Neither has Wifi That was a misunderstanding and now it look s as though no Storm has wifi.
    10-07-08 07:00 PM
    no wifi, i'm still quite bummed about it

Does anyone know how EVDO compares to ATT 3G... I know EVDO is faster than EDGE, but never heard comparisons to 3G
    10-07-08 07:56 PM
    no wifi, i'm still quite bummed about it

Does anyone know how EVDO compares to ATT 3G... I know EVDO is faster than EDGE, but never heard comparisons to 3G
    EVDO first of all is 3G. As to how EVDO Rev.A compares to HSPA speeds, in real life they are very similar. Obviously depending on where you live and time of day, on either network you can get 400 kbps-1400 kbps download, and 200kbps-800kbps upload. AT&T technically has higher potential speeds, but I never seen speeds go anywhere more than 100kbps than a Verizon phone. And usually Verizon is much faster.
    10-07-08 07:59 PM
    EVDO first of all is 3G. As to how EVDO Rev.A compares to HSPA speeds, in real life they are very similar. Obviously depending on where you live and time of day, on either network you can get 400 kbps-1400 kbps download, and 200kbps-800kbps upload. AT&T technically has higher potential speeds, but I never seen speeds go anywhere more than 100kbps than a Verizon phone. And usually Verizon is much faster.

It also depends if you're in one of the scarce at&t 3g zones. Yellow-ish is VZW EVDO ( 3g ), Orange is AT&T 3G & VZW overlap, and Red is AT&T 3G with no VZW EVDO ( 3g ). Let the carrier wars commence
    10-07-08 08:10 PM
    Yep reuvy that's right, let me add too:

You can get EVDO A LOT more places (and i mean A LOT more) than ATT's 3g. I mean, what's the use of a network that is only sometimes faster (and that's a big sometimes) that you can't even use?
    10-07-08 08:10 PM
    Yes, AT&T has almost no HSPA coverage as of yet. I wonder how they're ever going to get to LTE. They need at least two more years just to finish HSPA.
    10-07-08 08:13 PM
    Yes, AT&T has almost no HSPA coverage as of yet. I wonder how they're ever going to get to LTE. They need at least two more years just to finish HSPA.
    I remember reading somewhere that it'll take at least until 2013 for ATT to start setting up LTE.
    10-07-08 08:22 PM
    I remember reading somewhere that it'll take at least until 2013 for ATT to start setting up LTE.
    Considering Verizon is done with EVDO Rev.A and will probably not be moving onto Rev.B. It is possible for Verizon to begin launching LTE as soon as specs are finalized. We could have LTE up in major cities and areas in 2010. It will probably be almost done before AT&T even starts.
    10-07-08 08:25 PM
    You are correct in that AT&T's coverage isn't as widespread as VZW's EVDO. But AT&T has their 3G network in every major city in the US. Don't make it out like the coverage is "hardly" out anywhere.
    10-07-08 08:30 PM
    You are correct in that AT&T's coverage isn't as widespread as VZW's EVDO. But AT&T has their 3G network in every major city in the US. Don't make it out like the coverage is "hardly" out anywhere.
    I understand it's in every major city. But in the various less populated areas, even upstate NY and parts of CT and Southern Jersey have limited to no 3G service. Rural coverage is incredibly important, even if you don't live in a rural area. Especially when you do not have WiFi, great 3G coverage is one of the most important things. "Isn't as widespread" is also an understatement. I have had the opportunity to switch to AT&T as I would love to go unlocked on all phones, but the service, even in my area (Northern NJ) was not perfect. There is almost nowhere, except deeply underground, where I cannot get EVDO.
    10-07-08 08:36 PM
    Wow, just a little over 2 hours the Storm will be announced in UK. Let's just see if WiFi thing is true.
    10-07-08 08:54 PM
    Wow, just a little over 2 hours the Storm will be announced in UK. Let's just see if WiFi thing is true.
    Wouldn't this be carrier dependent? Vodafone may offer the capability, but vzw may not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-08 09:03 PM
    No mention of Wifi on the voda storm site.

Main site: BlackBerry Storm 9500 - BlackBerry Smartphone - Vodafone

Tech Specs (not much there): http://blackberry.vodafone.co.uk/sto...cification.pdf

Crackberry: http://crackberry.com/vodafone-websi...rry-storm-tour

It does mention support for 16GB MicroSD cards, but no mention of Wifi (yea or nea).
    10-07-08 10:45 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD