I've done a search, and while I found a lot of information on pulling out the battery, I didn't find what I was looking for, so here goes.

How often do I really need to yank the battery out of this thing? Once a day? Leave it alone as long as things seem to be running right.

Are battery pulls something common for all BlackBerrys or is this just a Storm thing?

Is it something we're going to be doing as long as we own a Storm or are they hoping to fix the issue with OS updates?

Just noticed I spelled Pulls wrong in the title.
    Last edited by Chuft; 01-21-09 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Need more coffee.
    01-21-09 08:12 AM
    Think of your phone as a computer. The longer you leave it on the more memory you use, it starts to get slower, etc... Some people pull their batter 3 times a day, some once a day, most leave it until it starts to lag. Every computer needs to be rebooted now and then for maximum performance. I would tell you to check your application memory BEFORE you pull the battery and then check if again AFTER you pull it to see where it's at. Ultimately - pull the battery whenever you think you need to reset the device.
    01-21-09 08:18 AM
    You could also download the soft reset app to reboot the device w/o pulling the battery. It's a little more convenient.
    01-21-09 08:18 AM
    sounds dangerous to swallow... all that alkaline
    01-21-09 08:22 AM
    If you would like to reset it daily, I would suggest Quickpull. You can schedule it to run at a specific time everyday (like when you are sleeping). However, some have suggested turning your radio off before "pulling the battery".
    01-21-09 08:23 AM
    I find my storm likes quickpull better than a battery pull for whatever reason. Now that I have an Innocase I never pull the battery if I can help it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

01-21-09 08:29 AM
    Think of your phone as a computer. The longer you leave it on the more memory you use, it starts to get slower, etc... Some people pull their batter 3 times a day, some once a day, most leave it until it starts to lag. Every computer needs to be rebooted now and then for maximum performance. I would tell you to check your application memory BEFORE you pull the battery and then check if again AFTER you pull it to see where it's at. Ultimately - pull the battery whenever you think you need to reset the device.
    Everyone keeps using this "think of the Storm as a computer" analogy, and while there is some truth to it, it's a weak rationale at best. I find myself rebooting the Storm much more than any computer I've ever owned (I tend to reboot my home PC about once per 3 weeks and I reboot the Storm perhaps twice daily).

The software on the Storm is just buggy and also people try to run a lot of incompatible programs on it. Plain and simple. That's why it requires so much rebooting and that is why it crashes so often. I don't know why people are trying to "stick up" for the Storm. I like the phone, except I'm having a hard time dealing with a plethora of issues that should have been resolved before the phone was released.
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-21-09 at 08:37 AM.
    01-21-09 08:34 AM
    sounds dangerous to swallow... all that alkaline
    beat me to it
    01-21-09 08:36 AM
    I'm not into the whole battery pulling idea. I always make sure apps are closed when I'm done and very rarely do I need to even shut off the device and restart it. As far as rebooting a PC several times a day, that's pure nonsense.
    01-21-09 08:45 AM
    Thanks for the advice. I'll give Quick Pull a try.

01-21-09 08:59 AM
    Everyone keeps using this "think of the Storm as a computer" analogy, and while there is some truth to it, it's a weak rationale at best. I find myself rebooting the Storm much more than any computer I've ever owned (I tend to reboot my home PC about once per 3 weeks and I reboot the Storm perhaps twice daily).

The software on the Storm is just buggy and also people try to run a lot of incompatible programs on it. Plain and simple. That's why it requires so much rebooting and that is why it crashes so often. I don't know why people are trying to "stick up" for the Storm. I like the phone, except I'm having a hard time dealing with a plethora of issues that should have been resolved before the phone was released.
    Feel better dude?

The analogy is fine. It is a computer. The bugs in the OS are more prominenet in some devices and not so much in others. Like I said in my first post - some reboot more often than others.
    01-21-09 09:36 AM
    Feel better dude?

The analogy is fine. It is a computer. The bugs in the OS are more prominenet in some devices and not so much in others. Like I said in my first post - some reboot more often than others.
    No, I don't feel better. I actually feel a little bit stressed since now my phone is not charging on account of a "battery issue" and now I must have Verizon send me a new battery on a phone that has been used for not for greater than 1.5 months. And I actually consider myself one of the few people who does not have as many bugs as others... except that now, I'm starting to have quite a few. The phone was released prematurely, that's all. It happens all the time. I'm an early adopter, like the rest of you, but it doesn't mean I should give up the right to be frustrated with the phone, and nobody else should have to either.

To be fair, for the first 3 weeks I had the phone, I didn't have to do very many battery pulls. I maybe did one battery pull every 3 or 4 days. But that's because I didn't know how to use the phone and I was limiting my use to making phone calls and messages. But now that I know the ins and outs of the software, I'm using the phone much more often and with a greater expectation of success in daily tasks, and it's my opinion that the phone should be able to be used to its full capability without crashing every day.
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-21-09 at 10:17 AM.
    01-21-09 10:12 AM
    Ya its really up to you how often you want to pull. If things are working fine then no need. Its just a reset so its not like you need to be on a schedule or anything. But the battery pull is the universal reset for blackberrys, so i doubt itll ever completely go away
    01-21-09 10:45 AM
    Works grea. Just make sure you disable comp mode or you'll think it's a pos app.

As 'bp22 ca' stated above, the phone likes it better too because it let's the phone activate the "reboot now" feature rather than just killing power.
    01-21-09 11:00 AM
    Other than Quick Pull - is there any shortcut (like "/"/ for bringing up the logs) or way to reset the Storm w/o a battery pull?
    01-21-09 11:06 AM
    I pull mine once every week. That's enough for me.

01-21-09 11:13 AM
    Other than Quick Pull - is there any shortcut (like "/"/ for bringing up the logs) or way to reset the Storm w/o a battery pull?
    There is another app called Soft Reset -- but there is no native feature for performing a soft reset without physically pulling the battery. I was hoping perhaps that concurrently holding the send and end buttons might perform such a basic function, but alas it does not.

I actually like Soft Reset - it has not disappointed me thus far.
    01-21-09 11:19 AM
    Thanks. I just don't like putting 3rd party aps on this device. The OS is not stable enough yet. In fact, I've removed most of them that came with the Storm. I only have Docs to Go and AIM. Phone still has same bugs as everyone else and the few broken items as well, but generally more stable than others in my firm who use the Storm.
    01-21-09 11:25 AM
    Since I loaded the leaked .86 OS, I haven't had to pull my battery once. I think the leak has been out for 2 weeks or so and no BP's. I do understand everybody's phone has had different reactions to updates then others, but an update from the "official" .75 may help. I believe there are 4 leaked OS ahead of .75. I may be wrong, but I think they are .76, .83, .85 & .86. It may be worth a shot upgrading one leak at a time until you notice a difference. It's made a HUGE difference in my phone. I just wish the results were the same for everybody's phone, but it works for me so I'm happy. Good luck!!
    01-21-09 12:32 PM
    For those in doubt of the battery pull, it's not just baloney. I've owned almost every brand of smart phone on the market, and they all required occasional battery pulls to various degrees. The more you use all the neat functions, the more often you will need to do a soft reset. The Pearl was the worst I have ever seen for this. My WinMo 6900 comes in a close second. Sadly, Palm OS devices seem to be the best for lesser need of battery pulls. They just manage memory better.
    01-21-09 12:37 PM
    Why not just turn it off and restart it in a few seconds? There is nothing to be gained by physically removing the battery.
    01-21-09 12:37 PM
    Once again I know everybody's phone is different, but I have a good amount of apps on my phone and it works fine.

The Hockey News, AP Mobile, Viigo, CrackBerry AppStore, Facebook, YouTube, BlackberryCool, Weather Bug, Opera Mini, Bolt, Slacker Mobile, Quickpull & StormLock.

Am I just super lucky with my phone? I also have no dust as well and I have a "launch" phone.

Anybody else having this kind of luck?
    01-21-09 12:38 PM
    don't curse yourself..
    01-21-09 12:42 PM
    Why not just turn it off and restart it in a few seconds? There is nothing to be gained by physically removing the battery.
    I don't doubt this may be true and you do know what you are talking about, but who actually has concrete proof of this theory? There have been so many forums about this and everybody "knows for a fact" it does nothing or it does something.

I do the BP as it does seem to work and most people swear by it, but how do we actually know what works? Are there any "experts" on this theory?
    01-21-09 12:45 PM
    Because that's a kind of "soft off" it doesn't actually fully power off the device. Almost no smartphone actually has a full off that I can recall, short of pulling the battery.
    01-21-09 12:45 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD