How much application memory should I have? I know it's a lame question. I have 12.7mb and that seems realllllllly low. I don't have alot of stuff on it. Mainly I have songs, pictures, videos and of course a few themes. I still have 3 gigs free on my sim card and 870mb onboard. I just don't know for sure what "application" memory is...

Don't flame me... (cringes) ...this is a friendly environment.
    03-18-09 12:10 PM
    You should do a search on this as its been discussed before. You may want to get a bucket of water ready, tho...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 12:15 PM
    How much application memory should I have? I know it's a lame question. I have 12.7mb and that seems realllllllly low. I don't have alot of stuff on it. Mainly I have songs, pictures, videos and of course a few themes. I still have 3 gigs free on my sim card and 870mb onboard. I just don't know for sure what "application" memory is...

Don't flame me... (cringes) ...this is a friendly environment.
    App memory shouldn't concern you unless it gets below the 10mb mark (then your berry may start deleting emails etc to make room). And second unless your baby is moving slow or lagging don't worry.

If you do want to worry do the following

Do a battery pull and note where your app memory starts fresh at then go about your daily business and check occasionaly and see where it sits. If it continually drops low or fast then you might have a 3rd party app that is causing a "memory leak"
    03-18-09 12:24 PM
    App memory shouldn't concern you unless it gets below the 10mb mark (then your berry may start deleting emails etc to make room). And second unless your baby is moving slow or lagging don't worry.
    While older BBs might have deleted emails, this behavior has changed with the Storm.
    03-18-09 12:27 PM
    While older BBs might have deleted emails, this behavior has changed with the Storm.
    No kidding? I didn't know that? Thanks for the update.
    03-18-09 12:28 PM
    No kidding? I didn't know that? Thanks for the update.
    I haven't personally verified it, but many people here have reported getting down to under 1MB free with no reports of emails being deleted. In fact, most people claim that performance barely suffers at all.
    03-18-09 12:32 PM
    I haven't personally verified it, but many people here have reported getting down to under 1MB free with no reports of emails being deleted. In fact, most people claim that performance barely suffers at all.
    I sure appreciate the update I have been scaring some people needlessly LOL

I know I have gone down to 8 for a long time and not had any performance issues.

Thanks again!
    03-18-09 12:34 PM
    You might also consider doing an "alt LGLG" function to clear the Event Log. This also will increase your memory. I'm not sure how it is does on a Storm. Do a search here because I don't think the Storm has a touchscreen key for "alt".
    03-18-09 12:35 PM
    You might also consider doing an "alt LGLG" function to clear the Event Log. This also will increase your memory. I'm not sure how it is does on a Storm. Do a search here because I don't think the Storm has a touchscreen key for "alt".
    Good point On the storm do the following

from main screen bring up keyboard hit number lock and type the following

/"/"/ (forward slash quotation marks etc)

Then click bb button once in event log and click clear log. You use quicklaunch you can set this up as an option on the menu, or you can download logmaid and it will do it automatically every hour.

Good Luck!
    03-18-09 12:39 PM
    As long as your Storm is not very sluggish, there is no need to concern too much about the level of app memories. But a few things listed below can help you to free up app memories:

1. Install QuickPull (a free app) and schedule to run every night while you are sleeping.
    2. Move as many icons as possible out of the main screen to folders. Some icons cannot be moved. But putting icons in folders will free up A LOT of app memories.
    3. Make sure you close or exit an application after you are done with it. Do not let it run on the background. I have nothing running in background. Please note that many applications do not have garbage collection routine and will drain your app memories if you leave them running. The worst are those apps that do auto-update in a certain period of time. It will be bad news if you set the time interval too frequent.
    4. Install only those apps that you really need. Uninstall those apps that you won't be using.
    5. Be careful of themes. If they are not being programmed properly, they can be memory hog.
    6. If there is an alternative to installing the app, for example, accessing through web browser, you might want to consider that. For example, FaceBook's mobile web site is far superior that the FaceBook app. I stopped using the FaceBook app and access through my browser instead.
    7. You did not mention this, but I hope you are storing all your pictures and videos in the SD card.

Mine stays mostly in the 20s and occasionally down to the teens. But the phone is working just fine. And yes, I am still on .75 OS. So if you are not having problem, don't worry about it.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD