Hi all,
    I am a newbie and thinking of getting a storm. I've seen a quite number of ppl selling VRZ BB with bad ESN on Ebay. Are these safe to purchase? Would I be able to unlock it and use the phone on ATT or TMobile? Does VRZ BB take a sim card? Please advise.....
    Cheers, Ando
    03-21-09 08:45 PM
    The Storm has a sim card that is only for GSM out of the US. Someone just got a Storm on Craig's List and he was unable to unlock it...it was stolen, he just was out the money. Don't know answer to your question about "bad ESN".
    03-21-09 08:49 PM
    This is purely a guess on my part but if it has a bad ESN i'd guess it has a bad PIN as well. Meaning no data.
    03-21-09 08:50 PM
    It would work on gsm networks but as a phone only, no data. Media features would work fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 09:00 PM
    i would not get it in ebay unless you check the esn first because you might not be able to activate the phone. ASK for ESN take it to any verizon store and they will check if its ok to activate it.
    03-21-09 09:06 PM
    A bad esn usually means someone did not pay their bill and the phone is locked in their system by the esn and cannot be activated. I would never buy a phone whose esn cannot be used. You will end up just losing your money.

03-21-09 09:21 PM
    Aside from the fact that you are getting screwed (why not spend $100 more for one that is clean?), I personally would not knowingly purchase a Storm with a bad ESN. If the ESN is bad then the phone was either found and not returned or stolen. And, well, there's not a whole lot of difference between the two when it comes right down to it. I don't like the idea of supporting thieves.
    03-21-09 09:21 PM
    Thanks all for the tips. I'll look to purchase a phone with clean ESN then. Ando
    03-22-09 10:31 PM
    okay, just so you know...and i don't condone any of this--the Verizon branded 8830, 9530, 9550 and 9630 can all be unlocked and used on any GSM carrier REGARDLESS of the ESN status. a bad esn is simply a phone that can no longer be used on the Verizon network, however if you are planning on using it on a GSM network, go right ahead. All features will still be there, including data and 3G.
    04-04-10 07:15 PM
    okay, just so you know...and i don't condone any of this--the Verizon branded 8830, 9530, 9550 and 9630 can all be unlocked and used on any GSM carrier REGARDLESS of the ESN status. a bad esn is simply a phone that can no longer be used on the Verizon network, however if you are planning on using it on a GSM network, go right ahead. All features will still be there, including data and 3G.
    Usually a bad ESN can mean the PIN is blocked, and that is blocked regardless of carrier. This thread was also a year+ old so I assume the OP found a phone if they ended up getting one.
    04-04-10 07:31 PM
    Correct on the ESN part, but... The 8830 will NOT work on North American GSM networks. Also, the features will be there, voice and data, but you will NOT get 3G on any GSM network in North America using any of the phones listed.
    04-04-10 07:34 PM
    The Thieves part chuck Listed is not always correct, alot of people lately could not afford the wireless plans and either got cancelled by the carrier and never paid the bill. SO there are alot more BAD ESN phones for sale now, and not all of them are thieves just people either out of work or money OR BOTH and need to seel the phone for cash.
    04-05-10 02:21 PM
    I know with a bad esn you can't activate it with vzw I would stay away from it anyway.

04-05-10 02:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD