Hey everybody. I am new to the Blackberry scene and to these forums. I got a Storm about a week ago and I absolutely love it. I have been picking up a lot of tips and info from here so thanks for everything. So here is my problem.

When I try to open my camera up on the phone using either the right convenience key or the icon, a message comes up that says

"Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again."

I then have to click on a highlighted "Ok" button and it closes me out of the camera app. Anybody had this problem before or know of any fixes? I did a battery pull and still no luck. I am running .75 that came on the phone still. I haven't gotten the confidence to try an upgrade yet. I also spilled a little water on the phone a few days ago but shut it down, dried it with a blow dryer, and let it sit for a while and everything works perfectly. I think I remember using the camera after this but I really am not positive if I did or not so that may be it.

Another question I have is what is memory leak that everyone talks about? I think I am getting it as my space goes from 40+ to 20+ randomly. Any solutions? Thanks in advance for the help.
    02-08-09 10:57 PM
    hold down the bb key and see if it is open already in the list of icons.
    it should still be able to open but try that first

water may have damaged it
    02-08-09 11:00 PM
    That error appears when either there are too many apps open or their is physical damage to the camera. For there being too many apps open, do what was already suggested of holding the BB key down until the app switcher appears. Now close each of the apps by clicking on the app, pressing the bb key and clicking close. There are five apps that you can't close (Phone, Browser, Home Screen, Messages and BB Messenger). Now try the camera again. If it still doesn't work, try a battery pull. Now try the camera once more. If it doesn't work, try a wipe and restore of the device. Now try the camera one final time. If it doesn't work this time, there is probably damage to the camera.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-09 11:53 PM
    My camera also crapped out, in addition to sound. "What, no ringer all of a sudden?!?!" Shutting down, pulling the battery, reinserting it and powering back up seems to have fixed it. So, give it a shot, if you have not already.

Anyone else having weird things happen since installing Slacker music player? Kind of a pain, but still worth it.
    02-09-09 12:22 AM
    my phone does he same thing and i have to do a battery pull every freakin time its kind of embarrassing when i tell people hold on my camera not working and dont get me started on the video camera
    02-09-09 12:42 AM
    Sounds like water damage. Depends on what apps you have, some leak more memory than others.
    02-09-09 06:50 AM
    Okay, I tried closing all the apps and have done several battery pulls and can't get it to work. Maybe it is water damage, but everything else is working fine. The water indicator has turned red though. Any ideas on trying to take it back to Verizon since it is a little over a week old? I'm worried they will just look at the indicator and say no to a replacement. Other than the indicator, there is no evidence of damage and everything other than the camera functions just fine. I have read where that indicator can be way too sensitive and turn red even without being wet so maybe I can get lucky? Anybody taken one back with the indicator turned? If I can't resolve it, I am fine with just not having a camera but it seems that so many users have had a camera problem that they might be willing to fix it if they don't notice water damage anywhere on the phone. Thanks for the help.
    02-09-09 12:56 PM
    Could TalkLock be causing this problem? I noticed when closing all my apps that I couldn't close this one.
    02-11-09 11:24 AM
    My camera also crapped out, in addition to sound. "What, no ringer all of a sudden?!?!" Shutting down, pulling the battery, reinserting it and powering back up seems to have fixed it. So, give it a shot, if you have not already.

Anyone else having weird things happen since installing Slacker music player? Kind of a pain, but still worth it.
    Yes, I have had the same issue of weird stuff. I still can't my camera to work though. And it is all happened since I installed Slacker. I love slacker, but there must be something quirky with it since I have had these problems. Battery pull didn't work for me. I had no issues with my phone before slacker.
    02-17-09 01:18 AM
    Okay, I tried closing all the apps and have done several battery pulls and can't get it to work. Maybe it is water damage, but everything else is working fine. The water indicator has turned red though. Any ideas on trying to take it back to Verizon since it is a little over a week old? I'm worried they will just look at the indicator and say no to a replacement. Other than the indicator, there is no evidence of damage and everything other than the camera functions just fine. I have read where that indicator can be way too sensitive and turn red even without being wet so maybe I can get lucky? Anybody taken one back with the indicator turned? If I can't resolve it, I am fine with just not having a camera but it seems that so many users have had a camera problem that they might be willing to fix it if they don't notice water damage anywhere on the phone. Thanks for the help.
    I don't think it's because of water. I am having the same issue and it all started when I installed slacker. Do you have this application on yours? It probably some issue with the phone itself, but mine hasn't had any other issues besides this.
    02-17-09 01:21 AM
    I have the same issue, also started after slacker install, battery pull fixes it for awhile.
    02-17-09 06:51 PM
    I began having the same issue with the camera about 3 weeks after i got the storm. I have dropped it a couple times but the thing is pretty sturdy there arent any scratches or any other problems. However a couple weeks ago it stopped giving me the app message and the camera was working again. But then after a couple of days the message started coming up again. Ive done countless battery pulls and tried closing the apps and still the camera doesnt work. If it continues doing that i just might get a new one cuz ive had it for a while and i just love the phone so yeah. BUT if someone has any type of answer that will help me i might not have to get a new one so HELP ME please thank you
    02-24-09 04:33 PM
    Blame Slacker, if you use it.

I get the same error if I have been running Slacker, even if Slacker and all other excess applications are shut down. A battery pull instantly corrects it, until I run Slacker again. I think it's a memory leak issue.
    02-24-09 04:40 PM
    Cjallen1, does your led status indicator work? I think in your case its water damage.. Anybody have a pic/ link of what the water indicator should look like?
    Last edited by wwwdotanthony; 02-25-09 at 01:31 PM.
    02-25-09 12:13 PM
    I'm having the exact same issue. I'd say it pops up 40% of the time when I open the camera app. I retry numerous times even with only the defaulted apps running. I also have issues with taking videos. It either records and says it had an error while saving or saves and will not playback displaying 'unsupported format.'

I've taken pretty good care of the phone though; it's always in a protective skin, never dropped and needless to say no water damage. I do have slacker installed which seems to have an array or problems running on my phone. It's a great program, but when I'm listening via the auxillary port in my truck every other song switches the audio back to the storm's speakers and i have to take the plug out and back in so that it'll switch back over and subsequently switch to the next track. ...but that's another thread another day..

Any recommendations on a camera fix???
    02-25-09 12:45 PM
    What is slacker? Is it diff than the original media player?
    02-25-09 02:06 PM
    What is slacker? Is it diff than the original media player?
    Its a music radio app.

I also had slacker installed and now my camera started giving me that error. I did a wipe and fresh install of .75 and it didn't work. I also upgraded to .109 and still get the same error. I'm just gonna go to VZW and get a replacement, will they give me a refurb or new storm?
    02-26-09 09:20 AM
    Its a music radio app.

I also had slacker installed and now my camera started giving me that error. I did a wipe and fresh install of .75 and it didn't work. I also upgraded to .109 and still get the same error. I'm just gonna go to VZW and get a replacement, will they give me a refurb or new storm?
    They always give refurbished phone for replacement.

02-26-09 09:27 AM
    I have had my Storm for two weeks and its been a gem. Only issue that I am having is with the camera. When I try to take a picture the flash on the camera stays on for like 10 seconds. After the flash goes off, then the picture snaps...Any suggestions?? I am hoping that this is an error that can be fixed in the future by a software update....
    02-27-09 02:32 PM
    I had the same issue...I also had slacker installed..Also my LED light wasn't working..Well it worked when it wanted to.I didn't have my bedside mode and the LED light fuction was on. I went to vzw & they mailed me a re-furb. storm in 2 days....My first Storm was made in Mexico & the 2nd one is made in Canada...This one works better then ever...But I will not be installing Slacker
    02-28-09 07:09 PM
    this camera thing happened to me. i just did a reboot and works fine. i did have a bunch of apps "running" in the background though (googlemaps, mobireader, nobex radio companion, slacker radio).
    03-10-09 10:57 AM
    I have a storm and slacker. Had the same error message, batt pull and now the camera works again.
    03-10-09 08:23 PM
    Just want to also confirm that I have had this problem with 30+ mb free , even after closing all open apps and Slacker is the culprit. I will NOT however be stopping using Slacker , its just tooo nice an app...
    06-29-09 02:39 AM
    I have had the same problems like after taking a video I go back and try to play it back I get the same error of unsupported format.this thru my for a loop how can I make the video,save it and get unsupported format with the same device.my question is there any way to reformat the video so it can be played or even be able to transfer the file to my pc using the media manager?

Last edited by hellstormin; 07-03-09 at 09:15 PM.
    07-03-09 09:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD