I am a huge baseball fan and I am at an absolute loss as to what I can do to watch a game while traveling the country for work.

I own a Blackberry Storm. My carrier is Verizon. I am an annual subscriber to mlb.tv. I have read through so many thoughts on this site about the ways we are able to watch baseball on the go. Well, I have things blocking every avenue of approach for me. Surely I am not the only one finding this impossible.

The problems?

*The Blackberry Storm does not support a flash player where I can use my mlb.tv subscription on it.

*The best option for Blackberry owners is the MLB at bat app (which I am begging anyone to inform me where to find it). This application does not support live streaming of the games. I do have XM satellite radio and the ability to listen to the games, but audio is not what I am looking for. And my XM almost makes the MLB at bat app obsolete.

*I also have a laptop for use during my travels, but all air cards are limited to 5 gigs. This allows me to watch approximately 3 hours of baseball a month. It takes 3 hours to complete 1 game. Air cards are a rip off for baseball fans!

*I would get an iPhone, but Verizon does not use them. I only have Verizon because AT&T does not work in my hometown whereas Verizon's coverage has rarely failed me.

*An iPod touch sounds intriguing, but you have to have a wifi connection for mlb.tv to work. And I am not sure if it is reliable yet either. But since I am always in small towns accross America, it will be hard pressed for me to find a wifi hot spot. If anyone knows if an iPod touch can stream a baseball game live without buffering every 5 seconds, please let me know.

After reading this, would you say that someone like me is doomed? It's as if I am so close I can taste it, but really have only been lead on the entire time. I have many options, yet these companies have not become compatible to my needs yet. Even though I am paying $60 a month for the air card, $30 a month for the 3G Blackberry browser, another $100 a month for Verizon phone coverage, $40 a month for home internet, over $1000 for the laptop, $120 for the mlb.tv subscription, after all this, I still can't use any of this for the number one reason for me to want it.

Please anyone help! I will pay someone for good advice. There has to be something I am missing.
    03-06-10 11:58 PM
    Huge Astros fan here. My solution only allows watching your local team and games that are nationally televised. Get a TV tuner card for your home computer, run your home cable service through it and make sure you have a broad band connection. Goto orb.com and you can stream any channel playing on cable or stored on your drive to any web browser including the storm 1 browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-10 11:36 AM
    Another option is to try tetherberry and that will enable you to use your blackberry storm and it's unlimited data plan as an air card. I tried it back when it was in Beta and thought it was great! I think they have a trial version you can try to see if it's for you.

I'm hoping that by the time I'm eligible for an upgrade phone (plan to upgrade to the storm 2 for the built in WIFI), they will have an app that will enable the phone to act like a MIFI device.
    03-07-10 12:14 PM
    Huge Astros fan here. My solution only allows watching your local team and games that are nationally televised. Get a TV tuner card for your home computer, run your home cable service through it and make sure you have a broad band connection. Goto orb.com and you can stream any channel playing on cable or stored on your drive to any web browser including the storm 1 browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Sounds pretty decent. Although, of course, my team isn't a local team to my cable network. But this option has the potential to allow me to catch MLB Network, which would be a huge boost to my confidence in mobile products.

Where can I find one of these TV Tuners?
    03-07-10 08:08 PM
    Another option is to try tetherberry and that will enable you to use your blackberry storm and it's unlimited data plan as an air card. I tried it back when it was in Beta and thought it was great! I think they have a trial version you can try to see if it's for you.

I'm hoping that by the time I'm eligible for an upgrade phone (plan to upgrade to the storm 2 for the built in WIFI), they will have an app that will enable the phone to act like a MIFI device.
    I wonder if this eliminates the 5 gig limit. I will check it out and thanks for the heads up.
    03-07-10 08:09 PM
    Also, does anyone know anything about a MiFi 2200?
    Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Products

I called a customer service rep and she said these things are still limited, but are 10 gigs. This doubles my 5 gig access with the air card. Plus, the MiFi is a one time $50 purchase while the air card costs $60 a month. If I knew the MiFi 2200 would work as good as the air card or at least that it would work in every place my phone will, I would be all over it. But the 10 gig limit still hinders my baseball access.
    03-07-10 08:09 PM

Alright, I have signed up for the free 7 day trial. Still checking to see if the fee is a one time fee or a monthly fee. This does connect me to the internet, but the mlb.tv games will work for about 30 seconds with a ton of buffering, then the connection gets lost. This is the best option yet though. I am going to toy with the pause button and see if I leave it on pause for a while, then try and play it. See if it works for me.

Please tell me more about this if anyone has any info. Am I being secretely charged by Verizon for this? Is the fee just a one time fee or a monthly deal? Will this be blocked soon?

Link to hold on to...Imagine The Freedom Of The Web Anywhere On Your Laptop! | Tether
    Last edited by redsrbetter; 03-07-10 at 09:24 PM.
    03-07-10 09:20 PM
    03-08-10 10:02 AM
    You may be able to use a sling box.
    03-08-10 01:23 PM
    App World shows MLB.com At Bat 2010 on my storm2. - for $15
    03-08-10 01:32 PM
    Just to keep everyone updated... MLB at Bat 2010 has been released for a few more devices.

MLB.com Mobile | MLB.com: Mobile <--this will get ya some more info
    03-24-10 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD