When I am typing an email or SMS the autotext comes up with totally unintelligible suggestions. It simply takes my misspellings and shows them as options.

In every other phone the system will show you true possibilities. Why does this one work so wonky.
    05-17-09 10:18 AM
    I am interested in this as well.

When typing on my other phones or even on my iPod Touch, its predictive text features are FAR superior to that of the Storm's...
    05-17-09 10:34 AM
    You are both confusing predictive text with autotext. They are not the same. Autotext looks up what you typed and substitutes what you have programmed as the replacement. So if I type "c b" in lower case without the space between, it replaces it with CrackBerry. Predictive text on the other hand offers suggestions to finish words as a typing aid. The Pearls have predictive text.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 10:40 AM
    You are both confusing predictive text with autotext. They are not the same. Autotext looks up what you typed and substitutes what you have programmed as the replacement. So if I type "c b" in lower case without the space between, it replaces it with CrackBerry. Predictive text on the other hand offers suggestions to finish words as a typing aid. The Pearls have predictive text.

Correct. The best thing to do if your Storm is constantly offering up useless words, would be to check your Custom Dictionary. If you have previously misspelled a word, and it was added to your Custom Dictionary, it will continue to suggest that word to you in other situations. Options > Custom Dictionary. Check out the entries there, delete any that shouldn't be there, and if you type words that the phone seems to confuse often, add them to this dictionary. That should help.

EDIT: Please see Armak's post below about where mistyped words get added.
    Last edited by Morf32; 05-17-09 at 01:21 PM.
    05-17-09 10:52 AM
    Thanks for the information! That certainly lowers my expectation when typing stuff out haha
    05-17-09 11:02 AM
    Correct. The best thing to do if your Storm is constantly offering up useless words, would be to check your Custom Dictionary. If you have previously misspelled a word, and it was added to your Custom Dictionary, it will continue to suggest that word to you in other situations. Options > Custom Dictionary. Check out the entries there, delete any that shouldn't be there, and if you type words that the phone seems to confuse often, add them to this dictionary. That should help.
    If you mistype a word and it is added to the dictionary, it won't be added to the Custom Dictionary section for you to edit out. The word is placed into a database called CustomWordsCollection that includes your custom dictionary entries. But as you suggested you can add words to the Custom Dictionary to help eliminate this problem.

05-17-09 12:44 PM
    If you mistype a word and it is added to the dictionary, it won't be added to the Custom Dictionary section for you to edit out. The word is placed into a database called CustomWordsCollection that includes your custom dictionary entries. But as you suggested you can add words to the Custom Dictionary to help eliminate this problem.

Really? Because I actually went in to my Custom Dictionary last night to add a word, and there were words in there that I did not manually add. Where did they come from? I'm not saying you're wrong, but hoping that you have an answer for this... I'm intrigued.
    05-17-09 01:18 PM
    Just turn all off and type what u want to. lol like me. seems like it actually got rid of some typing lag as well.
    05-17-09 01:49 PM
    My custom dictionary is totally empty. So predictive text is like T9 then, but it sure doesn't work like T9. Basically it sucks.
    05-18-09 10:54 AM
    Predictive text seems to have a different database than the custom word database. I tried to delete my custom word database using DM but it doesn't allow me to, I highlight it, click "CLEAR" and it just says I have 667 entries again after it refreshes.

I'm tired of telling my phone I want to say "okay" instead of "pkst"... and my fiance's name isn't Kennifer.
    07-27-09 01:12 PM

hmmm. I'm intruiged as well. I knew nothing about this. My mispelled words show up in my custom dictionary (or at least most of em do ); I go in and delete them every week or so. Never heard of this CustomWordsCollection. Interesting...
    07-27-09 01:22 PM
    According 2 on-device HELP/?: automatic addition of words 2 custom dictionary deactivated via options > language > input options > auto word learning > uncheck > learn words from email msgs > off.
    07-28-09 12:32 AM
    Predictive text seems to have a different database than the custom word database. I tried to delete my custom word database using DM but it doesn't allow me to, I highlight it, click "CLEAR" and it just says I have 667 entries again after it refreshes.

I'm tired of telling my phone I want to say "okay" instead of "pkst"... and my fiance's name isn't Kennifer.
    I have this same problem...I try to clear the database and it just refreshes with the same number of entries (1220 for me!!). I don't know how else to delete it. My custom dictionary is fine...everything in there is exactly what I want...but I can't get rid of errors like "yzy" instead of "txt."

I know i can go add all the regularly ocurring problems to the auto correct list but it just seems like clearing the custom words database should actually WORK...

Anyone have another solution?
    12-23-09 09:48 AM
    I have this same problem...I try to clear the database and it just refreshes with the same number of entries (1220 for me!!). I don't know how else to delete it. My custom dictionary is fine...everything in there is exactly what I want...but I can't get rid of errors like "yzy" instead of "txt."

I know i can go add all the regularly ocurring problems to the auto correct list but it just seems like clearing the custom words database should actually WORK...

Anyone have another solution?
    I too have been going crazy by this. For example, typing "I'll" would always bring "U'll", which I suppose one of my dorky friends had used in previous correspondence. This morning I tried nuking the customwordsdatabase using the Desktop Manager as mentioned above, but I had the same issue where it would refresh and they'd be back.

Then I came across another post from a long time ago - the solution is simple, albeit not perfect:

Delete your entire Custom Dictionary and it will also purge the customwordsdatabase

Worked perfect for me! Fortunately my Custom Dictionary was only a few words and I just added them back.

I also unchecked everything in: Options/Language and Text Input/Show Text Input Options

My input seems much faster, but I may end up turning on some features again as I do like predictive text (but only when it's predicting actual words and not gibberish).

Hope this helps.
    12-23-09 03:01 PM
    What pisses me off is that I can't type in "ill" and have "I'll" brought up as a suggestion. Same with "well" and "we'll". I've tried adding I'll to my custom dictionary, but it says it's already there. Not sure what to do.
    04-11-10 05:14 PM
    Look in Options / Autotext. In mine, il is replaced with I'll. That way you can be ill without your BlackBerry trying to cure you.
    04-11-10 05:28 PM
    Look in Options / Autotext. In mine, il is replaced with I'll. That way you can be ill without your BlackBerry trying to cure you.
    Ok, that works. I was typing ill and well and expecting it to offer corrections. I guess I should educate myself on the proper autotext spellings.
    04-14-10 04:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD