I was told by VW that I would be charged for each email I recvd while in mexico whether I read them or not, and while I could put a block on text messages, I could NOT block emails (since Im on a data plan). I dont want to get back from my trip with a huge surprise bill!

Any suggestions on how I could stop email from forwarding to my Storm for a week, so that I could still use it as a phone if needed.

And second, if I dont browse the internet, and only use the phone to make an occasional call, will I incur any data charges that week?

They told me that I could purchase an international data plan for $64, but I dont really care if I have access to it or not for that week, I just want to have the phone, in case something happens and I need to make a call.

Any ideas from others that have traveled with the Storm would be appreciated.
    04-20-09 09:49 PM
    You would be charged roaming data access, which is incredibly expensive. Best thing you can do is log into the BIS site and delete your e-mail addresses, and readd them when you get back
    04-20-09 09:52 PM
    You would be charged roaming data access, which is incredibly expensive. Best thing you can do is log into the BIS site and delete your e-mail addresses, and readd them when you get back
    You would think that VW could have told me that!

So if I delete my email from BIS, and have VW block texting, leave my dataplan on (but dont do any browsing). And just use my Storm for an occasional phone call, I should be ok, right?

Thanks!
    04-20-09 09:59 PM
    this is why there is no wifi
    04-20-09 10:06 PM
    Verizon will be able to block sms/mms at your request. I think they can do it for data as well but there is an option to block data on the phone.

Options > Mobile Network > Data Services > OFF (or OFF WHEN ROAMING)

Should do the trick.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-09 10:09 PM
    this is why there is no wifi
    It's a conspiracy. I personally think Verizon told RIM that if there is WiFi, they will not carry RIM's phones... So they can make all this money on roaming data charges... Suckers!

04-20-09 10:13 PM
    Verizon will be able to block sms/mms at your request. I think they can do it for data as well but there is an option to block data on the phone.

Options > Mobile Network > Data Services > OFF (or OFF WHEN ROAMING)

Should do the trick.

It would be nice if VW knew this. I was told that there was NO WAY to block data without disabling the phone, and there was no way for them to put a block on data for the Storm.

Thanks for your help, it looks like VW customer service needs some training!
    04-20-09 10:17 PM
    You would think that VW could have told me that!

So if I delete my email from BIS, and have VW block texting, leave my dataplan on (but dont do any browsing). And just use my Storm for an occasional phone call, I should be ok, right?

Thanks!
    VW did tell you that. I'm a VW tech rep. Yes, that is true. Also make sure you have international dialing and the value plan.
    04-20-09 10:18 PM
    Search Verizon Rep on the forums and you'll know why they told you that.

By the way, I didn't try this myself (I haven't had a chance to go roaming with my Storm yet) so make sure you check your bill.
    04-20-09 10:19 PM
    Darthkuriboh: Are you allowed to help customers "say other CB members that contact you through CB"?

Sometimes, I see no sense of wasting my time trying to get things corrected through customer service.

Let's say I sent you a PM for my clicking or dust under screen issues and can you authorize a replacement?
    04-20-09 10:22 PM
    Search Verizon Rep on the forums and you'll know why they told you that.

By the way, I didn't try this myself (I haven't had a chance to go roaming with my Storm yet) so make sure you check your bill.
    ok thanks. Has anyone else tried this, turning data services off while in another country, & just used the phone as a phone?

Ill turn off my BIS email, and my data services just to be safe.
    Sounds like this will work, but I dont want to be surprised when I get back.

Thanks.
    04-20-09 10:23 PM
    wow, t-mobile has an "international e-mail" plan just for this
    04-20-09 10:24 PM
    VW did tell you that. I'm a VW tech rep. Yes, that is true. Also make sure you have international dialing and the value plan.
    I dont know anything about international dialing or a value plan. Is that something that I need to add to my plan before my trip? The VW rep didnt mention either of these when I talked to her.

Thanks for your help.
    04-20-09 10:25 PM
    Making phone calls in Mexico -> $0.99 per minute (incoming or outgoing)
    Calling From Mexico

Global Email -> $69.99/month or $64.99 with calling plan (if you are only going for a few days, you may be able to add this only for the time you're there and spend about $2.30 per day and VZW will prorate the charges for only the time you're there.)
    Calling From Mexico
    04-20-09 11:08 PM
    The two links take you to identical page. Click different tabs to see other services.

International Roaming / GlobalEmail / GlobalAccess
    04-20-09 11:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD