I'm a college student and need a touchscreen PDA that has word-processing capability, but worried about the $120/monthly fee (for the minutes, texts, GPS and internet access). I would be buying a PDA pretty much in place of buying a laptop. I'd be writing entire papers for my classes with it. It seems like with the iPhone you get more for the same price (for instance instead of the limited amount of minutes with the Blackberry, you get unlimited minutes AND unlimited texts with the iPhone for the same price per month). Can anyone give me opinions and advice? In depth advice would be appreciated because I don't really know THAT much about PDA's.
    Thank you!
    -Also, how does internet access work on the Storm? Can you pretty much connect to the net from anywhere?
    Last edited by ChelseaRave; 01-31-09 at 11:47 AM. Reason: added info
    01-31-09 11:42 AM
    i consider myself very lucky - i am a college student with a storm and a laptop. take it from me, the storm is an incredible device but you do not want to rely on it or any other PDA to replace a laptop at college. The amount of papers you will write and research you need to do can not be done on a PDA. As nice as having one is if you have to choose I would highly recommend going with a normal dumb phone and buying yourself a cheap laptop. Don't replace a laptop with a PDA for college it will make you life much more difficult.

Hope you figure out what you need. And with service contracts, make sure before you look to heavilly on price you check coverage in your area because saving a few dollars is pointless if you will not be able to use the device.

Best of luck.
    01-31-09 11:46 AM
    A PDA will not be an appropriate substitute for writing entire papers. Buy a laptop and save yourself the headaches.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 11:47 AM
    I can't imagine writing papers on a pda in general, but on a touch-screen - yikes.

I can't imagine why a college student would need a bb. Want one, sure, but I would think a decent cell phone+ a cheap laptop would be a far better choice (and cost much less for service).
    01-31-09 11:47 AM
    I agree with the posts above, you should get a regular cell phone and cheap laptop if you are on a budget. You will be much happier in the end.
    01-31-09 11:50 AM
    I'm a college student and need a touchscreen PDA that has word-processing capability, but worried about the $120/monthly fee (for the minutes, texts, GPS and internet access). It seems like with the iPhone you get more for the same price (for instance instead of the limited amount of minutes with the Blackberry, you get unlimited minutes AND unlimited texts with the iPhone for the same price per month). Can anyone give me opinions and advice? In depth advice would be appreciated because I don't really know THAT much about PDA's.
    Thank you!
    -And also, I would be buying a PDA pretty much in place of buying a laptop. I'd be writing entire papers for my classes with it.
    Buy a laptop or a netbook. I hate to be the bad guy for a minute and I do love my blackberry storm. I just think that getting something more suitable for word processing would be a better idea.

01-31-09 11:50 AM
    Entire papers? You're crazy. As a recent college graduate that is insanely impractical. I am horrified at the mere suggestion.

I love my Storm but you'd be insane to write more than a page or two, and even then that's more like "I'm on an airplane and have nothing better to do" than "I need this paper done by tomorrow."

Like I said, crazy.
    01-31-09 11:51 AM
    When you consider that for a $400 or less you can get a pretty powerful laptop these days I can't see where you'd consider the storm or for that matter the Iphone for that purpose.
    01-31-09 11:52 AM
    450 mins - $39.99
    Unl In txt + 500 - $10.00
    Personal Email + web - $29.99

Total - $79.98 before tax

Cheapest way right there....fyi
    01-31-09 11:53 AM
    I agree with everyone. I think a laptop would be more suited for you. I don't think I could have survived my college years without a laptop...not fun to stay at the computer lab til 3am.
    01-31-09 11:54 AM
    Get a netbook:

Samsung NC10
    01-31-09 11:55 AM
    I agree with others. Get a laptop and a dumb phone. Go to T-Mobile and get their cheap unlimited packages. You can get a laptop from walmart for under $400.

01-31-09 11:59 AM
    I'm in law school and even I do not NEED a PDA or a smart phone. As everyone has said, you won't be writing papers on a PDA. That is, if you want to pass and stay sane...get a laptop, you can get one nearly as cheap as a storm.

If you want something cool and new, that can also call people, take pics, send msgs, can edit documents on occasion, etc....get a storm.

Edit: Looks like no one answered your other question, the internet works good(but that also depends on your coverage and area) and yes, with that in mind you can connect pretty much anywhere.
    Last edited by Hanano17; 01-31-09 at 12:04 PM.
    01-31-09 12:02 PM
    Dang ..... I can't even fathom doing that. A 4+ page paper on a pda/storm? Thats just crazy talk. You will regret trying to do that and it will take longer for sure than if you did it on a laptop.
    01-31-09 12:10 PM
    Agree with everyone get a cheap laptop, go on craigslist maybe someone in your area is selling one cheap. Personally I love the storm but as much as it freezes gets pretty frustrating when your getting important calls or taking notes and it randomly freezes so yea. But the good of the storm is that its a touch press screen which takes some getting use to but i like it really fun for me I take the full experience of the suretype press .
    01-31-09 12:14 PM
    Agree with everyone get a cheap laptop, go on craigslist maybe someone in your area is selling one cheap. Personally I love the storm but as much as it freezes gets pretty frustrating when your getting important calls or taking notes and it randomly freezes so yea. But the good of the storm is that its a touch press screen which takes some getting use to but i like it really fun for me I take the full experience of the suretype press .
    Are you on a leaked OS...shouldn't have freezes often on the official OS, at least the majority doesn't seem to.

I agree about the screen too. I was skeptical at first, but now I couldn't imagine the Storm without the surepress. I actually prefer it now.
    01-31-09 12:19 PM
    Dang ..... I can't even fathom doing that. A 4+ page paper on a pda/storm? Thats just crazy talk. You will regret trying to do that and it will take longer for sure than if you did it on a laptop.
    This is college...try 18+ page paper. I haven't done one under 10 pages yet.

Imagining doing that on a touch screen or ANY phone seriously makes my entire body want to jump in a vat of acid...it would be less painful.
    01-31-09 12:20 PM
    A basic laptop should cover your needs. If you are on a tight budget then you should get a regular phone and maybe add an email feature to your plan.
    01-31-09 12:27 PM
    This is college...try 18+ page paper. I haven't done one under 10 pages yet.

Imagining doing that on a touch screen or ANY phone seriously makes my entire body want to jump in a vat of acid...it would be less painful.
    18+? your prof's must be crazy haha, I think the highest I've been is around 10.
    01-31-09 12:30 PM
    Get a cheap laptop for school. You can't get your work done on your pda. You can even go to QVC.com or HSN.com, where you can get the laptop for a cheap price AND pay on installments. Then you can still get your Storm/pda!!
    01-31-09 12:57 PM
    Get a cheap laptop for school. You can't get your work done on your pda. You can even go to QVC.com or HSN.com, where you can get the laptop for a cheap price AND pay on installments. Then you can still get your Storm/pda!!
    Or she can check Circuit City, and get both in one trip :P
    01-31-09 01:05 PM
    I have to agree with the crowd. I would have never attempted to write a paper on my pda when I was in college. Why would you ever put yourself through that pain, when for basically the same price you can get a laptop? Take everyone's advice and Skip the storm and get a laptop.
    01-31-09 01:31 PM
    WOW!!!!!
    You have to be kidding me!!!!!
    01-31-09 01:46 PM
    get an EEEPC they are very cheap, the one I have is like 400 bucks and has a 160gb hard drive. perfect for school and typing papers.
    01-31-09 01:56 PM
    I'd skip the Storm. Definitely no reason why a college kid (struggling too) needs a BB
    01-31-09 01:59 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD