I need some opinions, based on phones, network, speed of data,
    Which would you take a fully functional Bold on ATT or the Storm on VZW. Assume the storm will have the same problems for at least awhile

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 12:53 PM
    VZW wins hands down in the network category due to superior signal reception. I had my Bold and Storm sitting on the table next to each other at a local pizza joint and the Bold could not get 3G at all but the Storm had 4 bars consistently. And my area (SF east bay area) is completely 3G for miles in all directions according to ATT's own maps so it's not like I was in the middle of no where.

But as it stands today, the Bold is better as the battery lasts days while the Storm is drained by the end of the day under normal use.
    Last edited by MalPraktiz; 11-27-08 at 01:07 PM.
    11-27-08 01:04 PM
    Connection speeds and signal reception varies depending on the area. I am in NY and I ALWAYS have a 3G connection. ATT has a faster 3G network, but it is not as large as Verizons. I have no problems with ATT whatsoever. They have treated me great so far. I can't say the same for Verizon. I hate them and they make you pay out the *** for everything.

The Bold is definitely a more productive phone at this point. I feel the Bold will remain the more productive phone.

11-27-08 01:19 PM
    Storm with a car charger. After a few days with it I'm convinced.
    Also Verizon trounces ATT unless you're the type that won't pay a little more for better reliability, coverage, and speed.

11-27-08 01:28 PM
    I have both as well. Verizon for coverage, bold has les
    s problems for me. Of course the bold is faster as well.

11-27-08 01:35 PM
    Where I live, verizon and at&t work equally well, and since I'm already with at&t I'm not really inclined to switch to verizon because of how they nickel and dime you. But I must say I do like the storm a lot more than the bold or the iphone. So I guess until the 8900 comes out I'll stick with my curve.

11-27-08 01:45 PM
    Thanks for the insight, any more opinions?
    11-27-08 03:06 PM
    I'm a VZW fan myself but AT&T also has excellent coverage in my area.

AT&T's GSM-based 3G service supports simultaneous voice & data. VZW's CDMA-based 3G service does not.

Do you own old-fashioned showdown. Get two 3G phones (similar models if possible). One from AT&T and one from VZW. Reset both to factory conditions if possible.

Go to the places where you use your phone the most (work, home, etc). Run dslreports.com/mspeed and compare. Note the latency as well, as for typical web browsing latency is as important as bandwidth.
    11-27-08 03:29 PM
    Anyone else?

11-27-08 08:04 PM
    AT&T is great in a metro area but the minute you get to traveling (even in the ex-urbs) expect to lose 3 bars. Thier network just doesnt cover my needs as someone who goes into the boonies a few times a month.
    11-27-08 08:10 PM
    i like my beautiful screen on the bold, the trusty qwerty, the wifi. i'd consider a storm if they got wifi and higher res screen maybe, but i live in excellent ATT coverage area so staying with ATT and the bold is a no-brainer for me. storm looks hot but the touch screen thing isn't the be-all-end-all of a phone to me.

ideally i'd get that rumored magnum on ATT if i had an ideal world
    11-27-08 08:12 PM
    Connection speeds and signal reception varies depending on the area. I am in NY and I ALWAYS have a 3G connection. ATT has a faster 3G network, but it is not as large as Verizons. I have no problems with ATT whatsoever. They have treated me great so far. I can't say the same for Verizon. I hate them and they make you pay out the *** for everything.

The Bold is definitely a more productive phone at this point. I feel the Bold will remain the more productive phone.

ATT 3G is not faster.
    11-27-08 08:13 PM
    obviously i'm partial to at&t but to be honest it's really going to depend on the person's personal likes/dislikes. i've had touch screens and at this point i can't stand it. wifi has a huge upside and since the storm doesn't have it would be a check for the bold. also having a physical keyboard for me is important, i will bet anyone that i can type quicker with less mistakes on the bold then anyone else that has a storm.
    11-27-08 08:16 PM
    I had a Bold on T-Mobile and got rid of it to switch to Verizon and get the Storm. I had terrible coverage at home on T-Mobile, and after hearing all the hype with Verizon on how good their network was, I thought it was a good move. Purchased two Storm's; one for me, one for the wife. We had both been using QWERTY BlackBerry's for awhile.

Switching to the Storm was a terrible idea. The keyboard is not as responsive as a regular BlackBerry. If you type fast, the Storm is not for you. The OS on the Storm is still very buggy. It honestly should not have been released yet, but I'm guessing Verizon rushed it out for the holidays.

Needless to say, we took advantage of Verizon's 30-day test drive, and ported our numbers to AT&T and got two Bold's.

We couldn't be happier now. We have good coverage at home, and a great device. We both really could not adjust to the touch screen.

I think if you've never used a BlackBerry before, you could adjust to the Storm just fine, but if you have experience already with BlackBerry.... the Strom will take some time to get used to, and a lot of patience until they get a better OS released.
    11-27-08 08:21 PM
    Yes Claireece
    11-27-08 08:24 PM
    ATT 3G is not faster.
    Do a forum search. Yes it is. We have been over this already. I will try to find the thread. There is a link in it with an article even stating it. Rev a is 3G. HSDPA is 3.5G. Plus the simultaneous voice & data is very nice.
    11-27-08 08:25 PM
    ATT 3G is not faster.
    You're wrong (and it pains me to say that as a VZW customer).

AT&T claims to be the fastest U.S. 3G network provider | Crave - CNET
    3G Networks Reviewed: AT&T Is the Fastest
    Going Cellular � AT&T has fastest 3G network, will speed up more

Of course, the real answer is much more complicated. Availability, latency, congestion, and other issues should be factored in.
    11-27-08 08:26 PM
    You're wrong (and it pains me to say that as a VZW customer).

AT&T claims to be the fastest U.S. 3G network provider | Crave - CNET
    3G Networks Reviewed: AT&T Is the Fastest
    Going Cellular � AT&T has fastest 3G network, will speed up more

Of course, the real answer is much more complicated. Availability, latency, congestion, and other issues should be factored in.
    And here is the thread I was talking about - http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/int...76/#post823293

AT&T is faster. Not that big of a deal, but it is faster.
    11-27-08 08:42 PM
    Now....When you say faster how do you take it?
    When I say faster, I'm talking about average speed. I've had both services, and have tested each in many places. And it's honestly easy for me to say Average speed is somewhat faster on VZW then on ATT. Now I will say when both have full bars, I have seen an Iphone beat my buddies curve up a little bit, but hey thats one spot, which do I care about? Average speed, or full bar areas?
    11-27-08 08:47 PM
    When I say faster, I'm talking about average speed. I've had both services, and have tested each in many places. And it's honestly easy for me to say Average speed is somewhat faster on VZW then on ATT. Now I will say when both have full bars, I have seen an Iphone beat my buddies curve up a little bit, but hey thats one spot, which do I care about? Average speed, or full bar areas?
    Of coarse the iPhone beat the Curve, the Curve isn't rev a. I believe this is talking about full bars. Even if it isn't full bars, if you have 2 bars with rev A and 2 bars with HSDPA, HSDPA should technically be faster since the speed intervals are different for 3.5G. Location is also a factor. Verizon might be faster in some places, but if you take AT&Ts fastest speeds and compare them to Verizons, AT&T should/will come out on top. HSDPA is just faster, there really is nothing more to say.
    11-27-08 09:11 PM
    I call BS. Care to post some numbers up? You do realize that just because one is "faster" for you doesn't hold the same for everyone. I also have no idea what you mean by average speed. You could have average over area (different locations), average over time (sampling during peak/off-peak), or others averages.

The way you use the term "average speed" almost seems like you mean "not full signal." This is almost impossible to measure, and I can promise you anybody who's serious doesn't measure signal by "bars." (Yeah, the AT&T advertisements about 5 bars are really misleading). Are you only measuring "speed" by driving around and finding places where two phones on different services have the same "non full bar" reception?

I have VZW, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile devices (all 3rd gen capable). In most instances, they're about the same to my naked eye. dslreports.com/mtest gives different results depending on which towers I'm on, the time of day, etc, but in general everyone's in the same order-of-magnitude.

This is getting a bit off topic so I'll leave it at this: my personal phone's on VZW, and to me it's close enough that it doesn't matter who's the absolute fastest. If one network is an order-of-magnitude better, then I'll reconsider the pros/cons of switching.
    11-27-08 09:16 PM

I think if you've never used a BlackBerry before, you could adjust to the Storm just fine, but if you have experience already with BlackBerry.... the Strom will take some time to get used to, and a lot of patience until they get a better OS released.

This is not correct. I've been using several different blackberries from different carries for many years now, and adjusting to the Storm is based on patience of using a touch screen, and getting used to the slow, freezing, and lag of the current software. It doesn't have anything to do with being a previous blackberry user. Also, getting used to having to "click". The Storm is perfectly fine in standard operation, except for the terrible freezing and lag.
    11-27-08 10:24 PM
    Price shouldnt be an issue here, lots of Verizon cost so much/charges so much. Plans are the same as AT&Ts. Only difference you can remove bb package from at&t (but why would you even get one lmao).

Coverage depends on where you live etc, so that cant be discussed as a factor in general.

AT&T insures the bold- $125 deductible<-lame; plus initial cost is more by default not including current VZW new every2 discounts most customers going to the Storm will receive making it even cheaper.

Verizon insurance- $50 deductible.

I have a Bold and Storm. I like both will be bummed if i have to claim insurance on either but te bold more so lol.
    11-27-08 10:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD