So my Blackberry key stopped working last night.

What are my options? Its been over 30 days, will Verizon take it back for an exchange?

Can I hurry and get the insurance, wait a day, then make a claim?

Help!! Larry
    01-03-09 07:52 AM
    You only have 15 days after purchase to get the insurance. Your unit s still under a 1 year warranty so Verizon will replace it for you BUT you will not get a new one but rather a refurb (if they are available yet) or a customer returned one since you are over the 30 day grace period.

Does the BB key move at all? Does it feel like it clicks at least? Do you keep the phone in your pocket where somethign like lint could have wedged itself under the button (that is if it is not moving).

If you feel adventurous you can replace the entire key pad yourself by buying a new one here: Replacement Buttons for Storm
    Last edited by dmcman73; 01-03-09 at 08:15 AM.
    01-03-09 08:12 AM
    Only 15 days? What kind of a deal is that?

Yes, the button does move, and I do have a compressed air handy, I'll give it a puff...

...thanks, Larry
    01-03-09 08:22 AM
    Only 15 days? What kind of a deal is that?

Yes, the button does move, and I do have a compressed air handy, I'll give it a puff...

...thanks, Larry
    Yes the insurance company gives you a grace period of 15 days to purchase the insurance for the phone, that's their policy. If it weren't, do you know how many people would buy the insurance the same day after accidentally dropping their phones in a toilet for a replacement? The whole point of insurance is so the company can generate profit and have cash to purchase replacements. They would be out of business in no time if people just waited to purchase a $5.00 a month plan only when the device needs replacement.

Also, if the button does move then it might just be a faulty button and your only options are to either fix it yourself with the link I sent you or send it back for a replacement. Go into a Verizon store and maybe the tech can actually repair it for you.
    01-03-09 08:26 AM
    did you try taking the battery out and resetting it?

My end button wasn't working when i had .85 and once i took the batt out and reset the phone, it worked again
    01-03-09 08:26 AM
    Ya, I let it get all charged up over night, then did a battery pull just for grins... didn't help.

The Verizon stores have techs in them? I mean, wouldn't fixing button require soldering and such?
    01-03-09 08:33 AM
    Can't seem to edit my posts...

Just watched the video at the replacement keyboard site... Okay no soldering, but still not something I'd expect a guy at the store to be able to do. ...and yes, I'd feel pretty nervous doing it myself...
    01-03-09 08:40 AM

Just watched the video at the replacement keyboard site... Okay no soldering, but still not something I'd expect a guy at the store to be able to do. ...and yes, I'd feel pretty nervous doing it myself...

Take off the back cover, hold the phone facing you straight up so the BlackBerry logo at the top looks normal. Slightly twist the bottom of the handset toward you on whichever side the buttons stopped responding. Twist it hard enough to feel resistance but not enough to crack or damage the circuitry. I had the same thing happen to my escape and power buttons and that is how I got them to reconnect to the contacts.
    01-03-09 08:52 AM

Yes they do have techs on site to repair most problems. I am not sure if they go as far as replacing parts but they do repair some items. If anything, they will just give you a replacement phone right on the spot if they are in stock so you've got nothing to lose.
    01-03-09 03:45 PM
    Went to the store last night - the manager still remembers me! (I was the first in line). He seemed receptive to doing a swap... except that the button worked every time for him. It had worked on and off since I had the original problem, so perhaps there just was something in the switch.

The interesting part of the conversation while he played with the button was that he recommended downloading the newest OS from here on CrackBerrry (!!!) Said it was getting excellent reviews. I was more than a little surprised that a Verizon store manager would even acknowledge that CrackBerry existed, never mind recommending downloading the OS. Way to go CrackBerry!
    01-06-09 08:45 AM
    Had the same problem myself. Bought it on Dec 24th and on the 26th it
    stopped working. Took it in that day to a Telus rep and they replaced the phone
    01-06-09 10:54 AM
    The interesting part of the conversation while he played with the button was that he recommended downloading the newest OS from here on CrackBerrry (!!!) Said it was getting excellent reviews. I was more than a little surprised that a Verizon store manager would even acknowledge that CrackBerry existed, never mind recommending downloading the OS. Way to go CrackBerry!
    Yeppers. From time to time, a sales rep or store manager will give props to CB. I always find that very refreshing. I am happy your Storm is working once again. Keep your eye on it however.
    01-06-09 11:03 AM
    Ya, I remain more than a little nervous about the button, but now at least I've visited the store and said something.

VERY interesting that the manager still remembers me -by name- as the 1st guy in line that morning.
    01-06-09 03:42 PM
    Do you know how I know that that manager has never actually BEEN to crackberry before?
    01-06-09 03:45 PM
    i had the same problem and got my BB button to work again. the battery totally drained last night and this morning it wasn't working.

i tried the compression advice to make sure contacts were good then i pulled the battery and pulled my micro sd chip. then with SD chip out i put battery back in and let it boot up. Then i pulled battery again, put SD back in put in battery and all is well now. Maybe this will help someone else that ends up googling and finding this thread.

cheers
    04-25-09 09:28 AM
    Okay, so weird... woke up this morning and my blackberry key and end key had no functionality whatsoever(they pressed fine, but no phone response, and reboot didn't help). looked here and saw something about taking off the back plate and twisting... What I did the pinch the metal edges underneath the back plate and behind the buttons and shift it side to side...

they started working again instantly... such a slight movement. Not sure what causes this problem.

weird...
    10-10-09 06:11 PM
    the button giving out is a warranty issue...and within 30 days you have what's called DOA....where they exchange it for any reason...as long as it's not moisture damage or physical damage...if it's mfgr defect, they'll replace it no questions...

and it will be a new phone...if it isn't then ask for a manager or something...

you can try calling VZW and try to save yourself a trip to the store, they might ask you to go to confirm no damage, etc...but you should be fine. i wouldn't think it's an insurance issue either...so don't pursue that route just yet
    10-10-09 07:42 PM
    Picked this up on another site, and it worked for me:

The site recommended rebooting the software. Desktop mgr. wouldn't let me, as I had the newest OS, but I just deselected the Korean Characters set (which came loaded on the phone), and it went into the same 30 min. OS reset operation it does when you update the OS. I picked up the phone not a minute later and it was working just fine.

Could have been the battery, too--it showed almost a full bar, but I had let it almost run out the night before, and hadn't been plugging it in this week, so maybe the "almost full" indicator was inaccurate.

Good luck!
    02-14-10 10:21 PM
    Take off the back cover, hold the phone facing you straight up so the BlackBerry logo at the top looks normal. Slightly twist the bottom of the handset toward you on whichever side the buttons stopped responding. Twist it hard enough to feel resistance but not enough to crack or damage the circuitry. I had the same thing happen to my escape and power buttons and that is how I got them to reconnect to the contacts.
    I had to do this this morning.

Good tip.

Thanx!
    02-28-11 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD