Hello, this is my first post to CrackBerry.com

I've been using a BlackBerry Storm for 15 months, since Dec. 2008. For the most part, its been working fine.

About 1.5 weeks ago, I noticed while traveling that my Storm didn't fully charge overnight. I make it a habit of charging it every night. I didn't think anything of it. I thought maybe I switched off the hotel electric outlet accidentally. Since that time, I've woken up and found my Storm less than fully charged numerous times.

I then started noticing that after plugging in to charge, it often stopped charging about 20 seconds later. I mostly use the original AC charger, but often use my car charger too, with the same results.

My first thought is that the USB port, to which the chargers plug-in, has gone bad. But I periodically get a full, good charge.

I've thought that it could be a software problem (false detection/non-detection of incoming current), but am not sure.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, how did you solve it? I'm close to asking Verizon for an early upgrade to a Motorola Droid.

Thanks!
    Haj
    03-14-10 10:36 PM
    Try a battery pull. If not it could just be the charger, get a new one. Go to Verizon and have them test the battery for you.
    03-14-10 11:06 PM
    It's the phone. It will probably get worse, Happened to 2 phones for me already. I had to replace them.
    03-15-10 06:33 AM
    I had a similar problem last night: I was charging when I got a notification, so I unplugged the phone checked it and plugged it back into the charger. Then I got a message saying that the device can't be charged and something about USB ports (I don't remember the whole message). I left it plugged in anyway just in case and the phone's been at a full charge all day.

If it does it again go to Verizon to have them check it and try getting a new charger? That's my plan at the moment.
    03-15-10 01:21 PM
    Try a sync via USB. Should give you a good idea if the problem is misalignment/shift of the contact leads. I'm irked that there are no contact points to charge without wearing out the $#!@ing port.
    03-15-10 07:06 PM
    i just had this problem pop up for the second time tonight. I plugged my Storm in, and got the the USB device cannot charge the battery message. Also, no lightning bolt on the battery icon although the phone did change to the clock display.

I tried two different wall chargers with the same result. Dug out my USB cable to plug in into the computer. That seems to be working for now.

Does the charging port on the phone go bad after time? It seems that way.
    03-15-10 08:25 PM
    My wife's phone has this same problem. It will only charge from the wall adapter or car adapter if you let the battery go completely dead. If you plug it into the computer it charges fine every time. Occasionally (when plugged into the wall adapter) we get the message stating that the USB cable port we are plugged into is not supplying enough power (or something to that effect).

We would really love to know how to fix this. I thought that this happened after installing OS 5.5.5.328 on her phone but that may have just been coincidence. I tried reloading the OS and the issue still exists.
    03-18-10 12:45 PM
    My wife's phone has this same problem. It will only charge from the wall adapter or car adapter if you let the battery go completely dead. If you plug it into the computer it charges fine every time. Occasionally (when plugged into the wall adapter) we get the message stating that the USB cable port we are plugged into is not supplying enough power (or something to that effect).

We would really love to know how to fix this. I thought that this happened after installing OS 5.5.5.328 on her phone but that may have just been coincidence. I tried reloading the OS and the issue still exists.
    The RIM wall wart puts out more juice than the USB standard allows. If you let the battery run down too far, a standard USB power source will not provide enough power to resurrect it and you have to use the RIM charger.

Many cheap chargers with a micro USB port will trickle charge a battery that isn't too far gone, but you need the extra power for a dead battery.
    03-19-10 03:46 AM
    I have had a storm 1 for 15 months. They are pretty poor,

The unit itself was replaced once along the way.
    It has also had a new battery.

Now it wont charge at all. Took it back to the Verizon store and of course its out of warranty. They charged the battery for me offline and its working again. Just sent off for a seperate charger unit from Crackberry which I hope will keep me going by charging the battery out of the unit overnight.

Some posts suggest that wiping the device and re loading the OS will help.
    Anyone done that ?
    03-22-10 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD