Slash Gear reports that Verizon has green-lighted the BlackBerry Storm 2 for September of this year. More importantly, it claims to have Wi-Fi access to complement its 3G connectivity.

How often do you think you would use the Wi-Fi if you have the unlimited data plan?

You can read more about it at : crn.com/mobile/216403151
    04-08-09 08:55 PM
    Probably not much....but the other features that may come along with it will make me think about the upgrade
    04-08-09 08:58 PM
    yeah with programs like prime2go coming out which require wifi this makes sense, i guess.
    04-08-09 09:00 PM
    Exactly what I was thinking why do you need wi fi when you have 3G and unlimited data plan?
    I have run Extreme Labs speed test on my STorm and have hit 550kb/s downlaod adn 300 kb/s upload speeds...
    Last edited by smittyj77; 04-08-09 at 09:07 PM. Reason: More Info
    04-08-09 09:06 PM
    Wi-Fi isn’t available that frequently, and usually it's a public shared connection which our EVDO connection would be quicker than anyway, so either redundant or inferior IMO
    04-08-09 09:23 PM
    But wouldn't it allow you to use voice and data at the same time?... Talk and browse would be nice

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-09 09:29 PM
    But wouldn't it allow you to use voice and data at the same time?... Talk and browse would be nice

I can talk and browse and listen to music at the same time. Why can't you?
    04-08-09 10:19 PM
    It would help with the new applications coming out and when apps require Wi-Fi we are going to be left in the dark while others are watching TV
    04-08-09 10:24 PM
    Wi-Fi isn�t available that frequently, and usually it's a public shared connection which our EVDO connection would be quicker than anyway, so either redundant or inferior IMO
    Wifi is a great option for Corporate users. The largest BES customers have been pleading for a BlackBerry with Wifi for years now. By no means is it a deal breaker, but definitely a nice option to have.
    04-08-09 10:29 PM
    Wifi is a great option for Corporate users. The largest BES customers have been pleading for a BlackBerry with Wifi for years now. By no means is it a deal breaker, but definitely a nice option to have.

Hey CX, correct me if i'm wrong but once a LTE Blackberry is released next year or sooner, WI-FI is essentially dead since LTE will be faster? Unless you're in a dead zone?
    04-08-09 10:37 PM
    Hey CX, correct me if i'm wrong but once a LTE Blackberry is released next year or sooner, WI-FI is essentially dead since LTE will be faster? Unless you're in a dead zone?
    People have different opinions, but I more or less agree with what you posted above.
    04-08-09 10:43 PM
    I can talk and browse and listen to music at the same time. Why can't you?
    Because with CDMA, you can't use the data voice at the same time. With 3G you can. Sucks but that's how it is for us users in the States.
    04-08-09 11:07 PM
    Because with CDMA, you can't use the data voice at the same time. With 3G you can. Sucks but that's how it is for us users in the States.
    Get your facts straight. Verizon has '3G' CDMA but you are correct that you can't do data and voice at the same time like you can with '3G' GSM.
    04-08-09 11:15 PM
    Wifi is convenient sometimes - if it's free. I love sitting in a place (Starbucks) that charges for it or in a place where wifi is slower than cold tar (most airports). I plug in my BB, start up Tetherberry and it's all good.

I don't need wifi on a Storm. It has constant internet access.
    04-08-09 11:17 PM
    It does not matter to me. I had WiFi on my last 2 phones and I didn't use it.

Public WiFi is NOT SAFE. Ask your IT security guy and he can tell you all about it and how vulnerable public WiFi is. As a matter of fact, our company discourages employees to use public WiFi. That's why all of our company laptops have Verizon Wireless aircards as standard issues.

So that leaves only 2 places....home and office. But at both locations, I would rather use my Centrino laptops than a tiny little phone. So it is really a moot point.
    04-08-09 11:20 PM
    Yet RIM seems to think it's ok to release the 9630 without wifi. Hummm

04-08-09 11:22 PM
    I don't need wifi for the speed, I need it for its connectivity. Sometimes I need access to stuff while inside a network, without burrowing back in through the cloud and firewalls.

I'm amazed at how many people miss that key point.

04-08-09 11:26 PM
    I wonder if there would be interest if there is a version that is wifi capable but would not require a data plan?
    04-08-09 11:27 PM
    I wonder if there would be interest if there is a version that is wifi capable but would not require a data plan?
    I seriously doubt it.
    04-08-09 11:33 PM
    That won't happen. BB need a RIM provisioning data plan. It's how the handset works. You're not really buying a data plan from your carrier, you're buying one from RIM resold by your carrier. Think of it like a car and gas. It needs it to work. Other handsets can get away with no data plan and wifi because they don't depend on a 3rd party network infrastructure to work, just a local IP stack. Blackberries don't work without RIM. Their NOC goes down and every Blackberry in the world is dead on the data side of things. This is how RIM makes it's money... The carrier sells you the pipe (BB) and you have to keep paying for the crack that RIM funnels out. The minute you stop the crack supply, your pipe is useless.

04-08-09 11:38 PM
    excellent analogy civic...i tried to explain which services are RIM and which ones are carrier supplied awhile ago, and the person couldn't wrap their head around it no matter how i explained...sorta like the "EVDO isn't 3G" thread...lmfao!
    04-08-09 11:56 PM
    I don't need wifi for the speed, I need it for its connectivity. Sometimes I need access to stuff while inside a network, without burrowing back in through the cloud and firewalls.

My company has WiFi at work, but it is on a DMZ network where you have to use VPN to get into the actual company intranet. So WiFi wouldn't help me at work.

But I could see it at home to access your PC's and printers and such.
    04-09-09 12:38 AM
    Slash Gear reports that Verizon has green-lighted the BlackBerry Storm 2 for September of this year. More importantly, it claims to have Wi-Fi access to complement its 3G connectivity.

How often do you think you would use the Wi-Fi if you have the unlimited data plan?

You can read more about it at : crn.com/mobile/216403151
    i would use it at home all the time that would be great.
    04-09-09 12:38 AM
    EVDO by the acronym it represents: evolution data only
    Some of the later revisions of EVDO are supposed to be able to support both voice and data, but we're on rev. A and they go all the way to N...
    But that is one of the benefits that LTE will offer...simultaneous voice and data...so I can call my gf and MySpace my ******* on the side, lmfao!
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 04-09-09 at 07:12 AM. Reason: language
    04-09-09 01:44 AM

My company has WiFi at work, but it is on a DMZ network where you have to use VPN to get into the actual company intranet. So WiFi wouldn't help me at work.

But I could see it at home to access your PC's and printers and such.
    This whole WiFi at work thing really depends on what kind of job you do. I am in BI/Data Warehousing. There is no way anyone can run a SQL query against the Data Warehouse using a mobile phone. And there is no mobile version of TOAD (a database management software).

Also, when we go to a project meeting in our company, people will bring their laptops that have all the necessary productivity software installed, and your laptops can easily hook up to the overhead projector. You won't look very good to the executives in the project meeting if you are trying to use your mobile phone for work except emails.
    04-09-09 06:47 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD