Anyone with a Storm care to comment on how the battery life is now that it has been available for a few days? I know RIM usually has good battery life but I was wondering if the touch screen aspect might decrease it some. Also this was one of the MAJOR iPhone gripes... so I just thought I would ask
    11-16-08 07:19 PM
    yes that would nice info
    11-16-08 07:57 PM
    excellent question! i would like to hear this answer, too.
    11-16-08 09:03 PM
    you vodaphone/british guys are pretty quiet about the phone, theres such little activity about this phone from across the pond, im honestly surprised
    11-16-08 09:04 PM
    well.... seeing as the device specs state less a battery life then the iphone I doubt its better? However the storm is listed as a higher battery life then alot of other bb's so its a give take. Also the iPhone battery life isn't really that terrible for a high media smartphone. If the storm gets about the same time I would be more then happy and besides you can get bigger batterys for the storm you cant for the iphone =)
    11-16-08 09:21 PM
    well.... seeing as the device specs state less a battery life then the iphone I doubt its better? However the storm is listed as a higher battery life then alot of other bb's so its a give take. Also the iPhone battery life isn't really that terrible for a high media smartphone. If the storm gets about the same time I would be more then happy and besides you can get bigger batterys for the storm you cant for the iphone =)

Wrong. The Storm has more standby battery life, while the iPhone beats the storm in Talktime.
    11-16-08 09:23 PM
    Wrong. The Storm has more standby battery life, while the iPhone beats the storm in Talktime.
    are you saying that from experience or rim/apple specs? those specs are usually off
    11-16-08 09:39 PM
    my friends with the iphone say the battery sucks donkey balls

i hope to god we are way better than that
    11-16-08 09:42 PM
    Battery life - excellent question. This was the iPhone killer for me. Please post any experience thus far!
    11-16-08 11:26 PM
    please reply to this.
    11-16-08 11:32 PM
    +1.

Waiting for you guys
    11-16-08 11:54 PM
    you vodaphone/british guys are pretty quiet about the phone, theres such little activity about this phone from across the pond, im honestly surprised
    They're all watching pr0n on there new BB's, (with charging docks)...
    11-16-08 11:57 PM
    Earth to posters... UK is five hours ahead of US EST!
    11-17-08 12:28 AM
    Well... I got my Storm Saturday morning and I was using it all day Saturday before giving it a charge before I went out that evening.

It lasted all Saturday night, right through until Sunday afternoon with A LOT of heavy usage of the camera, touchscreen apps, browser, bb messenger, phone calls etc etc.

It still had some life in it as I was bluetoothing pictures and .mp3's late sunday.

Considering the heavy usage i was impressed it was still alive and kicking. My N95 was already starting to run outta steam!

I gave it a full charge last night (Sunday) and left it charging whilst using the Bedside Timer.

I'll see how it behaves with abit more "normal usage" over the next few days.
    11-17-08 01:22 AM
    my friends with the iphone say the battery sucks donkey balls

i hope to god we are way better than that

it depends what phones you compare it to I am telling you the truth. Take 90 percent of smart phones and try to run the same things at the same time as a iPhone this is one thing that apple really really did well was figure out how to manage battery life.

If you compare the iPhone to a lg env or something of course the nv is going to destroy it.

There is a ton of things I can sit and tell you about that are bad with the iPhone but the battery honestly wasn't one of them.

I hate to say this as well with the number of blackberry's and complaints that come in at my jobs these devices can typically be known for pretty poor battery life they have improved quite a bit recently.

WINMO isn't good either for the most part.

Battery was one of the hardest things to figure out with smartphones in general.

Just my 2 cents
    11-17-08 01:41 AM
    This kinda depends on how intensively you use the device of course

First couple charges didnt last too long, however the 3rd had half battery at the end of the day... so it should easily last to the end of a day for most people. obviously if you live on the device you are going to drain it quickly..

currently im spending a couple hours browsing here, about 50sms messages(sent, so recieved about 50 too), 20or so e-mails (send and recieve)
    11-17-08 04:40 AM
    This kinda depends on how intensively you use the device of course

First couple charges didnt last too long, however the 3rd had half battery at the end of the day...
    This brings up a good point for anyone who's never paid attention to info on Li-Po and other lithium-based batteries before. The first few charges will not last all that long compared to the normal staying power of the battery for most of it's usable lifetime. Lithium-based batteries go through a sort-of "break in" period during the first few charging cycles. Also, for those first few cycles, it is best to use the battery until it is nearly empty before recharging to get the fastest break in results. It doesn't hurt anything if you don't do that at first, but it will take longer to break in the battery. Once it's broken in, a noticeable charge life improvement will occur. Then the battery will slowly begin its death, at a rate of about 10% charge capacity loss per year.

For those folks who just got their Vodafone Storms last Friday, they probably aren't experiencing optimum battery life just yet. After another week of use, they'll probably be doing pretty well.

-SR-
    11-17-08 06:31 AM
    This brings up a good point for anyone who's never paid attention to info on Li-Po and other lithium-based batteries before. The first few charges will not last all that long compared to the normal staying power of the battery for most of it's usable lifetime. Lithium-based batteries go through a sort-of "break in" period during the first few charging cycles. Also, for those first few cycles, it is best to use the battery until it is nearly empty before recharging to get the fastest break in results. It doesn't hurt anything if you don't do that at first, but it will take longer to break in the battery. Once it's broken in, a noticeable charge life improvement will occur. Then the battery will slowly begin its death, at a rate of about 10% charge capacity loss per year.

For those folks who just got their Vodafone Storms last Friday, they probably aren't experiencing optimum battery life just yet. After another week of use, they'll probably be doing pretty well.

-SR-
    I believe that is true with Nickle batteries, but is not the case with Li Ions. See the referenced article for more information.

11-17-08 06:34 AM
    All I know is, many lithium-based battery powered devices make reference to the fact that the battery life improves after the first few charges. Technically speaking, a regimented "break-in" period is not required. The battery will reach its peak charge-holding performace regardless, but it just might take a few more cycles. It is also true that it is not necessary to fully discharge a li-po battery before recharging it to avoid creating a "memory" in the battery. This, along with current density, is the main advantage of lithium-based battery tech over previous Ni-based tech (NMH and Ni-Cad). Still, a li-po battery will lose charge capacity slowly over time (not to be confused with a charge memory, mind you, which is a different phenomenon).

-SR-

PS: I pretty much agree with what the article you posted is saying. I'm just recalling what I've read in the literature of devices I've purchase with lithium based batteries. It may very well be the case that the manufacturers themselves are adhering to best practices from bygone days of when they use to produce products that made use of Ni-based batteries.
    Last edited by WarER4X; 11-17-08 at 07:02 AM.
    11-17-08 06:57 AM
    once again it also has to do with some of the software in the device and how it controls battery power. There has been massive changed in figuring out ways to help devices conserve power in the software. This along with the improvement of batteries in general is leeps and bounds. Batteries are literally nearing a breakthrough there is now a ton of companies that I know of in the usa that have HUGE HUGE teams just working on batteries that is all they do. In the next 5 years id be willing to bet we see crazy things with batteries

just my thought.
    11-17-08 07:12 AM
    All I know is, many lithium-based battery powered devices make reference to the fact that the battery life improves after the first few charges. Technically speaking, a regimented "break-in" period is not required. The battery will reach its peak charge-holding performace regardless, but it just might take a few more cycles. It is also true that it is not necessary to fully discharge a li-po battery before recharging it to avoid creating a "memory" in the battery. This, along with current density, is the main advantage of lithium-based battery tech over previous Ni-based tech (NMH and Ni-Cad). Still, a li-po battery will lose charge capacity slowly over time (not to be confused with a charge memory, mind you, which is a different phenomenon).

-SR-

PS: I pretty much agree with what the article you posted is saying. I'm just recalling what I've read in the literature of devices I've purchase with lithium based batteries. It may very well be the case that the manufacturers themselves are adhering to best practices from bygone days of when they use to produce products that made use of Ni-based batteries.
    Keep in mind that Li-Po(Lithium Polymer) is a different kind of technique than Li-Ion(Lithium Ion).
    Li-Po does discharge quite fast and indeed it needs to be charged fully for 4 or 5 times to get to it's optimal capacity.
    It is also known that Li-Po should not be discharged below 10 or 15% because they can actually explode when that happens.

Li-Ion is alot safer but offers less power and cannot handle rapid discharges very well. They have the same charging cycle(max capacity reached after a few full charges) but it is barely noticable.

From what I have read on the VF UK eForums, some have issues with the battery life, 24 hours or less, some say it works fine.
    I'll wait and see for myself, my phone is always on the feeding line at night, so shouldn't be a problem
    11-17-08 07:59 AM
    look at it this way. all those guys complaining about no WIFI, be reassured that your battery will last longer than an iPhone or a Bold: No Wifi!!! Im excited about that.
    11-17-08 09:33 AM
    look at it this way. all those guys complaining about no WIFI, be reassured that your battery will last longer than an iPhone or a Bold: No Wifi!!! Im excited about that.
    You can always turn wifi off on the iphone. I don't know if I would be excited about not having a valuable feature, that can be turned off to prolong battery life, and turned on when the speed is needed.

You know I think a lot of people are so excited about this device that, even with knowledge of it's flaws, they over look them just to let the device meet their expectations. It's odd.
    11-17-08 09:39 AM
    Lots of new Storm owners are experiencing dreadful battery life, which may or may not be faulty devices. There are also lots of other issues with the phone which I have not seen discussed here. Go to Vodafone forums at http ://forum. vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showforum=44 (remove spaces) for details
    11-17-08 09:54 AM
    Lots of new Storm owners are experiencing dreadful battery life, which may or may not be faulty devices. There are also lots of other issues with the phone which I have not seen discussed here. Go to Vodafone forums at http ://forum. vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showforum=44 (remove spaces) for details

I believe there is at least a 30 day return policy on this phone. I fully intend to find out the details of it prior to purchasing. I will also be keeping my iphone and att account active until I have fully tested the phone out for over 2 weeks. I'm not going to just blindly switch over to this while bowing down to almighty RIM, saying to myself that everything will be ok. This is their first attempt at a touch screen, and although it looks like a good job, there are plenty of things that could become apparent that could threaten the solidity of the device for me.
    11-17-08 09:58 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD