My wife and I both gave up our Storms this weekend for a pair of shiney new Droids. I liked having the Storm. I thought it was a good phone for me, even though the web experience was subpar (as with any Blackberry for now, unfortunatley). My wife, not being much of a dedicated tech junky, never really took to the Blackberry way of things.

At any rate, my Storm was good to me, as was the 8830 I had before it and the folks on this website who have been a big help.

I'm just ready for something new and the Droid does everything I liked on my Storm, but does it better and then some.

I'll still be checking in here from time to time to see what RIM is up to.

-SR-

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-10 10:52 PM
    Enjoy the Droid!

I'm waiting for the iPhone 4G so I know how you feel. At this point RIM would have to do something more than a new browser to get me to stay.
    02-22-10 10:47 AM
    I can tell you that I have had my hands on multiple new phones in the past three weeks (Driod, Samsung Impression, and iPhone... list goes on).

I think that the 9530 is a good phone. That is about all I can say - good. I have been administrating the phones for a company (25+ phones) and have had all but two Storms returned for refurbs. I think that the OS and software can only fix so much of so-so thing. I have not been given an option to even look at a Storm II from the local reps - What is up with that?

Contract comes up in April - Current front runner - Driod.
    02-22-10 11:21 AM
    By April there will be at least 3 new android phones on VZW. Better hardware and some have 2.1 with sense from HTC. Hold onto your shorts, kids

02-22-10 12:39 PM
    I think you'll be happy with that phone. My son loves his Droid. It's extremely cool that Google Maps works gives guidance by voice on the Droid.
    02-22-10 01:37 PM
    I bought my wife a Droid HTC as a gift. She says it's her favorite phone ever and loved her last phone. I tried to get her to lik the BB but they just aren't 'cute' enough for her.

Funny thing is I was telling her that while Verizon is looking hard to find a phone that competes with the iphone, the droid really seemed to cannibalize the Blackbery sales.

Personally I still love my Blackbery more the surepress keyboard is awesome and so is the email. As for surfing with opera 5 thr BB is just as good as the droid.

02-22-10 02:30 PM
    If your not on the tech side, then moto is for you, that's why they made it so people would stop crying how horrible the storm is,

Its all about preference people.

02-22-10 04:25 PM
    I am generally happy with my BB Storm but am interested in looking for a different VZW smartphone. The BB is superb at emailing and calendering and this is critical for my business needs. Does anybody have experience syncing the Droid with, and receiving email from, MS Outlook (I don't use exchange)?
    02-22-10 05:51 PM
    First of all hands down the Storm 2 is a much better device than the Storm 9530 on all points. Only reason I still have my very first and original Storm from Dec.'08 is because it has done decent by me and hasn't bugged out on me. But definitely come this December when my 2 yr. contract is up, I will be checking out to see what's good for a nice upgrade.

Anyway, if people recognize me around the crackberry forums they will tell you I have had my fair share of posts analyzing this rut that RIM seems to be in for a good year/maybe 2 years. Hardware, OS, the whole Blackberry experience is becoming stale and frustrating (if your hardware is falling apart on you, etc.) for many in recent times. A far cry from what I like to call the golden age of Blackberry (8700, 8800, Pearl, Curve 83XX). iPhone, and Android OS phones are great devices. Their web browsing, multimedia, apps, are second to none and surely Blackberry devices are not in that league on those points. And yes people will say Blackberry is king of messaging and all that but quite honestly try to prove to me that iPhone and Android devices don't do email and messaging quite well themselves.

On a lighter note I think RIM is starting to wake up and make some moves because the Storm 2 (even though it is clearly a device that can only be labeled as "what the Storm 1 should of been") and the Bold 9700 are a good step in the right direction hardware wise. And from what I have seen of the Blackberry web kit browser that's in development we should be experiencing a revolution (in the Blackberry sense) once that is loaded onto devices. Personally I think that what's really starting to wear away on RIM is the damn ancient OS they have.

With all that said, enjoy your Droid, people I know have it and only say good things about it. I'm just hoping RIM gets everything into tip-top shape ASAP. And I sure hope RIM is listening because I'm a fan of Blackberries but that Verizon flavored iPhone sounds mighty tempting.........
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 02-23-10 at 02:27 AM.
    02-23-10 02:24 AM
    i still think, and i think i'm gonna stick with this viewpoint for awhile, that RIM needs to go back to the drawing board and put the consumer OS features on the back burner for awhile and focus on re-enforcing their email server and support, especially for BIS users. and then get those outages under control.

i have the same email support for my gmail and yahoo on my eris, i have all of the chat apps (including myspace/facebook, but i don't use 'em. they suck), i have fast browser, i have calendar, contacts and notes integrated and sync OTA automatically, with no hiccups. and this phone has been out for over a year now (on sprint, called the hero. they're more or less the same phone). no waiting, no software updates needed for stuff to work.

if the blackberries "just worked" out of the box, then this wouldn't even be an issue. i'd rather have the 4.5 OS on the storm and had them build it specifically for touch screen phones than have the 5.0 and all of the crap they threw on top of the pile.

with that said, RIM still holds a place in the mobile market. BES has a huge market share of corporate use, and since it's such an expensive system, lots of companies are stuck with it. i think if they can "lighten the load" for BES admins, then active sync won't be able to compete. active sync is making a run for the market of business use, and the phones that have it, it works. there are benefits of active sync vs. BES on each end, but each also has their drawbacks.

also, i find that the "techie" people have more fun with android. the rooting, the customization, adding different roms and other phone's widgets, apks, etc....i've barely scratched the surface of the droid customization, waiting for the eris 2.1 update to come out so i can help try to root that too.
    02-23-10 12:06 PM
    Have fun with it, it's nice to move up to a "next gen" mobile OS, that's part of why I left the blackberry, it just started to feel stale, worked pretty good, but just stale.
    02-23-10 12:54 PM
    I too just changed from the 9530 to the Moto Droid. Mine is rooted and overclocked now running the DroidMod 1.0. I was trying my hardest to wait for the VZW Nexus One to come out but couldn't get any additional information on an approximate release date other than Spring of 10.

The Blackberry was indeed a good phone but the web experience was not even sub-par. It was horrid.

The Droid is great in every single aspect. I have had no bugs thus far and will remain with a device that has an Android OS until RIM comes out with something better and not as dated.

I am a Blackberry Admin where I work so I still deal with BB daily. I won't have my hands totally out of it.

You won't regret your choice to go with the Droid EVER! GL buddy!
    02-24-10 09:29 AM
    Do we all agree that the arrival of Flash 10 will be something major though? If I'm able to run Flash 10 on my Storm then I don't think I'll upgrade until the Storm 3, maybe even 4. I was thinking about the Storm 2 but then downloaded Opera 5 and couldn't be happier.

02-24-10 09:56 AM
    Flash at this point wouldn't save me. It's the damn OS. The browser is bad but the OS is ancient.
    02-24-10 11:49 AM
    Flash at this point wouldn't save me. It's the damn OS. The browser is bad but the OS is ancient.
    True, the bb os is ancient haha.
    02-24-10 11:57 AM
    Yer that's true but sinse I downloaded Opera Mini 5 beta 2 it's like a whole new experience. Just think, Flash 10 will be quite amazing.

02-24-10 03:31 PM
    i still think, and i think i'm gonna stick with this viewpoint for awhile, that RIM needs to go back to the drawing board and put the consumer OS features on the back burner for awhile and focus on re-enforcing their email server and support, especially for BIS users. and then get those outages under control.
    Hey patches - I agree this makes sense from a product point of view, and as a "playing to your strengths" strategy. But it has issues from a growth perspective, a market re-entry perspective, and a market defense perspective.

From what I can see the bulk of their new subscribers are from the consumer space, so retreating there means making their growth curve shallower. Stock analysts and the stock market hate that, especially in a tech company. RIM's stock price would dive.

And the success they've had marketing to the consumer means a retreat from that space would be very visible. Re-entry would be very difficult (once burnt, twice shy), and even more expensive than the initial effort has been. Not to mention the costs of maintaining some level of customer satisfaction for those consumers who have already made their purchases.

Unless of course you're suggesting RIM should just walk away from the consumer space. In that case ...

We've all seen how wooing the consumer can be an effective way to gain entry into a business market. Retreating from the consumer space would mean tons of business people buying "non-Berry" phones for personal use, or sitting in a corner saying "See - I got my email 3 minutes faster than you!" while their friends and families actually had fun with their "non-Berry" devices. That would create a huge groundswell of support for non-Berry devices in the business marketplace. Very tough to hold a position against that even if RIM does add more and more messaging capabilities and stability. That smacks to me of Palm owning a niche but never being able to get beyond it - and eventually becoming irrelevant.

I see your logic, but don't see how to turn it into real business success. I think their only chance, given where they've put themselves, is to actually make a success of their consumer products. To live up to the hype, or at least their reputation for quality and stability - but in the consumer space. Whether that's realistic or not given the competition seems to be so far ahead now and isn't exactly standing still, I don't know.

- R.
    02-24-10 06:52 PM
    Not necessarily a retreat, just don't add anything new until the whole consumer platform is stable.

02-24-10 07:33 PM
    Not necessarily a retreat, just don't add anything new until the whole consumer platform is stable.

I think this makes sense, but has to be balanced by the concept of "table stakes".

When I was at Oracle, our COO Ray Lane said business was like poker - you had to have enough chips on the table to stay in the game. There is a minimum amount required to be effective and have a chance at winning.

Given the competition is so far ahead, consumer expectations have been set by them, and RIM has to play catch up. Flick scrolling, a fast/smooth browser, strong integration to social media, non-truncated emails and greater-than-140-character SMS messages, etc. - all are table stakes. And that includes trouble free operation, something the Berry doesn't have even where the features are nominally in place (think flick scrolling - still not trouble free).

Getting "table stakes" features in place, combined with stability - that's what RIM needs to do. Then enter the "features war".

Someone said it well in another thread - Apple kicks **** because they don't focus on delivering every single feature - and more - that others do. They focus on delivering the core capabilities (plus enough to make it fun) in a package that just ... plain ... works. Smoothly and easily. When it's easy people can have fun. And when they have fun, they buy and remain loyal.

- R.
    02-24-10 07:49 PM
    I'm considering the same transition. I just warrantied out my original Storm for a replacement that is. Gazillion times better than my old phone. So, I'm a bit less anxious to run. I'm praying for an early upgrade in a few days just in case this one starts to fizzle out.

02-24-10 08:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD