I apologize if this was answered before but I couldn't find it with the search function. I guess I can't figure out what words to search for.

Anyway, I thought I saw a screen on my Storm that allowed me to change how often it checks for new emails (say every 15 mins, 1/2 hour, hour, etc.) but I can't find it again.

I just set up my work email and I'd rather only be notified of new emails every 1/2 hour. Is there a way to do that or was I looking at a different screen that had nothing to do with email?

Thanks.

Scrapping Guy
    07-13-09 07:10 PM
    There is no way to change how often your Storm "checks" for email because it is not designed to check for email. The BlackBerry platform is known for "push" email, which means that the server "pushes" the message to you as soon as it is received, as opposed to your phone pulling it off the server. The whole point of having a BlackBerry is that you get your email faster than everybody else. Even if you could, which you can't, why would you want to cripple this innovative technology? If you don't like hearing new emails constantly coming in, set it to vibrate. Otherwise, sounds like you need an iPhone.
    07-13-09 07:22 PM
    There is no way to change how often your Storm "checks" for email because it is not designed to check for email. The BlackBerry platform is known for "push" email, which means that the server "pushes" the message to you as soon as it is received, as opposed to your phone pulling it off the server. The whole point of having a BlackBerry is that you get your email faster than everybody else. Even if you could, which you can't, why would you want to cripple this innovative technology? If you don't like hearing new emails constantly coming in, set it to vibrate. Otherwise, sounds like you need an iPhone.
    Ouch. Chill man, he was just asking if there was an option for that. Although you provided awesome information, I think it could have been delivered in a not-so-condescending way.
    07-13-09 07:28 PM
    I didn't find his post condescending. Came across as a little kid telling his friends about his transformer toy. Excitement about the innovation of owning a BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 07:35 PM
    Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as snippy. I was just a bit incredulous that someone would want to cripple one of the few (and ever decreasing) advantages that we have over the competition.
    07-13-09 07:36 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm a previous Palm Treo owner (up till about 3 days ago) and the Storm and Blackberry are new to me. I never really knew anything about BB but I thought the Storm was a cool phone.

With the treo I always had to go and retrieve my email which is what I was used to for the last 2 years. I mostly get spam in my Yahoo email which is why I'd rather just have it checked every 1/2 hour or so. That way I don't have to keep looking at my phone when a new one comes in. Now before you say "then don't get yahoo email from your phone", I do get important emails with it too that I need to check.

If what I was asking isn't an option, that's fine. Like I said, I'm new to BB and it's various features (which so far I love).
    07-13-09 08:59 PM
    07-13-09 10:34 PM
    Does the server really push the email as soon as it is received? With my email, over multiple OS's and even multiple storms, sometimes i get the email right away and sometimes it can be up to 15 minutes behind.
    Do you think thats a issue on the email server end? cause i dont feel like i get it "faster than everybody else"
    07-14-09 10:00 PM
    I get my emails within literally 1 second of it hitting my inbox.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 10:02 PM
    Maybe its because i still use thunderbird on my pc to also collect emails.. but that shouldnt effect when my phone gets them bc tbird is closed all day long except when i open it at night.

thunderbird gets the emails right away, but most if not all of the time when tbird is open, i dont end up getting the emails on my phone.
    07-14-09 10:10 PM
    Real-time push of email via BIS is not available on all email accounts. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, and a few others are instant. Custom POP3 or IMAP may not be instant (e.g., polled every x minutes).

View Document
    07-14-09 10:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD