so i get zero reception/signal on my storm at my house (verizon).
    i am trying to research signal boosters and was wondering if any of you had any experience with this.

any help/suggestions in the thread or via PM would be GREATLY appreciated.
    thanks!
    03-27-09 06:26 AM
    so i get zero reception/signal on my storm at my house (verizon).
    i am trying to research signal boosters and was wondering if any of you had any experience with this.

any help/suggestions in the thread or via PM would be GREATLY appreciated.
    thanks!
    Verizon offers a signal booster for your home. I haven't tried it but it sounds like what you are looking for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 06:40 AM
    Hi,
    I bought one, then realised you had to stick it on the bit by the battery, which, of course would invalidate my warranty if I needed repair, so I havent put mine on (it came off ebay)
    Sam
    03-27-09 06:48 AM
    We have several of the boosters here at work in areas where you could not get a signal.

I can tell you that they do work, but are very pricey. I think the units here at work were between $300 - $500.

FWIW - I have a friend that tried the Storm at his house and the signal quality was very poor or non-existant. He had previously used a Curve and it worked fine. So he went back to the Curve and it works great.

What I am getting at is that the Storm has a lesser antennae than the other BB's. You may want to consider trying a different BB if you desire.
    03-27-09 06:51 AM
    We have several of the boosters here at work in areas where you could not get a signal.

I can tell you that they do work, but are very pricey. I think the units here at work were between $300 - $500.

FWIW - I have a friend that tried the Storm at his house and the signal quality was very poor or non-existant. He had previously used a Curve and it worked fine. So he went back to the Curve and it works great.

What I am getting at is that the Storm has a lesser antennae than the other BB's. You may want to consider trying a different BB if you desire.
    i don't mind spending 300-500 if it will work.
    i don't want to ditch my storm so thats not really an option.

what model are you referring to that worked for you?

thanks!
    03-27-09 06:53 AM
    so i have found two different models

one is a wilson booster Wilson 801165, 841165, 801105, 801108, 801110

not sure which of these i would need

and then there is one on amazon for alot less money

Amazon.com: Wireless Extenders Cell Phone Signal Booster Dual Band YX510 PCS/CEL: Cell Phones & Service

i would rather spend the extra money if it is going to be alot more reliable as i use my phone alot, however i don't really know much about this kind of stuff so i really appreciate any and all input.

ultimately just want something that will be easy to install and work reliably.
    03-27-09 06:57 AM

03-27-09 07:08 AM
    I was in the same boat and I dropped 400$ on a wilson electronics signal boost DT it works if you stay close to the interior antenna.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackbe
    rry.com

03-27-09 07:16 AM
    I can't say i have any experience as i get mediocre coverage inside my house. But before you go dropping 400 dollars on all sorts of antennas and amplifiers that require some installation i think you should give this a look-see.

www . verizonwireless . com / networkextender

(type that in, apparently i cant post links because of my post count, dumb)

Verizon's official femtocell network extender...basically plugs into your highs peed internet (assuming you have one) modem and pumps out a CDMA signal. According to that website its $249.99 and no monthly access fee. Good luck!
    03-27-09 07:23 AM
    The ones we use here at work are Wilson Electronics, and they work great.

We got all the info off of the Wilson site and then searched the net for that model and found it cheaper from another vendor.
    03-27-09 07:27 AM
    I've been using a dual band repeater that I purchased from Radio Shack about three years ago with pretty good success. The receiver antenna has to be about 40 feet above the transmitter (the length of the cable) in order to prevent feedback and you have to have a signal that the antenna can receive.

A wireless receiver would've been nice for those of us that have a poor signal at our residence.
    03-27-09 08:15 AM
    Get a Network Extender directly from VZW. They're like $200 - $250 I think and give you a mini cell phone tower in your house. You can even lock them so that only you can use them and not your neighbors via the website.
    03-27-09 08:18 AM
    We have a pair of wireless extenders at work that repeat the signal from outside to inside the building. But there has to be service outside for it to work. Ideal for metal buildings. Not so much for no service areas.

03-27-09 08:34 AM
    I can't say i have any experience as i get mediocre coverage inside my house. But before you go dropping 400 dollars on all sorts of antennas and amplifiers that require some installation i think you should give this a look-see.

Verizon's official femtocell network extender...basically plugs into your highs peed internet (assuming you have one) modem and pumps out a CDMA signal. According to that website its $249.99 and no monthly access fee. Good luck!
    Yes, go directly to Verizon's website and get the network extender. I got it about a month ago and it works GREAT! Just run an ethernet cable from the router to the extender and make sure the GPS antenna on the extender can get a signal. Once the 4 lights on the front are solid blue...you are in business. I went from 0-1 bars to full signal, best thing Verizon has come out with in a while (please no Storm jokes)
    03-27-09 08:42 AM
    Just keep in mind that the Verizon extender only does 1X. You won't get a 3g/evdo signal boost.

03-27-09 09:16 AM

That link doesn't work, but this one does.

Enter your location
    03-27-09 09:45 AM
    Just keep in mind that the Verizon extender only does 1X. You won't get a 3g/evdo signal boost.

I have to double check that when I get home but I think you're right.
    Regardless, for talking and clarity it is just what I needed!
    03-27-09 09:46 AM
    I was in the same situation as you are I had zero signal at my house. I done some research and I bought a WILSON SOHO AMP. and a WILSON YAGI OUTDOOR ANTENNA. and now I keep a 50% or better signal, I had my landline taken out and I even bought a Novatel Air Card 760 for my home internet and my STORM and NOVATEL air card work great. It is nice having internet that is faster than dial-up. The amp and antenna are pricey but in my case it was worth it to get cell signal at my house.
    03-28-09 03:07 PM
    This may sound funny but tell him to hold the phone upside down. The antennae is on the bottom. Sad buy true. Try this: put the phone in landscape mode. Cover the side with the bb button completely with your hand. Look at the signal. Wait a second or two and take your hand off. Signal should jump up a bar or two. Happens to me lol

03-28-09 07:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD