How does Verizon talk about the storm internally? I know publically they'd never admit it was a failure but I heard on a few posts that internally they admit it was a fiasco. What do they really say?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 06:27 AM
    There are articles where people state the same, but it was a fiasco at first then everyone blew it out of proportion. Too many first time BB owners went with the storm and didnt know how to navigate it, or how to upgrade the OS so they could solve the issues they were having. It happens a lot with the release of new technology. Its a live and learn thing.
    05-11-09 06:30 AM
    There are articles where people state the same, but it was a fiasco at first then everyone blew it out of proportion. Too many first time BB owners went with the storm and didnt know how to navigate it, or how to upgrade the OS so they could solve the issues they were having. It happens a lot with the release of new technology. Its a live and learn thing.
    I agree; in the stores, the largest percentage of Storm buyers are brand new to Blackberry. I would say a fairly large percentage of those users will not even use half of the capability of the phone.

A lot of the reps in the stores have the Storm, so it's certainly very popular. It's definitely not looked upon as a failure. The Storm and the bogo on the Blackberry's as a whole has been an unbelievable success.
    05-11-09 07:36 AM
    All of the vzw associates I know of in my area have storms. So it must not be too bad
    05-11-09 07:36 AM
    I work for vzw it is true most of us have the storm but most of us run updated OS too. One of the engineers I know has .174 no he would not share lol but he said they would be update in two weeks or so
    05-11-09 08:03 AM
    I work for vzw it is true most of us have the storm but most of us run updated OS too. One of the engineers I know has .174 no he would not share lol but he said they would be update in two weeks or so
    u should've beat .174 out of him and shared with us
    05-11-09 08:56 AM
    u should've beat .174 out of him and shared with us
    The thought crossed my mind a few times lol
    05-11-09 09:17 AM
    Good to know. It would suck having a phone like this that even the carrier thinks is a failure.
    Hopefully they keep it from becoming one by releasing an official OS soon

05-11-09 10:55 AM
    I work for Verizon and I wouldn't call the Storm a drawback DTB was correct when he said when people first got the Storm navigation of the whole concept was new to a lot of people. I myself am a Verizon Store Manager, as well as a Blackberry Tech for E3 here in the Mid-West.

The BlackBerry Storm is the first touch screen device to be offered by Research in Motion. The company went all out to make their new debut with an innovative technology which is exclusive only to Research in Motion, and sets the BlackBerry Storm apart from any other smartphone on the market.

This is a unique technology called SurePress which is located below the screen display instead of having a built-in keyboard. When users touch the screen with a pressing motion, it produces a clicking sound that tells the user exactly what selection they have made.

This unique new SurePress feature creates more accuracy for texting as well as alleviates the frustration behind accidentally making selections on the touch screen. This is a great benefit which offers two touch screen options. In the portrait mode, SureType is featured and in the landscape mode the QWERTY keyboard is accessible. The innovative touch-screen feature has labeled the BlackBerry Storm the next competitor to the iPhone.

Another benefit of the BlackBerry Storm is its extensive email capabilities that integrate with Microsoft Exchange, Lotus, and GoupWise, to name a few, and also provide for integration with personal email accounts.

For the business user seeking more flexibility with editing text, the BlackBerry Storm has a nifty new feature called Documents 2 Go, which allows users to edit text in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as view documents in Adobe PDF format.

The BlackBerry Storm is perfect for businesses who are concerned about security with an IT infrastructure. The Storm is capable of plugging into a backend BlackBerry infrastructure which is already in place to provide better manageability as well as security. It can also works as a modem to enable the user to access broadband capability from a laptop computer.

Research in Motion has also taken the smartphone battery to the next level by providing extended life as well as a convenient removable feature that is not present in any other smartphone. The battery boasts up to 15 days of life in standby mode and up to 5.5 hours of talk time.

For the die-hard multimedia fan, the LCD screen with sharp contrast is like no other on the smartphone market, with a camera that has video recording capability and includes auto focus. The screen provides brightness as well as light sensing capability and can be viewed from a variety of different angles. Media fans will also enjoy the really cool Bluetooth supported stereo feature for enhanced media enjoyment.

The BlackBerry Storm benefits and features outweigh any drawbacks such as lack of Wi-Fi. For the loyal BlackBerry fan, this cool new device packs a lot of capability into a small amount of space as well as provides an improved mobile communications experience.
    05-11-09 10:59 AM
    I would bet that he is really running .141 which has .174 as the platform number.
    05-11-09 11:05 AM
    Research in Motion has also taken the smartphone battery to the next level by providing extended life as well as a convenient removable feature that is not present in any other smartphone. The battery boasts up to 15 days of life in standby mode and up to 5.5 hours of talk time.
    You can't say that with a straight face can you? You must just be putting out some internal marketing bs.
    05-11-09 11:29 AM
    15 day standby my ***. Maybe if you don't get any emails or text messages. I would be surprised if this phone lasted 2 days on standby.
    05-11-09 11:36 AM
    1) i'd suggest that nobody openly admits to working for VZW, you're asking for corporate security to come crawl up your....

2) the whole situation could have been handled WAY better, but when the boss says to do something, well, you do it. but i'm happy with the phone for now, so i'll wait it out. whatever, as long as i keep getting fancy shiny new OS builds from testing then i'll be ok.
    05-11-09 11:43 AM
    How does Verizon talk about the storm internally? I know publically they'd never admit it was a failure but I heard on a few posts that internally they admit it was a fiasco. What do they really say?

There isn't an employee out there that wouldn't get in trouble for answering that .... come on now.
    05-11-09 11:44 AM
    I'm a sales manager for VzW. I wouldn't actually call the storm a failure. I actually enjoy mine. I will say that I think it could have been done a little better.

Thank you for saying it. I think so too.
    05-11-09 02:17 PM
    its hardly a failure having sold millions of them.

im not denying any of the many unresolved issues, but for a 1st gen device, its not too shabby. whine all you want but do you see another touchscreen that can do everything a blackberry can do, as good as blackberries do? i didn't think so.

15 days of standby is probably with the radio off and no use. that is way far fetched, but from experience , Ive easily gotten 3-4 days of standby. out of mine. and yes, im using the battery it came with, running .141.
    05-11-09 02:24 PM
    I work for Verizon and I wouldn't call the Storm a drawback DTB was correct when he said when people first got the Storm navigation of the whole concept was new to a lot of people. I myself am a Verizon Store Manager, as well as a Blackberry Tech for E3 here in the Mid-West.

The BlackBerry Storm is the first touch screen device to be offered by Research in Motion. The company went all out to make their new debut with an innovative technology which is exclusive only to Research in Motion, and sets the BlackBerry Storm apart from any other smartphone on the market.

This is a unique technology called SurePress which is located below the screen display instead of having a built-in keyboard. When users touch the screen with a pressing motion, it produces a clicking sound that tells the user exactly what selection they have made.

This unique new SurePress feature creates more accuracy for texting as well as alleviates the frustration behind accidentally making selections on the touch screen. This is a great benefit which offers two touch screen options. In the portrait mode, SureType is featured and in the landscape mode the QWERTY keyboard is accessible. The innovative touch-screen feature has labeled the BlackBerry Storm the next competitor to the iPhone.

Another benefit of the BlackBerry Storm is its extensive email capabilities that integrate with Microsoft Exchange, Lotus, and GoupWise, to name a few, and also provide for integration with personal email accounts.

For the business user seeking more flexibility with editing text, the BlackBerry Storm has a nifty new feature called Documents 2 Go, which allows users to edit text in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as view documents in Adobe PDF format.

The BlackBerry Storm is perfect for businesses who are concerned about security with an IT infrastructure. The Storm is capable of plugging into a backend BlackBerry infrastructure which is already in place to provide better manageability as well as security. It can also works as a modem to enable the user to access broadband capability from a laptop computer.

For the die-hard multimedia fan, the LCD screen with sharp contrast is like no other on the smartphone market, with a camera that has video recording capability and includes auto focus. The screen provides brightness as well as light sensing capability and can be viewed from a variety of different angles. Media fans will also enjoy the really cool Bluetooth supported stereo feature for enhanced media enjoyment.

The BlackBerry Storm benefits and features outweigh any drawbacks such as lack of Wi-Fi. For the loyal BlackBerry fan, this cool new device packs a lot of capability into a small amount of space as well as provides an improved mobile communications experience.
    I've seen some kowtowing to the company line before but your post takes the biscuit. Many of us are stuck with old firmware. Name real benefits for the average end user of a storm over an iPhone.

If you want to post here post as a user not as a company mouthpiece - your post was nothing more than brochure material.
    05-11-09 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD