I cannot use my blackberry maps... I thought there was supose to be an Icon to access but cannot find one. I try to use it through Poynt but it begins to load then errors with "your current Default Services do not provide access to this feature." I've tried reloading it through desktop manager with no results. Any ideas??? I've been through the forums without any success, so I would appreciate any ideas...........
    07-12-09 06:23 PM
    Do you have an actual BlackBerry data plan? If so, try re-sending your service books.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 06:33 PM
    I do and I just tried that...still nothing.... Should there be an icon in applications to access the maps? This is my second storm and the first one had an icon titled "maps" that opened what I thought was BB maps.
    07-12-09 07:59 PM
    It does have an icon that looks like a compass. have you tried going into each of your folders an clicking menu>show all, to see if it's hidden?
    07-12-09 08:05 PM
    That's what I thought. I did search through all the folders and found nothing. Poynt opens the maps partially ( map never actually shows) but gives me that error. I tried finding my position and message appeared saying that maps was disabled. I went to options> Adv> Maps and it shows default services: none. Is there somewhere else to go to enable maps, or am I missing something?
    07-12-09 08:28 PM
    Sounds like you don't have the BB Maps service book. Go to Options> Advanced Options> Service Book> look for BlackBerry Maps [LbsConfig]

07-12-09 09:22 PM
    You are correct. Service book is not there. I've resent them and still not there. Any suggestions on how to get them
    07-12-09 11:10 PM
    has anyone be able to use BB maps? i tried to download it from the blackberry site and it says "my device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support bb maps" my Storm is running the latest official update .148
    07-13-09 10:28 AM
    You are correct. Service book is not there. I've resent them and still not there. Any suggestions on how to get them
    You will have to copy the service books from a BB on your carrier that has it to your BB.

07-13-09 10:45 AM
    has anyone be able to use BB maps? i tried to download it from the blackberry site and it says "my device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support bb maps" my Storm is running the latest official update .148
    You have to install BB maps from the app loader. The OTA link is only for OS 4.1 and 4.2.x.

07-13-09 10:53 AM
    oh ok thank you, i was trying to avoid doing it that way because it earses some of my third party aps....but i guess if i reallt want bb maps that bad...i have to go thru the DM...thanks again.
    07-13-09 11:00 AM
    You will have to copy the service books from a BB on your carrier that has it to your BB.
    So I understand...you are saying I should switch "my phone" and keep resending service books for different Tmobile blackberry devices until I find one that sends the map books? Do I have to reboot the phone everytime or do anything else when they send?
    07-13-09 12:19 PM
    So I understand...you are saying I should switch "my phone" and keep resending service books for different Tmobile blackberry devices until I find one that sends the map books? Do I have to reboot the phone everytime or do anything else when they send?
    You don't have to go through that much trouble. You said that your previous storm had the service book. If you have a backup from that device you could transfer the service books over using the advanced section of Backup and Restore. If you don't but know somebody else that has a BB, maybe they have the service book on their device.

07-13-09 12:46 PM
    I'm having the same difficulties on trying to even find blackberry maps.

I got an unlocked Bell Storm with official Verizon .148 OS on Fido. BB Maps can be found in Advanced>Applications, but no service books for it. I requested registration for all the Host Routing Tables and still nothing on service books for BB Maps.

No service books means no icon right? Cause using "show all" can't find it in any of the folders.

Advanced>Maps says Default Service = None

When I use QuickLaunch, I can find the option to put in BB Maps, I do so and try activating it through that method. Says "Maps has been disabled"

When I get a friend to "Send [their] location" over blackberry messenger, I think BB Maps started up but I get a notice that "Current Default Services do not provide access to map data." However if I leave it on, Maps does show up on the Application Switcher, so it MUST be in phone somewhere right?

Using the AppLoader or Desktop Manager, it says I got BB Map (ver. 4.7.0) installed and have the option to uninstall BB Maps. I uninstall it and then reinstall it but doesn't fix anything.

Anyone know how I can get the default service to actually work? Or get service books for the maps specifically? I would want to receive the "send my location" feature over BB Messenger as it seems like a much more accurate way to get friends' location rather than them using using Google Maps (w/ Latitude) on Telus/Bell (which has displayed to be rather crappy cell-tower approximation compared to Rogers/Fido ability to use actual GPS)
    Last edited by Superboy13; 07-13-09 at 11:45 PM.
    07-13-09 11:37 PM
    does anyone out there have any other suggestions... still have no BB maps
    08-15-09 05:28 PM
    I got rid of BB Maps a long time ago..

GOOGLE MAPS FOR LIFE!
    08-15-09 05:40 PM
    I have google maps also, and like it, but some apps, like weatherbug, use BB maps...
    08-16-09 07:59 AM
    I have an unlocked 9550 that originally came from Verizon. Now setup to work on T-mobile. It does not get any service book entries.
    I upgraded the OS from 5.0.x.x.320 (verizon) to un-official BB version 5.0.x.x.421 but these BB maps still don't open up. The gps works fine as i use "trek buddy" but is crappy because it still does not show navigation from point A to point B.
    Would the BB maps work even if i did not have a data plan? Should it not work just using the GPS with maps preloaded ?
    03-17-10 03:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD