I'm speaking namely in reference to the fact that a lot of my songs won't seem to organize themselves properly - I've got a good 5-6 album's worth of music on here that are listed in the "Unknown" category either for either their artist or album name. It's pretty frustrating considering I'm tremendously OCD about my music library - I've got every damn detail edited in each song's ID3 tag in iTunes

For reference, I'm using Missing Sync for OS X, but the issue arises whether I use that or use the mass storage media form of transferring songs.

Anyone else running into this issue?
    12-06-08 01:02 AM
    Bump, I'd like to see how I can resolve this issue.
    12-06-08 11:35 AM
    I have the same issue, but the only way I see around it (with the "Unknown" tags in the Storm), is to edit the song in iTunes, making sure not just "Artist", but also "Album Artist" is identified, then put the song back into the Storm. I'm a stickler for this stuff, but my other ID3 Tag program wasn't working.....

Its a lot of work, but I didn't have an outrageous number of "Unknowns", so I haven't let it worry me too much. I"ll get to them when I get to them. For now, I just lumped the "Unknown" songs by the same artist into a separate playlist for that artist, and save the grunt work for later

Goodluck.
    12-06-08 01:57 PM

i typically ID3 tag with winamp and all my tags work.

12-06-08 02:00 PM
    let missing sync transfer the songs over. i think when you drag and drop via mass media mode it doesn't bring all the other information over. I have a mac and a windows pc. Never tried sync music when i had my curve through the mac, but when i did a sync with windows and used blackberry media sync album info was there it just took too long to transfer over. So i used the drap and drop via mass storage mode and the song title would be there but no other info was transferred over.
    12-06-08 02:19 PM
    let missing sync transfer the songs over. i think when you drag and drop via mass media mode it doesn't bring all the other information over. I have a mac and a windows pc. Never tried sync music when i had my curve through the mac, but when i did a sync with windows and used blackberry media sync album info was there it just took too long to transfer over. So i used the drap and drop via mass storage mode and the song title would be there but no other info was transferred over.
    Don't think it matters with mac. I brought over about 70 songs from itunes and just used drag and drop and all works fine.

Like dadams said though, make sure you have as much detail as possible for the id3 tags. Even though the file name may be crazy, all works out.
    12-06-08 02:23 PM
    I have the same issue, but the only way I see around it (with the "Unknown" tags in the Storm), is to edit the song in iTunes, making sure not just "Artist", but also "Album Artist" is identified, then put the song back into the Storm. I'm a stickler for this stuff, but my other ID3 Tag program wasn't working.....

Its a lot of work, but I didn't have an outrageous number of "Unknowns", so I haven't let it worry me too much. I"ll get to them when I get to them. For now, I just lumped the "Unknown" songs by the same artist into a separate playlist for that artist, and save the grunt work for later

Goodluck.
    It doesn't seem like the "Album Artist" being blank is an issue, considering many of the songs that are listed properly in the Storm have that field blank in iTunes.

I'll see what else I can do, but thanks for the input anyways.

Edit: Well, looks like I was wrong! That remedied the situation perfectly!

Edit 2: Looks like it didn't. Some songs still show up as unknown despite having every tag filled out!
    Last edited by Rev0lver; 12-06-08 at 02:52 PM.
    12-06-08 02:31 PM
    Bump, because I'm having the same problem and didn't want to start a new thread. My problem is that in addition to some artists showing up as "unknown" despite having all possible iTunes fields filled in, I'm also having a weird issue with "unknown" songs showing up as DIFFERENT songs from my iTunes library, some actually that aren't even on my bb. Anybody think they might know what the deal is?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 11:42 PM
    I'm also having troubling syncing music. I've got about 1500 songs on my mac in iTunes and only about 1000 transfer over. They are all DRM free. Blackberry Media Sync appears to transfer them all over, but the SD card and the media player only show around 1000 (usually 1017 to be exact). Is there a limit on how much media can be recognized? I'm only using about 5.2 gigs of the 8 gig card.
    12-30-08 07:52 AM
    Use media monkey. Its pretty sweet and makes it easy to tag and add album pics.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 07:55 AM
    To everyone using iTunes and having the unknown artist problem:

1. First select all of you music in the iTunes program.
    2. Right click and choose "Convert ID3 Tags"
    3. Choose the v 2.3 Tag version and only v 2.3
    4. Let it convert all of the tags.
    5. Select all of your music again
    6. Right click and choose "get info"
    7. Change only the comments to anything (a, 1, whatever).

When it does this it writes the ID3 tags to all your files. You can do it again to remove the comments and it will be fine. The next time you sync you blackberry the tags should be there. Enjoy!
    01-22-09 07:40 AM
    I use MP3Tag on mine and all of my music is tagged perfectly after transfer. Sounds like the issue is more with Macs/Itunes than the Storm itself.
    01-22-09 07:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD