Hi all,

I'm having problems connecting my Storm to media sync.

When connected Desktop Manager can see my Storm fine, however media sync says 'No Device' in the top left.

Media sync also displays no playlists from my iTunes library.

I have tried uninstalling DM, Media Sync & iTunes and re-installing them all again. This does nothing. I get the exact same problem.

I also tried installing DM & Media Sync on another machine. This time Media Sync can see the phone. It allows me to name the phone and select internal memory or sd card. it also sees the iTunes playlists, but you cannot select any playlists - they are all greyed out.

I have mass storage turned on on the Storm.

Both machines machines are running Vista Home Premium.

I don't understand why I am getting different results on both machines?!? Nether of which work!

Seems to me that it is a super flakey bit of software from RIM
    12-03-08 08:12 AM
    Turn on mass storage mode on the phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-08 08:40 AM
    Turn on mass storage mode on the phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Have done - as it says in my first post
    12-03-08 08:43 AM
    Go here on your pc

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Media Sync – Tuned Up

Download this to your desktop and it works great. All of your playlists and songs should be there. For al ot of people using media sync through the DM wasnt working. Mine wasn't so I did this and it worked great! Now if only we could figure out how to get it to transfer the artwork of all the songs and not just a few...
    12-03-08 08:48 AM
    The first time I installed it I did it through DM. It automatically downloaded and installed it for me.

I then uninstalled everything - DM, Media Sync & iTunes - and re-installed it all fresh (Media sync from the same link posted above).

Still had the same problem.
    12-03-08 08:56 AM
    OK,

My music is stored on an external drive connected to a computer which I pretty much use as a server (running XP Home SP3).

If I clear my iTunes library and import just one album (to test with) from the server (networked drive) all the playlists are greyed out.

If I then copy that music to the local machine and import it again, Media Sync works fine.

This however is useless to me. I have about 45gb of music which needs to be on a networked drive as it is distributed throughout my house. The server is headless, so connecting the Storm to it is impracticle.

I think that Media Sync needs this bug fixing ASAP
    12-03-08 09:53 AM
    Has anyone tried either:

1. Using BB and WMP - I used it for LG Voyager and Venus and Sansa View and it worked seamlessly. OR

2. Put the sd card in another device and loaded music/pics/vids using WMP.
    12-03-08 10:19 AM
    Has anyone tried either:

1. Using BB and WMP - I used it for LG Voyager and Venus and Sansa View and it worked seamlessly. OR

2. Put the sd card in another device and loaded music/pics/vids using WMP.
    Thanks for the 'thinking outside the box' ideas! The point is though that I want to get Media Sync working with iTunes as this is my primary music library.
    12-03-08 10:29 AM
    Thanks for the 'thinking outside the box' ideas! The point is though that I want to get Media Sync working with iTunes as this is my primary music library.
    I dont know much about the system you are working with in your house, but could you drag and drop the music into a folder or onto the device manually?
    12-03-08 10:47 AM
    Yes I can drag'n'drop fine - This isn't what I want to do though.

I want to be able to create playlists in iTunes and select which ones I want to syc over with Media Sync.
    12-03-08 10:56 AM
    When you reinstalled the Media Sync from the link that I posted, did you try to transfer through that exact program and not the DM? Because I have download the sync program seperately and used that, even though it still doesnt work through my desktop manager.
    12-03-08 12:05 PM
    When you reinstalled the Media Sync from the link that I posted, did you try to transfer through that exact program and not the DM? Because I have download the sync program seperately and used that, even though it still doesnt work through my desktop manager.
    As mentioned in an earlier thread, The problem seems to be with files that are stored on network drives. Can anyone else test / confirm this?

If I wipe the iTunes library and just import files that are stored locally, it all works fine.
    12-03-08 12:30 PM
    ok sorry...
    12-03-08 01:38 PM
    Bump!

Can someone else confirm that Media Sync does not work with iTunes if the music is stored on a network drive?
    12-04-08 02:38 AM
    Yep, I can confirm that iTunes media stored on a Network attach device does not appear syncable using Media Sync. Greyed out.

However, this is a lesser problem (although off topic) - My Pearl simply will not connect to Media Sync at all. It will connect and sync with Desktop Manager and I can see the BB as a local drive in My Computer... but Media Sync completely refuses to recognise my handset. Any thoughts anyone?
    12-04-08 10:37 AM
    Man, that software is crap... I had to install/unistall DM several times before it would recognize my BB. The media Sync has worked from the start, however - and each successive re-install. I have yet to get Roxio to not crash on me. Sorry I'm not more help. I'm really unimpressed with the software suite that came with this phone.
    12-04-08 02:35 PM
    I just installed Roxio and while the DM recognized I am connected and I can use DM, MM will not recognize I am connected. Also, It took me a while to realize it only sees regular itunes playlists, not smartlists. Whatever. I can drag and drop my music, but I too, would like to use my itunes playlists. WHat a PIA. ANyone else have suggestions? Unlike the original poster, my system is windows 2000 ("gasp!").
    12-14-08 09:56 PM
    Never mind. I went back to "Modify installation" from the Tools cd. Connected the strom, didn't turn it on, reinstalled everything, and now MM recognizes the storm. Still no cover art, though. Sighhh...
    12-15-08 05:58 AM
    Can someone else confirm that Media Sync does not work with iTunes if the music is stored on a network drive?
    Having a similar issue with Media Sync. I have my iTunes library on my OSX partition and I have iTunes in XP (on my Boot Camp partition) via VMWare fusion. VMWare treats the music on the OSX partition as a networked drive so the playlists are greyed out. If I make a playlist of any music stored locally on the XP partition it shows up and syncs. Seems you cannot sync music stored on a network drive using Media Sync.
    12-15-08 02:50 PM
    i keep getting a error message saying that MS failed to connect to my blackberry device? how do i fix this problem. i've tried downloading MS seperatly but keep getting the same message.
    04-04-09 04:46 PM
    I know this is old, but you would think the version 6 would fix it. It seems to still be a problem. The weird thing is I can get about 300 songs on the BB before I get an error stating "cannot sync network files". Has anyone found a work around. I am not going to move the music over to a local drive.
    11-02-10 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD