I have had my storm for about 2 weeks now and every time I charge it, I go to : options/ status, and check the battery percentage. I have never seen it past 95%. Does it ever get to 100%? I dont want to over charge my battery and lose battery life. Is there any signs of full charge? sometimes the led light will blink green instead of red, what does that indicate?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I didnt search, I am about to pass out and just wanted to throw it out there.
    03-18-09 02:06 AM
    You can't overcharge the battery. If it is sitting at 95 for hours do a battery pull and it should show 100. This seemed to happen on older OS. Which one are you running?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 02:10 AM
    I am running the original .75.

You cannot overcharge this battery? causing it to overheat and then lose battery life??
    03-18-09 02:13 AM
    no technology has advanced over the years

03-18-09 02:17 AM

You cannot overcharge this battery? causing it to overheat and then lose battery life??
    According to what I've read, you cannot overcharge a Li-Ion battery. I do believe my battery life improved after a few charging cycles.
    03-18-09 02:20 AM
    That is some pretty sweet news guys. And if my battery life only gets better thats awesome. I normally finish my day with about 50% left and running a today theme. I noticed it has improved since the first couple days.

Can we get a definite answer on not being able to overcharge this? I know macbook batteries are supposed to have that technology.

Oh and damn you Iowa, ruined my teams chances for a national championship!
    03-18-09 02:41 AM
    When the battery is fully charged, the lightning bolt icon on the battery disappears showing that the battery has stopped charging. Took mine off the charger this morning at 4.30am it's now 9.15pm in Australia and I have 70% battery left. I've made about 30 mins of voice calls, 20 or so sms and about 45-60 mins of browsing. Awesome.
    03-18-09 05:20 AM
    ohhhhh! crazy, I have never seen the lightning bolt disappear. Tonight I will leave it on the charger until it does
    03-18-09 08:21 AM
    ohhhhh! crazy, I have never seen the lightning bolt disappear. Tonight I will leave it on the charger until it does
    lol omg
    03-18-09 08:45 AM
    haha I know thats pretty sad, but whats even worse is my friend has a pearl for 6 months and didnt know when I asked her either!

I leave it in for a while after the battery appears full but i guess still not long enough. we shall see! thanks for the info guys.
    03-18-09 10:47 AM
    With older. OS I never saw the lightning symbol disappear. Since .106 and above charging is normal lightning symbol or yellow LED, no symbo or steady green LED with charging completed.

03-18-09 11:15 AM
    oh thanks for the tip, I am still on .75 so that might be the problem. I will charge for a half hour after the battery indicator is full and my status reads 95% if it doesnt change after a half hour its probably not going to.
    03-18-09 11:25 AM
    oh thanks for the tip, I am still on .75 so that might be the problem. I will charge for a half hour after the battery indicator is full and my status reads 95% if it doesnt change after a half hour its probably not going to.
    just an FYI but for the phone to get its full charge it needs to stay on continually for 10hrs....I actually timed it....the meter shows full after about 4-6 buthe bolt doesnt go away till it has been on about 10 hours...it takes for ever for the last 10% to drain and charge.....i had mine go yellow (warning) had it on the browser and streaming slacker for another 3 hours before it went red and turned the radio off.....most people complain about battery life and they have yet to give it a full charge or they think that because it goes to 50% after 5-6 hours on that its bad.....reminds me of my truck gas gauge....i get about 130 miles the first half of the tank and then i get 250 on my last half.....doesnt make sense...you just have to know what you are dealing with.....
    03-18-09 12:36 PM
    I have had my storm for about 2 weeks now and every time I charge it, I go to : options/ status, and check the battery percentage. I have never seen it past 95%. Does it ever get to 100%? I dont want to over charge my battery and lose battery life. Is there any signs of full charge? sometimes the led light will blink green instead of red, what does that indicate?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I didnt search, I am about to pass out and just wanted to throw it out there.
    ok, when you charge a bb or for that matter just about any other device it is nearly impossiable to over charge as most battery chargers of the last 10-15yrs have a ul code requirement to stop cycle after completion in other words the battery will only accept a predetermined amount of current before fail safeing ie:stop charging hence the flashing green light on bb with the lighting bolt and when completed steady green one caviate to this charging is rechargable batterys count cycles definned as ''every time you connect the charger to the battery is considered 1 cycle '' and most of todays rechargable batterys =1000-2000 cycles per life cycle to answer your question of ''loosing battery life older technology in rechargeables developed a ''memory'' and would only charge to its memory ie 50-75% li-on is termed memory free so if you got the lighting bolt and flashing green its charging full steady green indicates completed cycle doing a battery pull may clear your 95% issue ive had storm for about a week and running .75 it charges to 100% i charge about every third day so i don't know if this helps at all good luck p.s. if you leave your device on when charging it will continue to use the juice which may account for the 95%
    03-18-09 01:35 PM
    1. I do leave it on when charging

2. I didnt know RIM suggested 16hrs original charge so I never did that. Should I do it now after 2 weeks? I guess so.

3. So this battery is above the overcharging issue and "memory" charging issue.

4. Green light flashing means charging and green light constant means fully charged?

5. chub, what does yellow (warning) indicate? i didnt understand it within the context sorry.

Doc and Chub thanks for the info!!
    03-18-09 01:53 PM
    1. I do leave it on when charging

2. I didnt know RIM suggested 16hrs original charge so I never did that. Should I do it now after 2 weeks? I guess so.

3. So this battery is above the overcharging issue and "memory" charging issue.

4. Green light flashing means charging and green light constant means fully charged?

5. chub, what does yellow (warning) indicate? i didnt understand it within the context sorry.

Doc and Chub thanks for the info!!
    when the batter is at i beleive 15% the battery meeter goes to a yellowish orange colored battery then when it is 10-5% remaining it goes red and shuts down the radio...hope this helps
    03-18-09 02:00 PM
    thats what you meant, ok yepp that helped.
    03-18-09 07:50 PM
    For goodness sake Mr Miagi WIPE OFF .75 and erm "wipe on" one of the more recent leaks (if you're comfortable with having a leaked OS on your Storm)!

03-18-09 08:43 PM
    For goodness sake Mr Miagi WIPE OFF .75 and erm "wipe on" one of the more recent leaks (if you're comfortable with having a leaked OS on your Storm)!
    haha, Mr.Miagi cannot Wax on Wax off OS's yet because Mr.Miagi has a Mac.
    03-19-09 10:28 AM
    Ok then lol!

haha, Mr.Miagi cannot Wax on Wax off OS's yet because Mr.Miagi has a Mac.
    03-19-09 04:23 PM
    As others already mentioned, you cannot overcharge your battery. Also, most modern gadgets will trickle charge once the battery reaches about 90%.

03-19-09 05:26 PM
    Something that was explained to me by someone that builds batteries is that very few things fully charge a battery as there needs some room for the volts to "float" so that gets to a certain point and stops charging and then lets it fall to a certain level before it starts charging again. It keeps the battery from over charging and keeps the battery fresh because the volts float and not a constant.

With that said, take it for what it is worth
    03-19-09 06:20 PM
    If you leave apps open by not closing them and just hitting the red button wont that cause the phone to never show full charge or leave the bolt on.
    03-19-09 08:29 PM
    I've noticed that the lightning bolt seldom, if ever, turns off on my 9530 even after 8+ hours of charging. Could that be a result of apps still running in the background as the previous post mentions?
    03-19-09 09:08 PM
    I guess that is a possibility but unless I am doing multiple things I am very conscious about closing apps. I actually got it to say 100% last night!! I did a battery pull while charging or something like that, turned it off, batt pull then back on or something and when it came back on it said 100% but the lightning bolt was still there. That tells me the lightning bolt on this OS is not going away.

I have no problem with the lighting bolt being there and it only charging to "95%" most of the time because I still get more then a full day out of it with sending a ton of texts a couple calls and emails and browsing.

<-------- Happy Storm owner
    03-19-09 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD