on the e - mail.after recieving it from crackberry i was wondering is verizon gonna give a new update to fix the problems with the new os. if anyone knows a fix for this problem please help
    Last edited by BIGG JEFFY; 11-06-09 at 09:13 PM.
    11-06-09 08:21 PM
    Can you tell me how you're doing that? When I go to "Contacts" and select a name, then "SMS so and so" I get a big blank white space, which will contain a previous message if I'm responding, with the recipients name up above that. But there's no way to get the cursor up there or anything on the menu that lets me add another contact.
    You have to go to SMS and click at the very top, or compose new, and then you get a box where you type the name, press enter, and type the other name, and then when you're done press "ok"
    11-06-09 08:51 PM
    You have to go to SMS and click at the very top, or compose new, and then you get a box where you type the name, press enter, and type the other name, and then when you're done press "ok"
    Yea like this or in any of your email, messages, or sms folders hit the bb key n go to compose sms text then select a contact and another empty spot will popup for another.

11-06-09 09:58 PM
    When I go to the SMS icon, choose compose new, select my contact, IF there is an old, existing SMS between me and them, it picks up on it and continues the SMS. It refuses to start a new SMS to my contact. It's like an insolent child...... lol
    11-07-09 05:26 AM
    I agree with preferring the old system (but then again I liked Windows 3.11...). Embarrassed myself a few times hitting the return key to skip a line and finding out I'd sent the message instead!
    11-07-09 06:35 AM
    I have faith that they will fix this soon.
    11-07-09 06:43 AM
    Just go back to 4.7 if you feel that distraught about it...simple is that

But no, there is no way of changing it
    That's a little extreme isn't it? Just for an annoyance with threaded SMS?

I don't mind the new stuff but I would like to go back to the old as well
    11-07-09 07:43 AM
    Oh, THERE was the key! I had long ago hidden the SMS key as unnecessary since you could go through "Contacts" in the same # of strokes to send an SMS. So I've had to add a bit of extra clutter and re-instate the SMS icon. But it works for the multiple contacts, thanks!

Now if only I could have my return key back...
    11-07-09 07:45 AM
    That's a little extreme isn't it? Just for an annoyance with threaded SMS?

I don't mind the new stuff but I would like to go back to the old as well
    Not being an intense user, I don't really know what the latest upgrade does for me. It does seem faster. But the one thing I do know is that the SMS is not as good (for me!) as the old one. But it does seem as if one could have the old SMS program while retaining the new OS.
    11-07-09 07:49 AM
    When I go to the SMS icon, choose compose new, select my contact, IF there is an old, existing SMS between me and them, it picks up on it and continues the SMS. It refuses to start a new SMS to my contact. It's like an insolent child...... lol
    Yea.. that right there is what drives me nuts. I mean I dont mind the new layout for SMS, I just dont like how the system organizes the texts. I would like to have all SMS seperated by day and contact, not just contact. Cuz like you said, then you seem to have this looong conversation with one contact that goes on for days.

Also, there is no option on how to sort the SMS. Ascending - Descending and vice versa.
    11-07-09 08:42 AM
    I'm not a big fan of the new SMS. I like the design but the user friendlyness of it sucks. I get hundreds of texts on Friday and Saturday nights with football scores and it was so easy for me to keep track of the incoming scores before. Now I find it next to impossible. I dont really care to see my texts to one person as a conversation. I liked each text getting its own line. If one person sent me multiple texts i could click on each one individually. now i have one box and have to scroll to find it. Just annoying.
    11-07-09 10:12 AM
    I posted this before and i will do it again

lol, you all bitched about getting iphone like threaded sms, now you have it and dont like it. Tough ****! I agree it could be better, but i think its worlds better than having 500+ sms messages to sort through in the main folder

you cant please everyone, but i would say 90% of the people on here wanted threaded SMS and you now have it. RIM isnt going to tweak it much either IMO.

delete the old messages then when you are done with a conversation.

As stated above, you can save, forward, delete each conversation still also. Like alot of things, you just have to do it differently. Personally i think i could use more space, the callback number is hella annoying and the tittle bar up top is too.
    11-07-09 10:26 AM
    i understand your pain. I Love and Hate the new sms i have .230 on my tour
    11-07-09 10:27 AM
    I like the threaded messaging. I'm not sure if it's already been answered but you can send a message to multiple people as long as you compose a brand new one. I don't see any forwarding option
    11-07-09 11:54 AM
    I have faith that they will fix this soon.
    Imminent let down is imminent...

11-07-09 12:38 PM
    Forwarding is there in the BB menu. And you could send to multiple contacts in the old one. So that's nothing new xluben.

I for one did not want it. I would be fine with it if it was more refined. Its almost as if someone who never used a threaded msg. system put it together.

11-09-09 12:22 AM
    I love threaded SMS except with youmail. It makes youmail texts cluttered and useless.
    11-09-09 02:51 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD