Hi,
    How will the speed of the internet browser connection of the Storm compare to that of the Verizon Curve? How will the speed compare to wi-fi on the iPod?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by Yankel; 10-19-08 at 07:59 PM.
    10-19-08 07:54 PM
    it depends on where you when your trying to browse the internet, but verizon has better 3G coverage then AT&T
    10-19-08 07:59 PM
    I need to be able to access an internet website and fill out some forms at that website. Which of the three options (Storm, Curve or iPod on wifi) would be the fastest?
    10-19-08 08:02 PM
    it depends on where you when your trying to browse the internet, but verizon has better 3G coverage then AT&T
    What does the OP's question have anything to do with AT&T??

Anyways, the Storm's browser is at least twice the speed of the 8330's.
    10-19-08 08:03 PM
    What does the OP's question have anything to do with AT&T??

Anyways, the Storm's browser is at least twice the speed of the 8330's.
    the OP edited his post and originally asked about the iphone
    10-19-08 08:05 PM
    Physicians now must start using an electronic prescription service and fill out a form at a website to file the script. This could be done in the exam room with a handheld device.
    This is the basis of my question. Would the phone service of the Verizon Curve or Storm be faster than a wif-fi connection with the new iPod?
    10-19-08 08:07 PM
    i don't think that the 3G would be faster then wifi
    10-19-08 08:09 PM
    i don't think that the 3G would be faster then wifi
    I think there is more to it than just data speed. If you recall when the Bold Browser bug was discovered it was in a comparison with a 3G iPhone running on the same network as the Bold.
    10-19-08 08:11 PM
    Does it seem that the wifi connection from my office wireless router using an iPod will be faster than the the Storm?
    10-19-08 08:15 PM
    Yes, no carrier has a network faster than a WiFi connection at the moment. Just go with the WiFi if you are staying in your office.
    10-19-08 08:28 PM
    If you're in range of the WiFi router and are getting good signal, and there's not any significant congestion on the office network to begin with, you can probably get better speed using the Wifi on the iPod.
    10-19-08 08:28 PM
    Does it seem that the wifi connection from my office wireless router using an iPod will be faster than the the Storm?
    You also need to ensure that your connection is secure right? I don't know how to rate the security of VZW's EV-DO (3G) versus AT&T HSPDA. I do know that if you don't have proper security around a WiFi, you're aching for a HIPAA violation.

BlackBerry devices are inherently more business oriented than iPhones. You might also want to consider the application you'll be accessing. A tablet PC might serve you better.

If I were in your shoes, I would contact business reps from VZW or AT&T as well as an IT professional. You should also verify what the security requirements are to be in compliance. Some browsers aren't suitable for that.
    10-19-08 08:35 PM
    the OP edited his post and originally asked about the iphone
    Sorry, didn't know that.

Physicians now must start using an electronic prescription service and fill out a form at a website to file the script. This could be done in the exam room with a handheld device.
    This is the basis of my question. Would the phone service of the Verizon Curve or Storm be faster than a wif-fi connection with the new iPod?
    I'm pretty sure there is a application for that need that's compatible with Blackberry.

Wifi is faster than 3G. I haven't used CDMA Rev A, but I kow AT&T's 3G doesn't penetrate buildings very well(yet! waiting on 850MHz to be entirely overlayed). Hence a need for Wifi.
    10-19-08 08:39 PM
    Sorry, didn't know that.
    Wifi is faster than 3G. I haven't used CDMA Rev A, but I kow AT&T's 3G doesn't penetrate buildings very well(yet! waiting on 850MHz to be entirely overlayed). Hence a need for Wifi.
    I work on the top floor of a 6-story office building and have had no problems getting a good EV-DO signal on my LG Dare; I've even surfed the web and checked e-mail while in the elevator. I spent a part of the summer in much taller buildings in New York City, and similarly had no issues with EV-DO signal penetration. My poor BB8820 only has EDGE, so I can't offer a meaningful comparison with AT&T's 3G.
    10-19-08 08:42 PM
    I work on the top floor of a 6-story office building and have had no problems getting a good EV-DO signal on my LG Dare; I've even surfed the web and checked e-mail while in the elevator. I spent a part of the summer in much taller buildings in New York City, and similarly had no issues with EV-DO signal penetration. My poor BB8820 only has EDGE, so I can't offer a meaningful comparison with AT&T's 3G.
    If you currently have no problems with reception now, I can't see how you would with the Storm and Rev A. And the Storm is much faster than the Curve, or Dare. It should be just what you're looking for.
    10-19-08 08:45 PM
    If you currently have no problems with reception now, I can't see how you would with the Storm and Rev A. And the Storm is much faster than the Curve, or Dare. It should be just what you're looking for.
    Oh, I know. I'm already completely sold on the Storm. Just thought I would post that for the OP's (and any others') benefit who have doubts about EV-DO penetration in buildings.

What Gawain said about proper security is a good point, though. My current employer requires us to only use the Blackberry Browser on our BBs, and doesn't allow us to download any third-party browsers onto our BBs, because apparently only the Blackberry Browser is compliant with our security requirements. I'm not sure if this is because our IT people have only tested the Blackberry Browser, or if other browsers have been tested and found lacking (they're currently doing limited testing of the iPhone for security concerns), but it's definitely something to look into if you'll be working with confidential data on your device.
    10-19-08 08:50 PM
    Thanks for all the helpful answers.
    I think that the tablet PC may be the best option. However, the ability for the doctor to keep the iPod in his pocket and take it to each exam room is a plus. It would be ill-advised to leave the tablet PC or a laptop laying around with securing it properly.
    10-20-08 10:08 AM
    You also need to ensure that your connection is secure right? I don't know how to rate the security of VZW's EV-DO (3G) versus AT&T HSPDA. I do know that if you don't have proper security around a WiFi, you're aching for a HIPAA violation.
    I'd imagine that any sort of web form for prescriptions would be protected in SSL, which is end-to-end application layer protection.
    10-20-08 05:45 PM
    Thanks for all the helpful answers.
    I think that the tablet PC may be the best option. However, the ability for the doctor to keep the iPod in his pocket and take it to each exam room is a plus. It would be ill-advised to leave the tablet PC or a laptop laying around with securing it properly.
    Not blackberry-related, but look into the OQO PC. Full PC power/ability (including 3g cellular networks and wifi) in a big pocket/hip holster form factor. Might be just what you're looking for...

*to make this post crackberry/storm friendly*
    I'm looking forward to testing the Storm with our company's time tracking software. WIll be nice to demo to my co-workers.
    10-20-08 05:55 PM
    I'd imagine that any sort of web form for prescriptions would be protected in SSL, which is end-to-end application layer protection.
    True, but if the router is not properly maintained, it can be cracked and the traffic can easily be intercepted.
    10-20-08 09:11 PM
    True, but if the router is not properly maintained, it can be cracked and the traffic can easily be intercepted.
    The router has nothing to do with SSL, and anyone who has developed an efficient method of solving prime factoring would be up for a Nobel Prize in math.

SSL is an end to end secure application layer protocol. The content is encrypted before it leaves the application layer and goes on the network stack inside your computer, and it isn't decrypted until it reaches the server application on the other side.
    10-20-08 09:23 PM
    The router has nothing to do with SSL, and anyone who has developed an efficient method of solving prime factoring would be up for a Nobel Prize in math.

SSL is an end to end secure application layer protocol. The content is encrypted before it leaves the application layer and goes on the network stack inside your computer, and it isn't decrypted until it reaches the server application on the other side.
    Understand you point completely, however, it is still vulnerable if the end-user device is compromised though - which, for a small office/home office is an easier target due to soft or nonexistent security to begin with. Throw a signal over the air, and it's open season.
    10-21-08 07:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD