EDIT: Alright so if you have this issue and you are NOT under warranty, you can purchase a replacement LCD screen online (I purchased mine from Cellular Accessories - Accessories Store, Mobiado, NEC, Tools, Microsoft, SonyEricsson, Apple, BlackBer) and either have it installed for you or install it yourself. They also have a disassemble video on CNN as well. This fixed my problem where my display suddenly stopped working, but a little bit of light was still visible in the cracks of the phone.

Alright so, there are a bunch of threads here from a few people who have had the issue where their phone still functions, yet the screen will not display anything but lit up blackness. Using JL, you can obtain screenshots and clearly see that the phone is still functioning as well.

Anyway, this randomly started happening yesterday. I was at the mall, talking to my girlfriend on BBM and the screen started screwing up and sometimes not displaying. I thought it might be the sleeve and the phone not coming out of standby but then I realized the screen only came on when it decided it wanted to.

NOT being under warranty, I opened my storm to see if maybe it was just a bad connection with the ribbon cable. I unplugged it, plugged it in, pushed on it a bit and no luck.

Then, since having a phone would actually not suck, I ordered BlackBerry Storm 9500/9530 LCD/digitizer unit - Type 1- Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, SonyEricsson, Nokia, Tools, Mobiado, Dopod/O2, BenQ-Si this part and paid for the 2-day shipping. I will post in this thread if this resolves the issue just in case any other unlucky bastards can't just take their phone in and get a replacement.
    Last edited by joski; 06-02-09 at 02:21 PM. Reason: RESOLVED
    06-01-09 06:41 AM
    I'm really hoping this new LCD screen fixes this issue and I will note in this thread if it does. Apparently everyone is under warranty so there's nothing mentioned online about fixing this problem and it will be nice to know if a screen will do the trick. The time will come where people can't rely on warranties to fix this issue. The replacement LCD screen should be here tomorrow so we'll see!
    06-01-09 09:01 AM
    With verizon being out of warranty I can still take my phone to them dish out $50 and they will do an out of warranty replacement on the phone.
    06-01-09 10:14 AM
    This is resolved. I've seen more and more posts popping up regarding this issue and I'd like to make sure people are aware they aren't screwed if they're not under warranty!
    06-02-09 02:22 PM
    You do realize the warranty is 1yr right? Not 90 days like most "dumb phones"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 04:19 PM
    I bought this off Kijiji, so I don't have a receipt or anything. Plus, I like having control over what I do to be honest. I like opening stuff I buy!
    06-02-09 04:29 PM
    I bought this off Kijiji, so I don't have a receipt or anything. Plus, I like having control over what I do to be honest. I like opening stuff I buy!
    I believe the warrant is by RIM. The carriers do exchanges as a service. If you get ahold of RIM directly you should be able to exchange it. The phone hasn't even been out a year yet so receipt shouldn't be an issue. They should be able tell when it was 1st activated also.

06-02-09 04:36 PM
    Well it's too late for that. My girlfriend actually lives in Kitchener/Waterloo so I could put it at the RIM doorstep if I wanted to. My cousin also works there. I don't know, buying the replacement screen fixed the problem in a couple days. I made this thread because it's going to be an issue sometime where people won't have a warranty to rely on I guess. Although now I wish I saved the $150... Thanks. hahhaa
    06-02-09 04:56 PM
    $150 ouch! Glad I have insurance on mine!

06-02-09 05:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD