I just noticed that when I do a battery pull, recent calendar appointments disappear, and are gone after the reboot. Ive done many battery pulls since I got my Storm, and am now concerned about lost appoinments.

Anybody else notice this, or have a solution to force the calendar data to be saved BEFORE a battery pull?

Does using an app like quick-pull have this same negative effect of losing data?

Is there a way to reboot the phone (Im on version .419) without going as far as pulling the battery? (if so, it may be a safer way to reboot)

Thanks.
    12-26-09 10:05 AM
    How much memory do you have.

Every BlackBerry is designed to, when it runs low on memory, clear certain things. Items such as:

1. Call logs
    2. Text messages
    3. Calendar entries
    4. Etc.

You might want to delete some applications you aren't using as much. This should help your situation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-09 03:26 PM
    i have never know low memory and battery to play together, what i did come across and regretted doing was pulling my battery when my battery was low. i was told once do not do it unless you have at least half of battery full. i didnt believe it untell i had to pull my battery when my phone was almost dead and lost my calender and contacts and trust me i had more than enough memory. i like to manage my phone nicely. i than found a kb article in regards to your phone being prone to losing data when a battery pull is performed on low battery becuase the device doesnt have the battery power to ensure a safe back up when the battery pull is performed. im sorry that happened. its a crappy situation. i would like to know though if you battery was less than half thanks
    12-26-09 03:34 PM
    This appears to be a different issue than running very low on app memory and losing old calendar appts.

This happens when I do a battery pull, even if the battery is over 1/2 full, and even when I have plenty of app memory. It happened again a few days ago with about 19mb of memory still free.

I can reproduce this on my phone. (The calendar entries that I lose are all recently entered appointments.) I just did a battery pull and an appt that I entered a couple of hours ago, scheduled for Monday, is now gone. My battery is 85% full, and I had about 24mb of memory before the pull.

There must be a safer way to do this. What Im looking for is a way to force all data to be saved before I do a battery pull. It seems that the phone 'saves' calendar data periodically, and if a battery pull is done before, then recent enteries are not saved. Who knows how many calendar appointments Ive lost over the past year.

Has anybody else noticed this problem while doing a battery pull?

Thanks.
    12-26-09 06:31 PM
    I may have figured out a solution so that recently entered PIM data is not lost when I do a battery pull. Im testing now, & Ill post if the solution works.

Until this is confirmed I will always sync BEFORE doing a battery pull.
    12-28-09 02:26 PM
    I may have figured out a solution so that recently entered PIM data is not lost when I do a battery pull. Im testing now, & Ill post if the solution works.

Until this is confirmed I will always sync BEFORE doing a battery pull.
    By any chance have you figured out a solution?
    01-05-10 10:38 AM
    Not really. It appears to be a timing thing. Ive basically stopped doing battery pulls unless it is an emergency, but not just to gain a little app memory.

If I do a battery pull, I will sometimes lose calendar entries from about the past hour or so.

So my workaround is to:

1) close the calendar app
    2) wait at least an hour before rebooting
    3) sync to outlook
    4) battery pull/reboot
    5) compare my outlook calendar to the Storm calendar and manually correct any lost Storm data

I cant wait for my new Android phone!
    01-05-10 11:28 AM
    I am having the same problem. EXACTLY.

Pain in the ****.

Any solutions?

Anyone?

Bueller?
    02-22-10 08:08 PM
    My Storm. Can't wait for my upgrade. I had this same issue. I lost two months of history and appointments. Now I use Google Calendar and only Sync it with my phone. You set the Sync to manual so when the phone eats itself ( calendar items) it won't loose them of the website(calendar). The web is your constant cause you can't trust the phone. Haven't lost any since.
    02-22-10 08:16 PM
    I am having the same problem. EXACTLY.

Pain in the ****.

Any solutions?

Anyone?

Bueller?
    Ya, I was able to show a friend of mine this on his Storm, he was shocked, he didnt believe me before I showed him. I havent really found a solution for this, I can only imagine how many appts Ive lost with this ****** phone!

You are the first person that Ive heard of that even realizes this problem, most others I chatted with on this forum think that this is the same problem that some see when memory runs out. (thats not it). Others dont seem to care much, probably because they enter appts on the pc, then sync to the Storm daily, or they just dont know this is happening. Plus its kind of random, it doesnt happen on every reboot, but it happens often enough.

Let me know if you find any solutions, or calendar settings, that help prevent these lost calendar appointments.

I agree ..... it does suck, I dont really trust the calendar on this phone any longer.
    02-22-10 08:18 PM
    No solutions except that I don't do a battery pull until after I have synced. I update appointments on my handheld 30 or 40 times a day. I sync 2-3 times a day. I did a search and found a suggested solution which didn't work. They said to sync, clear all calendar items, reload the calendar. That didn't solve the problem. T-mobile suggested that I reload the OS. I did. That did not solve the problem. I am resigned to wait until RIM pushes out an OS update and see if that solves the problem.

I have tried google sync and many other OTA "cloud" sync "solutions" in an effort to resolve this through auto-syncing but not a single service can get it right for me. I have tried and tested every one I can and none sync correctly. I add an item on my handheld, sync to the cloud, and it does or doesn't show up on-line. Same if I add an item on-line and sync; sometimes it shows up on my blackberry, sometimes it doesn't. Frustrating. I even tried an Android phone and had the exact same syncing issues, sometimes it syncs the item, sometimes it doesn't.

I have about 600 or so calendar items. 2-3 each day of which are repeating items. Could that have something to do with it?

I usually keep a phone for two years. I am thinking that I might just have to tough it out for the two years.
    02-26-10 09:51 AM
    I'd thought a phone that deleted my Calendar entries to free up memory without asking was the height of ridiculousness, now this! From "The" phone for business users, no less!

Anyway, this really concerns me. Can I ask what OS versions you folks are using? jaykacik, you mention waiting for an OS update - what version are you on?

Also, has anyone hear anything about whether this issue continues with the Storm2?

- R.
    02-26-10 11:04 AM
    I am running 5.0 419, but have seen this in previous versions. The reason that I updated to 419 was to try to resolve this issue.

1) enter a few calendar appointments
    2) do a battery pull / reboot
    3) check your calendar and 1 or more recent calendar entries may be missing.

This doesnt happen every time, but I can easily reproduce this, and its not just my phone, Ive tested this on another Storm. I dont know if the Storm 2 has this problem, but I wouldnt be surprised. Most people arent even aware of this problem on the Storm 1, over a year after it was released.

I can only assume that many users dont rely heavily on the calendar like I do. This is a big deal for me.

I am very carefull about rebooting my phone, but it does occasionally reboot itself without my knowledge, and Im sure I am missing calendar appointments because of this.
    02-26-10 11:24 AM
    I am running v5.0.0.330. This is the latest available from T-mobile. I like to only update to approved OS versions from them (my carrier).

I had a curve before. Never had this problem.

My bold 9700 would reboot on its own occasionally. I found that when I was on 3G and in google maps and the phone was switching from 3G to 2G sometimes the phone would reboot (and/or drop calls). I turned off 3G (and UMA) and now that part of the phone works perfectly. No reboots on it's own, no dropped calls (but no 3G either).
    02-26-10 04:01 PM
    I am running v5.0.0.330. This is the latest available from T-mobile. I like to only update to approved OS versions from them (my carrier).

I had a curve before. Never had this problem.
    Jay,
    Are you saying that you do not have this problem on your STORM? You are sure that you don't lose calendar appointments entered just before doing a battery pull?
    02-27-10 10:07 AM
    wmscottmc,

My device is a bold 9700.

I didn't realize that you and I were talking about different devices.

I had a curve before. Never had this problem. Now I have a bold 9700 from T-mobile not a storm but it's the exact same calendar item that we have been talking about.

Considering that you and I are using different devices and different OS builds but having the same problem I'm wondering if it's something deep in the OS. I doubt that it is a manufacturing problem but it could be (physical memory issue).

I'm going to go to the t-mobile store soon and see if I can test this on some of their display units.

I am using BIS, sync to Outlook via usb not OTA. I think if I could auto sync OTA it would alleviate the problem.
    02-28-10 07:57 AM
    wmscottmc,

My device is a bold 9700.

I didn't realize that you and I were talking about different devices.

I had a curve before. Never had this problem. Now I have a bold 9700 from T-mobile not a storm but it's the exact same calendar item that we have been talking about.

Considering that you and I are using different devices and different OS builds but having the same problem I'm wondering if it's something deep in the OS. I doubt that it is a manufacturing problem but it could be (physical memory issue).

I'm going to go to the t-mobile store soon and see if I can test this on some of their display units.

I am using BIS, sync to Outlook via usb not OTA. I think if I could auto sync OTA it would alleviate the problem.
    I also use BIS, and sync to Outlook via usb. Let me know what you find out at the store, itll be interesting to find out if this is isolated to just a few phones like ours, or if this is common to many BB phones, and that users just dont realize the problem.
    02-28-10 09:35 AM
    wmscottmc,

I went to the T-mobile store today. No luck. All of their units have the battery door superglued shut so that no one can steal their batteries and/or SIM cards.

I'm not in the habit of asking strangers if I can test something on their blackberry so I am going to wait this one out. I could send it back to T-mo under warranty but I'm not confident that I won't have the same problem with the replacement and I don't want to have to deal with the switchout. As I know when the problem appears, I am going to wait for an OS update and see if that helps. If not, maybe I'll think about switching it out. You?
    03-01-10 05:36 PM
    wmscottmc,

I went to the T-mobile store today. No luck. All of their units have the battery door superglued shut so that no one can steal their batteries and/or SIM cards.

I'm not in the habit of asking strangers if I can test something on their blackberry so I am going to wait this one out. I could send it back to T-mo under warranty but I'm not confident that I won't have the same problem with the replacement and I don't want to have to deal with the switchout. As I know when the problem appears, I am going to wait for an OS update and see if that helps. If not, maybe I'll think about switching it out. You?
    ok thanks for the update. maybe somebody on this forum will test this for us by adding a few calendar appointments, then doing a battery pull to see if they lose any entries.

Ive had this same problem with multiple OS builds so Im not real confident that this will be solved, or if BB/rim is even aware of it.

I will be purchasing an Android phone in about 2 months! And I cant wait to move on from this BB. But I will test the Android phone carefully before I make a purchase. Ive had other issues with this phone, and even though I like many of the features, it has been a high maintenance phone, with many more problems than I ever expected from a BlackBerry, considering so many business users use one.

Good Luck, and please share any new info that you may discover........
    03-01-10 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD