So it seems like EVERYONE is having problems with their application memory. One second its up, the next second its disappeared.

I never seem to have the problem of any application leaks. In fact, I have pretty much every "official" blackberry storm 3rd party app downloaded onto my phone and my application memory stays around the same 35-45mb. The one thing I have noticed is, and this is my theory..

Depending on the number of apps running, it affects your app memory. I think the app memory isn't related to the number of applications installed, but rather to the "RAM" of the storm and of the applications running. I know if I have a lot of applications running or updating at once, my app memory goes lower, and when I close them down it increases.

Also, after a LOT of use, my storm starts lagging a bit and once I do a QuickPull, the app memory resets and goes back to normal, much like a regular computer and my phone runs smooth again.

I've played with some WinMo phones, and that is how it is set up with that phone. Their TaskManager shows application memory allotted for the amount of apps running in the background and frees up once the apps are closed.

Test it out. Let me know what you think. I think since most of the OTA apps downloaded are less than 1MB, you don't take notice to the actual PHONE DEVICE memory of 1GB decreasing. But mine slowly does due to the amount of apps I have installed.

For some reason I have always had a perfect Storm since launch day. Of all the problems.. camera, lag, errors, accelerometer... never had any of them. Lemme know what you guys think.
    Last edited by JMF5017; 01-22-09 at 12:22 AM.
    01-22-09 12:19 AM
    So,

1) running a lot of apps drags down application memory, which causes lag and
    2) doing a battery pull frees it back up?

Hate to break it to you, but that IS the memory leak problem.
    01-22-09 08:54 AM
    I agree with the guy above me...Everything you said is a given, not a mystery.

People are generally inquiring about how they reduce the memory leak, not why/how it is caused...
    01-22-09 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD