Please sticky.

Verizon Blackberry plan information is not that straightforward. As a prime example, you can add talking plans and data plans "a la carte" and end up paying more per month than you would if you use their pre-bundled packages. For example, if you get the $39.99 talking plan and the $44.99 "unlimited data" (aka BES) plan as "a la carte," you will pay $84.98 per month. You can get the exact same plan for $79.99 through their "voice and data combo plan." That's a $5 savings over 24-months for a savings of $120.

Also, Verizon oddly identifies their BIS service as "web & e-mail," whereas, they identify BES as "unlimited data." These are misnomers, since you get unlimited data on BIS as well.

Anyway, the info below was nicely consolidated and stickied at hofo. (Thanks LordObento). Hopefully we can sticky this to help the users here.

Edit: people seem a bit confused. "Unlimited data" = BES (which includes BIS). See the first block of information below (it is priced at $44.99). "Unlimited data" does not refer to text and picture messaging NOR does it refer to unlimited BIS.

So, in the combo-plans, whereever it says "unlimtied data," you can just replace that with BES. Many people will not require BES, so the combo plans do not help you.

All Blackberries require a data plan. Please choose one of the plans below.

Feature data plans are added on to current available voice plans.
    $29.99 Web & E-mail (BIS only) (NO bundling/combo discounts)
    $44.99 Unlimited Data (BIS and BES)

or

Data only plans (no voice)
    Unlimited Data $49.99

or

Voice & Data Combo plans* (All combo plans include BES)
    450 mins Unlimited Data $79.99
    900 mins Unlimited Data $99.99
    1350 mins Unlimited Data 109.99
    Unlimited mins Unlimited Data $129.99

or

Voice, Data, Messaging Combo plans* (All combo plans include BES)
    450 mins Unlimited Data Unlimited PIX/TXT msg $99.99
    900 mins Unlimited Data Unlimited PIX/TXT $119.99
    1350 mins Unlimited Data Unlimited PIX/TXT 129.99
    Unlimited mins Unlimited Data Unlimited PIX/TXT $149.99

Add-on feature:
    Tethering so you can use your phone as a modem with VZAccess Manager for your PC/Laptop.
    $15.00 with all plans except the $29.99 Web & E-mail feature and $24.99 10 MB plan. The $29.99 Web & E-mail would use a $30.00 tethering add-on feature.

*All voice/data combo plans have Unlimited Nights (9pm-6am), Weekends, and In-network calling to any other Verizon Wireless number.

BIS = Blackberry Internet Service or BlackBerry Internet Service. POP3/IMAP/OWA e-mail syncing site.

BES = Blackberry Enterprise Server. Company owned server that syncs your e-mail, contacts, calendar, task, memos, company security protocols and infomation to your device.
    Last edited by liquidsense; 11-19-08 at 12:37 PM.
    11-19-08 09:51 AM
    Can one assume that the Voice, Data, Messaging plan include BES?
    11-19-08 10:03 AM
    Nice breakdown!

I love VZW service but their plans are the epitome of 'nickel and dime'.

Anyone have any imput on which of their insurance plans is best? On a device that has so much to break I definately want insurance.

Also... has anyone confirmed that visual voicemail will be $2.99?
    11-19-08 10:15 AM
    Can one assume that the Voice, Data, Messaging plan include BES?
    Yes. If you look at the description, it says "unlimited data," which is defined by Verizon as BES and BIS. Anywhere you see "unlimited data," you can just replace it with BES (which includes BIS).

So, basically, all the "combo" plans include BES.

Yes, I can confirm that it is $2.99 / month. I just added it to my future plan with my telesales rep.
    11-19-08 10:19 AM
    Do any of these include VZ Navigator?

Or do most people use Google Maps instead?
    11-19-08 10:21 AM
    What exactly is the difference between these two?

$29.99 Web & E-mail (BIS only)

Does the 30$ plan have unlimited internet usage just no tethering?
    11-19-08 10:21 AM
    Nice breakdown!

I love VZW service but their plans are the epitome of 'nickel and dime'.

Anyone have any imput on which of their insurance plans is best? On a device that has so much to break I definately want insurance.

I would say the I believe it is still $5.00 insurance that is the best. It is the one through Asurion. This one will cover your phone for whatever happens to it. You still have to pay the $50 deductible unless it is in the first year and is covered by the manufacturer
    11-19-08 10:23 AM
    I am also curious with the navigation. Let me know what everyone is doing to navigation.. is it ezier to just google map your locations rather than paying for turn by turn.
    11-19-08 10:25 AM
    I'm pretty sure that as of 11/14, the 10 mb/month is no longer an option.
    11-19-08 10:26 AM
    What exactly is the difference between these two?

$29.99 Web & E-mail (BIS only)

Does the 30$ plan have unlimited internet usage just no tethering?
    BIS= unlimited data with the ability to recieve emails from personal accounts

BES= Unlimited data with personal and work email accounts. This option is more for people who have the phone through work.

Neither comes with tethering. It is an additional $12.00 a month.
    11-19-08 10:26 AM
    first off, I need explanations. what is BIS and BES?

I will tell you my situation and you will tell me what plan will be best once I get the STORM:

Right now I have a special, 59.99. It includes the 39.99 450 minutes plan and the 19.99 unlimited txt/pix/flix.

Now, I upgrade (contract has been over since the 16th) to the STORM...Do I go for that 99.99 plan? That is the one that sounds more alike my plan now, just adding the BB stuff onto it.

I need unl. txt/pix/flix and 450, and BB(obviously), so is that 99$ plan the one I need?

thanks..
    11-19-08 10:28 AM
    I would say the I believe it is still $5.00 insurance that is the best. It is the one through Asurion. This one will cover your phone for whatever happens to it. You still have to pay the $50 deductible unless it is in the first year and is covered by the manufacturer
    Josh - Are you refering to the 5.99 plan (top-o-the-line) or the one right under it that is also Asurion (i believe?) for 4.99
    11-19-08 10:29 AM
    Neither comes with tethering. It is an additional $12.00 a month.[/QUOTE]

Not true.

If you want to tether the total cost to you will be $60 a month.
    If you have the $44.99 they bang you $15
    If you have the $29.99 plan its a $30 hit.

It all equals $60 in the end.
    now I am confused. what is tethering? all I want is a blackberry storm with 450 minutes, unlimited everything, and the bb package. I would also like to push my aol.com email to my phone, or I can create a gmail or something. but I want emailed pushed. someone please help!!!!
    im here hitting F5, so continue!
    11-19-08 10:30 AM
    I am also curious with the navigation. Let me know what everyone is doing to navigation.. is it ezier to just google map your locations rather than paying for turn by turn.
    I've used VZ navigator on my little LG phone before and to be honest, the screen was just too small for me to be happy with it. I'm going to do a couple days with the $1.99 single day charge of vz navigator with the storm and see how I like it. As of right now I'm not sure it's worth the $10/mo just for turn by turn. Google maps will be nice as you can get directions from your current location. So should work for most of my needs.
    11-19-08 10:30 AM
    I've used VZ navigator on my little LG phone before and to be honest, the screen was just too small for me to be happy with it. I'm going to do a couple days with the $1.99 single day charge of vz navigator with the storm and see how I like it. As of right now I'm not sure it's worth the $10/mo just for turn by turn. Google maps will be nice as you can get directions from your current location. So should work for most of my needs.
    truth. ditto. gas is too expensive to be spending 10 a month on turn by turn! then you have to think of car charger! and wasting your battery! ahhhh my brain! haha, kidding. some1 help me out!
    11-19-08 10:32 AM
    kaznaaa

Yes you want the 99.99 plan

BES is used if you are connecting to a business server = using your phone primarily for work

BIS is for everything else.
    11-19-08 10:32 AM
    Tethering is when you use your BB as a data modem for your laptop. I travel on Amtrak in the Northeast and it works like a charm. It also makes sense to use in hotels when they charge you $12 a day for internet.
    11-19-08 10:33 AM
    truth. thanks everyone. I figured 100 a month after adding everything...its the same either way, bundle or a la carte haha. i hate sushi. I shall call when I get out of class and order. and call friday morning before class to make sure my order has been processed.
    11-19-08 10:35 AM
    So I can expect to pay the $79.99 for the phone and another $29.99 for the BIS access. That will cover me right?

Or will just $79.99 cover me like my rep on the phone told me?
    11-19-08 10:37 AM
    Thanks for info. Very helpful for first time BB converts!!
    now I am confused. what is tethering? all I want is a blackberry storm with 450 minutes, unlimited everything, and the bb package. I would also like to push my aol.com email to my phone, or I can create a gmail or something. but I want emailed pushed. someone please help!!!!
    Verizon pushes your email, so yes you get PUSH!
    Do you know if the bundled package is BES as well?
    11-19-08 10:42 AM
    Would it not be cheaper to get the 450 minutes and unlimited text/pix for 59.99 and the BIS for 29.99 than to get the 99.99 450 min plan? What is included in that plan? Am I missing something?
    11-19-08 10:42 AM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD