I have had 8 storms since Nov 08 and I have had voice issues with each one. I am currently running 4.7.0.148 and I still have people on the other end saying I keep fading in and out and muffled. I have tried every modification mentioned and no I am not covering the hole with my little finger. I have been a blackberry user for years and I tend to use the unofficial OS's when they come out. I am tired of having to use a headset just to have a conversation. I got the Tour and after two weeks I returned it. I just am not a keyboard user anymore. I like the touchscreen. I will be getting the Storm 2 when it comes out but I would like to have a fix for the current storm. Any help? Any fixes anyone knows of?
    07-25-09 12:19 PM
    i have never had a person complain to me about muffled voice. But with 8 storms i think you should consider a different phone, keyboard or not
    07-25-09 12:26 PM
    From using OS .122 and up (.151) now i find the voice solid and at least as good as my 8830. The .65 and .75 OS where not as good when i tried them.
    Make sure you update your PRL with Verizon once a month. that helps a lot. I noticed that some apps like y messenger and gmaps degrade voice quality so i don't leave them running or do a quick pull.
    Are you using a case or in any certain environments?
    The storm built in mic and speaker sound better then my Jawbone Prime.
    07-25-09 12:28 PM
    Im still a noob whats a PRL?
    07-25-09 12:41 PM
    Preferred roaming list. Google.
    07-25-09 01:13 PM
    i have never had a person complain to me about muffled voice. But with 8 storms i think you should consider a different phone, keyboard or not
    2,228 post and that's all you got???? The replacement units I received from Verizon were Verizon's problem not mine. The first unit I received, the screen was detached from the unit. The second would not power on. The third through six were refurb's with various problems and the seventh would not again, power on. How do you speak out of your XXX?

My issue is the noise cancellation software built into the Storm. When I am in a noisy environment I tend to not fad in and out. But if I am in say my car, I tend to fad in and out. I was hoping RIM would have fixed this in at least one OS update but that does not seem to be the case.
    07-25-09 01:31 PM
    Maybe its a location issue? Network traffic could cause what you're experiencing.

I'll check the known issues log to see if tech support is getting calls about this. But I haven't had anyone say anything to me about call quality with my calls. Blackberries are the best phones for calls I've ever had, and compared to the V and enV, both renowned for their call quality, all of my berries were better, storm most of all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-09 01:55 PM
    Also, post count =/= answer for everything. Some of us know more than others, or specialize in one aspect or another. Way to insult one of the smartest people here. Good luck getting an answer. I for one won't provide any more info on the topic. And I think you owe howarmat an apology.

07-25-09 01:59 PM
    i have the same problem with my sound quality. When i use bluetooth i never have the problem. I guess the noise canceling does not effect the bluetooth. I have just accepted it. Hopefully the storm 2 won't have this problem. I am waiting patiently for this phone to come out.
    07-25-09 02:15 PM
    lol, i dont really mind. Seriously though 8 storms and you still want it? Some people and the storm arent meant to be, its like bad karma.

I am shocked VZW is even willing to give you more, they lose a buttload when they exchange the phones.
    07-25-09 04:23 PM
    Agreed. I dictate with my phone and the voice reception is so bad I lose most of my transcriptions

07-25-09 07:22 PM
    lol, i dont really mind. Seriously though 8 storms and you still want it? Some people and the storm arent meant to be, its like bad karma.

I am shocked VZW is even willing to give you more, they lose a buttload when they exchange the phones.
    not trying to offend anyone. I am just frustrated with the voice quality of my Storm. I left T-Mobile after 10 years to get the Storm and I really want it to work proper. I guess us girls who use BB have all the dumb luck. Maybe its a blond thing. I dunno.
    07-25-09 08:49 PM
    You were probably talking inside your head and thought you were talking aloud. Just kidding.

Try to put some distance between the phone mic (the little hole) and your mouth. The mic and sound recognition together seem to be sensitive. Talk softer if you typically speak loudly. The phone isn't meant to be close to the face since it is a touchscreen and is programmed that way.
    07-25-09 09:19 PM
    not trying to offend anyone. I am just frustrated with the voice quality of my Storm. I left T-Mobile after 10 years to get the Storm and I really want it to work proper. I guess us girls who use BB have all the dumb luck. Maybe its a blond thing. I dunno.
    i can understand that, the tour is very nice device though. I myself have swore of keyboard devices. But the storm 2 will be out before the end of the year. I would seriously take the Tour since you shouldnt have to pay for it and wait til the S2 hits and maybe test drive that.

It would cost a little money depending on ebay/craigslist but i dont think any storm is going to be drastically different under the conditions as you say. I try to avoid them at all cost because its hard on both people to hear each other. I always have my windows down in my car and its impossible. Its a short time fix to a better solution, you have to pick which bugs you worse, the voice quality or the keyboard
    07-25-09 09:35 PM
    i have the same problem with my current storm right now
    07-25-09 09:49 PM
    I have noticed a significant difference in feedback since I upgraded to the 5.0 OS from the 4.7.151. I have not gotten any since then through a ton of calls and traveling!
    07-25-09 10:35 PM
    I just got a bold for work and voice is significantly better than my storm.
    I know verizon is better than att in my calling area.
    I also think my wife's 8330 curve sounds significantly better than the storm. So, count me in for those who think the storm's voice quality needs improvement. It would be nice if they could have added a disable on the noise cancel feature if that is what is causing this issue.

Last edited by Quanius; 07-26-09 at 05:48 AM.
    07-26-09 05:43 AM
    My storm has the same issue of the voice fading in and out regardless of it being an incoming or outgoing call. TELUS could not fix and determined it was not a network issue, as I travel extensively and it happen where ever. As it was, in their determination, not a network issue then it was not longer THEIR issue.

Changing phones did not resolve the problem in my instance either. Has anyone since resolved this issue?
    10-10-09 12:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD