So here we are my friends. The great legendary story (once nothing more than an online engima that made the hairs on your neck stand up) of the Blackberry Storm is etched into the annals of time. Once a mystery device with a STORM of buzz behind it, with people clawing all over the internet day and night to see if they can uncover any new info, pictures, and videos of the device prerelease. RIM's first foray into the touch screen phone market. The device to slay the mighty iPhone!!!!

The Blackberry Storm was one **** of a storm alright. Unfortunately it was more a storm (or should I say a perfect storm) of negativity. Hardware that hated the OS and vice versa. Buttons popping off, screens not clicking properly, camera not functioning well, etc.

The Blackberry Storm never did kill the iPhone as many had claimed and an equal amount had hoped it would do. What the Blackberry Storm did was teach RIM a few lessons about what will work and what won't, and so within a year's time RIM birth the Storm 2.

So now we know Verizon is pulling the plug on the once supposed titan of the smartphone world. On one side yes it was a bit of a let down but on the other side it was decent in my own personal opinion.

One thing for certain is that I will never forget the Storm because it was the device I chose as being my very first smartphone, Blackberry, and touch screen device. But maybe that's why the Storm should be hearlded as legendary. Maybe once all the dust has settled (after the storm) people will look back and realize that the Storm was in fact great because it brought the name of Blackberry to so many more people that never had it cross their minds before. Maybe the Storm is legendary because it taught RIM lessons that RIM needed to be taught in the ever changing cell phone market.

I bid you pleasant journeys.
    02-25-10 02:07 AM
    Great post! I know I will never forget it, the Storm was my introduction into the world we all know as Crackberry. In fact, it was my Christmas present to myself in 2008. I have since moved on, but I still have my original Storm (no replacements) that works perfectly. I still pull it out of the drawer and play with it periodically.

I know many people hate it, but I still love my Storm and always will.
    02-25-10 02:59 AM
    Yes I agree the BlackBerry Storm has brought blackberry and smartphones more mainstream. My wife wanted it badly. I agreed because Verizon was running BOGO on BlackBerrys and we got two for 100 bucks. Couldn't beat it. I had an enV before and I was nieve to smartphone capabilities. All I knew was they did web browsing because my wife had a samsung black jack back in the day. But cool post man. I can't write stuff like that lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-10 07:14 AM
    So here we are my friends. The great legendary story (once nothing more than an online engima that made the hairs on your neck stand up) of the Blackberry Storm is etched into the annals of time. Once a mystery device with a STORM of buzz behind it, with people clawing all over the internet day and night to see if they can uncover any new info, pictures, and videos of the device prerelease. RIM's first foray into the touch screen phone market. The device to slay the mighty iPhone!!!!

The Blackberry Storm was one **** of a storm alright. Unfortunately it was more a storm (or should I say a perfect storm) of negativity. Hardware that hated the OS and vice versa. Buttons popping off, screens not clicking properly, camera not functioning well, etc.

The Blackberry Storm never did kill the iPhone as many had claimed and an equal amount had hoped it would do. What the Blackberry Storm did was teach RIM a few lessons about what will work and what won't, and so within a year's time RIM birth the Storm 2.

So now we know Verizon is pulling the plug on the once supposed titan of the smartphone world. On one side yes it was a bit of a let down but on the other side it was decent in my own personal opinion.

One thing for certain is that I will never forget the Storm because it was the device I chose as being my very first smartphone, Blackberry, and touch screen device. But maybe that's why the Storm should be hearlded as legendary. Maybe once all the dust has settled (after the storm) people will look back and realize that the Storm was in fact great because it brought the name of Blackberry to so many more people that never had it cross their minds before. Maybe the Storm is legendary because it taught RIM lessons that RIM needed to be taught in the ever changing cell phone market.

I bid you pleasant journeys.
    What do you own now?
    02-25-10 07:46 AM
    What do you own now?
    I am still sporting my very first smartphone, the Storm 9530 on Verizon. At the end of this year when I am due for upgrade I will scope the landscape out and see what's available or close to being released.

Yes as mentioned above it was the Storm that brought me into the crackberry community as well.
    02-25-10 08:42 AM
    The Storm unfortunately has pretty much soured me on ever wanting another BlackBerry. I bought it on day one and kept it past the return date, fully knowing the issues with it in the hope that things would be quickly fixed. It took nearly a year for this thing to get stable for me, and now it works okay, but is such a clunky touchscreen implementation that I'm done with it the moment I'm eligible for my next discount. I won't even glance at the Storm 2 and no other BlackBerry has a big enough screen for me. After 3 BlackBerries it's time to move on. My wife just got a Droid and I get to watch how it works for her in real life before deciding on whether the Droid route is the way to go. So while it's kind of sad to dump RIM after owning 3 BlackBerries over the past 5 years, they are rapidly falling behind others for phones that I desirable. Clearly they are still selling a lot of phones so others don't share my sentiment, but it's time for me to move on.
    02-25-10 09:32 AM
    Is it official that Verizon is dropping the Storm? I thought that was just a rumor.
    02-26-10 04:28 AM
    Is it official that Verizon is dropping the Storm? I thought that was just a rumor.
    It's official. The Storm, Curve 8330, 8800 World Edition, and Pearl Flip will be discontinued. No more shipments of those devices coming in, so when inventory dries up that's it. But remember this is only on Verizon, so other carriers up in Canada and Europe could still be selling the Storm.
    02-26-10 02:49 PM
    I am unclear. Is it the whole storm line or just storm 1. I really want to try a storm 3. The rumors sound awesome. I won't be an early adopter though..
    That being said, I still love my s1.
    02-26-10 09:16 PM
    I am unclear. Is it the whole storm line or just storm 1. I really want to try a storm 3. The rumors sound awesome. I won't be an early adopter though..
    That being said, I still love my s1.
    Only the Storm 1 is being discontinued by Verizon. The Storm 2 is/and will still be available.
    02-26-10 10:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD