I know that I am not the only one having this problem. I just got the phone last week so it had .75 on it. I can't ever get this to work right and I know that doing a quick pull does nothing. turning off all alerts and rebooting, nada. I am not looking for a fix since I know there isn't one. It's luck of the draw it seems. I want to know, did it ever work. If I go back to an old os, if possible, will it work? I got the phone to listen to internet radio (pandora) in my car. I have a visual audio meter on my car stereo and it doesn't even register most of the time. I'm amplifying static.

This thing isn't a booster, when it's off, it's really on, limiting the output. I can hear the audio being compressed at louder parts of the songs.

If I can't figure this thing out I am going to go back and get the Curve. Anyone know if this problem exists there?

If only Verizon had the iPhone I could talk to my family for free and have what I've been jealously lusting over.:
    05-01-09 04:55 AM
    Hmmm update the os to 141, then add your family to your friends and family plan if you can. If those don't work go get your iphone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-09 06:55 AM
    You sure it's not just your "car setup"? Can you listen to music with headphones plugged in without any issues? There should be no reason for you to have to enable audio boost. The damn thing is loud enough without it. If you're having issues with loudness, then the problem is in the equipment you're plugging into it. (i.e. crappy headphones and such).

BTW, when you control volume while plugged into an aux jack like that, the rules is (usually) you turn up the volume all the way on the playback device (i.e. your Storm) and control volume via the stereo controls in the car. Are you doing this? Also, the phone can only power/amplify so much. The headset jack is rated at boosting a normal set of headphones at a perticular ohm rating of resistence. If you've got a long cable for the aux input or if the cable is longer/run through the car/thicker, that will cause more resistence and could be causing you these issues. If a standard MP3 player can play through the same setup, then the Storm can do it. If it cannot, then you could just have a bad phone.
    05-01-09 08:49 AM
    I have no issue with my iPod that I've had for years. It's the phone, but I'm not the only one with the problem. The audio boost does the same thing on or off for many here in these forums.
    05-01-09 11:58 AM
    Don't lust for an Iphone just get one. I had the storm since launch went through 4 different ones. Phone has tremendous potential but just isn't ready. I switched to an iphone last week and the only thing I regret is having upgraded to the storm and renewing my contract. Otherwise, good luck with the storm!
    05-01-09 12:06 PM
    I do not have the audio boost but I can hear the compression taking place at louder parts of the songs (especially huge base beats). I have a standard 9530 with the original OS. This happens with Slacker Radio as well so I am sure it is related to the phone. I have a short cable to the Aux jack (18"). Volume all the way up on the phone... Headphones do the same thing btw...

something with the audio circuits in the phone are limiting the top end. Almost the opposite of what a dbx expander used to do back in the 80's. If this is by design then my guess is they are doing it for two reasons. 1. Conserve battery power. 2. Protect the minute built in speaker and/or your ears from damage.

Just a guess but like the original poster says, I can't take it... music on this thing sucks period. Hopefully it will be corrected but if not, I guess I just lose...

(otherwise I am happy enough with the device, forget the buggy OS as I am sure eventually Verizon will approve one of the updates and all will be terrific. Everything else I need works fine)
    05-01-09 12:30 PM
    The length/gage of cable from the aux jack is not going to make a difference. (I'm a car audio nut and NOT the boom boom kind, purely sound quality). The storm simply does not have enough output and even with my setup it doesn't get loud enough. I have more than triple the watts needed for each speaker but I'm not going into my trunk to adjust the gains just for the storm.

With that said, you could be missing out on output if you don't have every thing setup correctly. If Cd's play at a level you are happy with then it's the storms output and there's nothing you can do.

What deck do you have? Have you checked the manual to see if there is an adjustment for input levels?

Edit: I'm not happy with the phones volume when talking on the phone a lot of the times especially in a loud area. Nor am I happy with bluetooth headset volume.
    Last edited by dirthog; 05-01-09 at 12:41 PM.
    05-01-09 12:38 PM
    exactly what I was saying (only you said it better lol)

It is the phone... Deck is stock but plenty loud enough for my old ears... No input adjustments available (at least not external anyway). Ipod plays fine on same jack/cable...with NO compression of louder sounds.
    05-01-09 01:32 PM
    Well sometimes you have to sacrifice convenience for quality. I mean if the ipod works good, why do you care about the storm?

I still use my ipod, but I leave it in my car and carry headphones so if i feel like listening to music at a random time, I use the storm.

No device is going to be the absolute best at everything... not even the iphone.
    05-01-09 02:35 PM
    Some things I've picked up on...

Yes, your mp3s will sound crappy. This is really disappointing to me...they don't sound nearly as good as on an iPod. However...the Pandora app seems to bypass this output compression/limiting, and it sounds quite good. Slacker, while being a great app, seems to still run through the compression/limiting.

Just a few things I've noticed...
    05-01-09 04:19 PM
    I have the same problem on mine. Even with it turned up all the way it is a lot more quiet than anything else plugged in.
    05-01-09 05:21 PM
    A LOT of these problems are user error
    05-01-09 05:38 PM
    I have not noticed it as much on pandora or slacker but the mp3's especially when being played in the car are really compressed. It sounds horrible. I mean if you dont have your ipod on you it works but it is more frustrating than anything.
    05-05-09 03:19 AM
    my storm's music player sounds as good as my ipod and sansa mp3 player. i am amazed at how good it sounds. now that i have napster to go, i don't even bring the sansa in my car anymore.

there is always compression on streams and mp3's, but the average ear cannot detect it. if you are hearing compression on louder parts, it is an issue with YOUR phone...not all storms have this problem.

if the problem is that bad, get them to ship you another one. all storms are still under warranty, if bought at retails stores (not ebay, etc).
    05-05-09 06:39 AM
    Someone posted in another thread that they had luck turning down the volume on the storm a bit and turning up the volume on their stereo... I keep meaing to try it to see if it helps but haven't yet. My JVC head unit has a line-in on the front and I too noticed the compression. Sounds like some sort of volume limiting system. Either the headphone amp can't draw enough juice or it is a built in speaker/hearing protection mechanism.

05-05-09 08:33 AM
    I had this problem some time ago. What I was doing was turning off the network and then do a battery pull before I hook it up in my truck or using headphone. I was told of another way was to turn alerts to silent, it did work but not all the time. What I have found out is if you have allready made a call, text or any other kinda message the audio settings will stay low. Before tunrnig off the alerts you must do a battery pull so it clears the the audio memory. I beleave it does this for two reason...

1) To protect your hearing, the phone does not know the difference between car audio and headphones.

2) If you get a message you can hear the alert.

Not for sure these are correct but seem to fit the situation...

Hope some of this helped

Running .141 and loving the Storm
    05-05-09 08:35 AM
    Yeah +1

Audio Boost is in the options menu in the media player except for on the Now Playing screen. It only functions correctly after a battery pull when no other sounds/alerts have been played. I don't have a problem if I set to silent or vibrate only. I don't have to turn off my network connection, but even when audio boost is not working correctly I generally have enough volume for my needs.

Guess I am an old man now and don't feel the need to blast my music the way I used to.
    05-05-09 08:50 AM
    how can i fix this ? everytime I listen to music between songs it quiets between songs. Im using .141
    05-05-09 04:54 PM
    Some things I've picked up on...

Yes, your mp3s will sound crappy. This is really disappointing to me...they don't sound nearly as good as on an iPod. However...the Pandora app seems to bypass this output compression/limiting, and it sounds quite good. Slacker, while being a great app, seems to still run through the compression/limiting.

Just a few things I've noticed...
    Reboot, and enable 'audio boost'. The sound is pretty good on mine set up this way. The problem is that you have to reboot everytime you want to listen to music which is a major hassle, due to the 'audio boost' bug on the Storm.
    05-05-09 05:01 PM
    Hmmm update the os to 141, then add your family to your friends and family plan if you can. If those don't work go get your iphone

I just updated i havent had the problem yet but right after I updated I had to pull the battery because it was at such a low volume. its louder now .... so far... now sometimes between songs it will stop playing and then I have to go back and press play
    Last edited by scttchrst; 05-05-09 at 05:13 PM.
    05-05-09 05:06 PM
    again, this is a bug with certain phones...not the storm itself. the storm plays mp3's just as good as the ipod. i don't have pandora, but slacker sounds amazing.

i use an aux line for the storm, ipod and a sansa fuze. i also have a cd player. the storm is in the ballpark with cds. you have to turn the volume all the way up on your device and use the stereo volume for control.
    05-05-09 05:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD