Hello all,

I have a BB Storm 9530 and up until recently was running 122 and it was working amazing and perfect and I somehow messed it up.

I upgraded to 132 late last week and immediately started having issues where my battery would just drain. No programs open, just drain. The battery would be dead from full charge in about 5-6 hours. I upgraded directly from 122 so I thought that might be the problem. I also tried as a shot in the dark, multiple battery pulls and nothing.

So, I just downgraded back to .75 (I'm a Verizon user). I did a couple battery pulls to be safe and once I felt things were smooth, I moved on. I never checked to see if the battery problem went away. I went ahead and upgraded back to 132 and then did a couple battery pulls. I waited a little while to see if there was still a battery leak and lo and behold, it was still there.

So, at this point, I upgraded straight to the 141/5.0 Hybrid that was posted by lyricidal since I've been reading great things. I figured, maybe this will fix it. I did a couple battery pulls and.....

Everything seems to be running smoothly, except it seems that the battery leak is still there. I did nothing and in a half hour, I just lost a half bar of the five full battery bars on the top left. I have no programs running at all. This shouldn't happen. There is a small chance that I was just close to a bar dropping and am just a bit paranoid. I will give it some time to really see if there is a battery drain, I won't be plugging it in for the next few hours to see. I'll know for sure then. I'm really just checking to see if anybody is having any of the same issues as me with either 132/141/141Hybrid.

Here is a list of all the programs I have on here:

Facebook
    Google Maps
    Level
    Lights Out
    Pandora
    Quickpull
    The Oregon Trail
    Vegas Pool Sharks Lite
    Weatherbug

All the other software on here is stock. Also, all battery pulls were done physically and I have not been using quickpull. I wanted to make sure quickpull had nothing to do with this in regards to battery pulls.

So, do any of you good people out there have any ideas or suggestions. Could one of the programs be a cause even though they aren't running? I have no idea what to do at this point. It's freaking me out a little bit.

Thanks.

Mike
    05-04-09 04:15 PM
    Check for apps that sync. Set the sync interval high so it won't keep trying to sync and drain the battery.
    05-04-09 07:58 PM
    facebook is a killer, i dropped 17% battery in 30 min
    05-04-09 08:08 PM
    Any ideas from my list of programs, what might help cause this battery drain.

I was at 75% at 6:30pm. I am now at 35% at 9pm. I'm losing 16% an hour doing absolutely nothing. I haven't touched it.

I have used the program, swap-a-radio, to swap the current installed radio back to version 122. It hasn't seemed to help.

If I can't find a solution to this I might just go back to 122, which worked for me. I'm hoping that I didn't bust my phone. This makes no sense to me. I've never had a device in my entire life have software that would cause such a significant loss of power for no reason.

Is there anything else I can do or do I just need to go back to 122. 132 didn't work and this 141/5.0 Hybrid even with the 122 radio swapped isn't working.
    05-04-09 08:13 PM
    i have google maps and quick pull and call blocker. i average about 43m. all day even with email push. try holding the blackbery button down and it should show you what apps are still running.
    05-04-09 08:21 PM
    Absolutely nothing is on. The only programs showing with the bb button held down are the normal five that are always there.

That is what is so weird. Nothing is on. Nothing is happening. It's is just a very quick battery drain for seemingly no reason.
    05-04-09 08:40 PM
    I am suspicious that something's up with the newest Facebook. After I installed it, my battery drain seemed to really accelerate. Before, I was charging once every two days, but after FB, I would pick the phone off the charger before going to work, and the battery was at like 20% before even coming home.

I just deleted FB, so I will see what happens to the battery drain now..
    05-04-09 08:58 PM
    Do you have Vymail?
    05-04-09 10:06 PM
    No. I'm not using any sort of visual voicemail. I list every third party app in my OP.

I do have facebook on there. That's pretty much the only program that I have loaded. I use BB Messenger for texting, I have a couple email addresses set up. That's about it.

I am very far from being a power user. I used to have programs like point, where, etc., but got rid of them prior to even upgrading to 122. Again, 122 worked perfectly. It's everything that came out afterwards that is giving me trouble.
    05-04-09 10:28 PM
    What about Google? Doesn't that sync?
    05-04-09 10:35 PM
    Weatherbug is also know to drain.
    05-04-09 10:36 PM
    I am having the exact same problem but I don't have Facebook loaded. Going to switch back to an earlier OS.
    05-05-09 09:22 AM
    I am also having the same problem

I went from .75 -> .132 with no problem, as soon as I loaded up the .141/5.0 hybrid my battery would go from full charge to dead in a matter of 5 hours with nothing running.

going back to .75, then back up to .132 seems to have resolved it (lost 5% in the past 4.5hrs with light usage)

I have the latest facebook installed, as well as the working youtube

no weatherbug, both before leak and after leak

otherwise - that's it for installed apps

hopefully we can figure out WTF is causing this because it is god awfully annoying
    05-05-09 10:30 AM
    It really is annoying. I was fine on 122. I upgraded straight to 132 and that's when the battery issue began. I dropped back down to 75 and back to 132 to see if it fixed it. It did not. So, I upgraded to 141/Hybrid to see if that would fix it, nothing. I also swapped my radio out with the 122 and it didn't work.

I think I might just go back down to 75 and then up to 122 again. I have the exact same programs now as I did when I had 122 and it worked perfectly then. I'll see if that works.
    05-05-09 02:25 PM
    Battery pulls tank the battery, so you're not measuring your drain whilst doing pulls, are you?

Every pull is gonna cost you about 10% or so of the battery
    05-05-09 02:37 PM
    Im having the same problem. Today im in school, i have used absolutely nothing all day its been locked and kept in my bra.. (so my teachers dont find it and i dont press the screen down in my pocket) I unplugged it at 6:39 AM, by 2:00 it was absolutely dead. I just got a new one sunday, my old one broke but i had the new software version 4.7.0.147 and it would last all day and some of the night. Now i have the old version because its new and the battery just goes down and down. What are you guys talking about when you say 122 and the 132? is that versions or something?
    05-05-09 02:44 PM
    Im having the same problem. Today im in school, i have used absolutely nothing all day its been locked and kept in my bra.. (so my teachers dont find it and i dont press the screen down in my pocket) I unplugged it at 6:39 AM, by 2:00 it was absolutely dead. I just got a new one sunday, my old one broke but i had the new software version 4.7.0.147 and it would last all day and some of the night. Now i have the old version because its new and the battery just goes down and down. What are you guys talking about when you say 122 and the 132? is that versions or something?
    You keep your Storm in your bra????? Pics or it didn't happen.

Do you have the Vymail app?
    05-05-09 07:41 PM
    So I've been running some tests.

I downgraded back to 75 this morning. I did a couple battery pulls, let things settle. I also downgraded and removed Facebook at the same time. I then charged to 100 and unplugged and waited. I checked at the 1-hour mark and it was still at 95. I also had to use the phone a bit and checked a handful of emails. Typical use that seemed like it would take 5% down. It then stayed steady for awhile. No drain.

So, I decided to load Facebook. This is with 75, where I never ever had a battery problem. After downloading and rebooting, I was down to 90%. That seemed reasonable. So, It's settled and waiting. 1 hour later I'm at 75% with not a single thing running or email checked or phone used AT ALL.

Facebook has to be the culprit. I just blew it off the phone and will check my percentage when the phone reboots and mark the time. I'll check back on the phone in an hour or so. If it stays steady, I'll know that it is definitely the new Facebook update that came out not too long ago.

If it's stable later today, I'm going to upgrade back to 122. I'll just stay there for awhile as it worked well for me before.
    05-06-09 01:02 PM
    It will just be a problem with one of the apps your running conflicting with the OS. I remember when I installed, 4.7.0.78 I think it was and tried installing VLingo.... my battery would dye after 3 hours of doing nothing and take an age to charge untill I removed VLingo.

Your only option would be to go trial and error and remove some Apps or change OS and see if that helps.

--
    05-06-09 01:12 PM
    I'm out of town at the moment and only have my mac with me, so I have to wait until Sunday when I'm home, but before I left, I downgraded back to 75 and took off Facebook.

It's still draining at a fast pace. This is crazy as nothing is different, program wise, then when 122 was working. One of my programs must of been upgraded and that upgrade is causing this.

I'm going to blow off all my programs that I installed (they are backed up on my pc incase I want to reinstall later). I might also reinstall 75 with nothing added when I get home and see if that works. If I can get a blank 75 working without a drain, I can go from there and try to find the culprit.

Crazy crazy process, but I guess that's what you get when you are technically a beta tester.
    05-08-09 11:09 AM
    Any ideas from my list of programs, what might help cause this battery drain.
    I have had the same issues as you with upgrading from .122 to .132 and .141.... Phone dead within a few hours... I went back to .122 and had the same drain for a day, figured it had to do with some part of the GPS still trying to track, phone was super hot -- means battery is working overtime -- deleted weatherbug and set my Network Settings to 1XEV instead of Global, reduced backlight brightness from 100 to 50 and backlight time on from 30 sec to 10 sec and phone has been holding on all 5 bars for the past 3 hours now -- and the phone is completely cool in temperature -- seems to have solved the problem, but I'm still on .122 and hesitant to upgrade again...
    05-08-09 11:45 AM
    facebook is a killer, i dropped 17% battery in 30 min
    ditto on the facebook drain.
    05-08-09 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD