When I try to open the camera on the phone an error pops up saying "Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again." After closing everything that could close the problem is still there.

I have tried a battery pull but that didn't help either.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to completely reinstall the core OS to fix it?

Thanks in advance for help.

-D
    11-11-09 05:48 PM
    Nope, i have called VZW about this several times and all they want to do is wipe the device and start over. Well last week i wiped and didnt install a single 3p app and it started doing it again. I called today and politely expressed my frustration and how i have a 3 year old, i need my camera when i hit the button not a moment later......new device on the way!!! Hopefully they were feeling nice and sent an s2 but if not i hope the new device doesnt act this way!!
    11-11-09 05:59 PM
    yet another post on the first page of the exact same thing...

wipe w/ jlcmdr or bbsak (in other words, no OS loaded) and then load fresh. if that doesn't work, then it needs to be replaced.

oh, and Triton- it has nothing to do with being nice. It has everything to do with what your warranty covers and inventory on hand. Should the S1 inventory be depleted, then you'd probably get a S2... but not before, unless you're upgrading.
    11-11-09 06:20 PM
    ok i have the same problem too. should i just call verizon about this?
    11-11-09 06:23 PM
    ok i have the same problem too. should i just call verizon about this?

wipe w/ jlcmdr or bbsak (in other words, no OS loaded) and then load fresh. if that doesn't work, then it needs to be replaced.

oh, and Triton- it has nothing to do with being nice. It has everything to do with what your warranty covers and inventory on hand. Should the S1 inventory be depleted, then you'd probably get a S2... but not before, unless you're upgrading.
    Read^

10char
    11-11-09 07:29 PM
    I would occasionally get the same pop up. It would happen after I was using Slacker. But for me, a battery pull/quick pull would always fix it.
    11-11-09 09:51 PM
    Read^

10char
    I hate to sound dense, but could you be clear on what the bbsak and that other thing is you mentioned. Would that happen to be the two files you have to delete when you are loading a os onto your phone. Im in the dark here. I loaded .328 on a buddies phone, well his phone kept freezing up, so I downgraded the phone back down to .148. This was several weeks ago, and everything seem fine until now. He has stated the led does not blink when he recieves and sms, and the option is turned on. And now the camera is doing what you guys are talking about. I don't know if the problem can be resolved with the os that is on it, or if I should try and upgrade his phone back to the new os I put on it before, or just leave this thing alone and ask for forgiveness.
    11-12-09 06:02 PM

sorry dasle not you but this is the one I was talking about. What is "Wipe w/ jlcmdr or bbsak"?
    11-12-09 06:03 PM
    sorry dasle not you but this is the one I was talking about. What is "Wipe w/ jlcmdr or bbsak"?
    bbsak is basically a program developed to give users more access to their phone above and beyond Desktop Manager. It'll allow you to completely wipe the phone and install an OS on it fresh. You can find it at the link below:

RIMGeeks.com • View topic - [Beta][8/18/09] BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife v1.5

jlcmdr does something similar to I think...
    11-12-09 08:40 PM
    Make sure you read up on restoring a bricked device. I wiped using bbsak twice, bricked one phone. That sucked.
    11-12-09 09:02 PM
    I had this same issue on my launch day Storm and Verizon sent me a new one (or a like new refurbished one - I really can't tell). It worked out great for me as I was having other issues with my original Storm - touchscreen not working properly and my green and back key not working occasionally - but since those issues couldn't be constantly reproduced the camera error was the only thing that got me a new device. I'm quite happy as I didn't want to have to pay more money and/or extend my contract to get a new phone that I wouldn't be happy with (not interested in any of the current BlackBerry offerings) so hopefully this new Storm will last me another year when hopefully something better will be out.
    11-12-09 09:37 PM
    Has anyone noticed that this problem started after the upgrade to the OS? Can I go back to the older OS just to see if it will fix it? Any suggestions will be appreciated. This is an unlocked blackberry so I can't go to Verizon for them to replace it unfortunately.

Thanks again.

-D
    11-13-09 02:24 PM
    I have the same issue and had it randomly start working again for about a day, maybe two... But I never figured out why and now it's back to the message coming up. I was really hoping I could find a way to fix it without needing a new one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 03:54 PM
    I can't use the camera at all. If someone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I got this phone from a friend so I can't call verizon and get another one. Thanks.
    04-19-10 07:21 PM
    this is ridiculous...why is this problem so pervasive....i too have an infant and have been super pissed that i can't use the camera and miss the a great photo...i am really starting to get upset with RIM and the Storm.
    04-20-10 01:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD