So I did the device transfer wizard through the desktop manager, and now when I look in the memory on my Storm, it shows only 11MB available.

I checked the application list (under advanced options, I think), theres quite a few, but the seem to all be 'standard'.

Anybody kind enough to post the stock/standard/factory application list so that I can compare and delete accordingly??

Thank you!!!
    11-23-08 12:41 PM
    not 100% on the app list for the storm with Verizon software, but i think that the content store needs to be moved from device memory to media card memory.

You can move it from the device, but I suggest using Media Manager.

If you go to options > status. Press the menu key and check your database sizes, you should know whats taking up space on your device.
    11-23-08 01:30 PM
    First. After you did the device transfer wizard, did you do a battery pull to reset?

Next Do you still have VZNavigator on your Storm if so go to Options>Advanced Options>Applications>VZW Navigator> Hit menu key & then Hit DELETE & it will ask you to restart your storm, then hit YES.

Next after Storm has rebooted, turn it to Landscape hit menu & then show Keyboard & then hold !?123 until it shows the lock then hit "/"/ to open your logs then hit Menu Key & select Clear Log.

Then Exit out of that & do one more battery pull & then check your memory (its under Options>Memory)

This should help.
    11-23-08 01:59 PM
    Worked great!! Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

I now have 41MB instead of 11. Phew. It is quicker, too.

can you please explain what the difference is between application memory and device memory? Having only 41MB of app memory seems... awful. Should I be concerned? After I install 10 apps or so, wouldnt that suck all 41MB up?

I'd like to keep this thing as quick as possible, but not quite sure I understand the whole memory thing (which memory is used for cache, ram, etc).

thanks!
    11-23-08 02:18 PM
    Worked great!! Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

I now have 41MB instead of 11. Phew. It is quicker, too.

can you please explain what the difference is between application memory and device memory? Having only 41MB of app memory seems... awful. Should I be concerned? After I install 10 apps or so, wouldnt that suck all 41MB up?

I'd like to keep this thing as quick as possible, but not quite sure I understand the whole memory thing (which memory is used for cache, ram, etc).

thanks!
    No problem,

As I understand it Device Memory is the physical memory required to run the actual operating system & processes.

Application Memory is where those applications are PHYSICALLY installed. Most applications that are optimized for blackberry actually don't take up that much memory. My advice is everyday to clear your logs & do a battery pull & I think you will find your Storm's runtime to be much quicker a greater percentage of the time. Oh & another word of advice, ALWAYS do a battery pull after installing an application, it will make the transition for the new app alot smoother. Good Luck!!
    11-23-08 02:30 PM
    i like vznav. cant the Storm us thememory card for extra memory kinda like ready boost on vista. also what good is the storms Apps if theres not enough memory? i thought the prelease threads said the storm would be ok on memory. but all these threads on Apps zapping memory sounds like a joke. My freinds itouch doesnt suffer from memory leaks or what every you all are calling.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 02:32 PM
    My experience with RIM has always been that their BB's start out have memory leaks. (do a search on crackberry.com for memory leaks & you will see what I mean) THEN after software updates the units ability to handle memory & allocate it properly GREATLY improves. Also people comes up with processes (like the ones I spoke of above) to help tweak memory & also applications to help with this as well. You are coming from Apple (FYI I OWN 1 MacBook Pro, 2 Brand new IMAC's & THREE) 30-inch Studio displays so I am definitely an apple fan) & as such you are used to a somewhat longer & different style R&D cycle. RIM always starts out a little slow but they DO listen to users & DO correct issues. Just need a little patience. Hang In There.
    11-23-08 02:38 PM
    There is always some memory leak, due to infinite loops with JVM. But as the poster above said, as new builds come out, it is optimized. No you can clear your event log every other day, make sure you delete any unwanted messages, etc. You can also go into the Java folder and remove unwanted and unused .cod files which will add the the overall usable memory.
    11-23-08 02:42 PM
    not 100% on the app list for the storm with Verizon software, but i think that the content store needs to be moved from device memory to media card memory.

You can move it from the device, but I suggest using Media Manager.

If you go to options > status. Press the menu key and check your database sizes, you should know whats taking up space on your device.
    How do you move the content store?
    11-23-08 03:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD