Had my storm a week now. Pleased with touch screen interface, no wifi caused a bit concern initially but then Vodafone UK 3G works really fast. The only problem, which is the killing problem is the battery life. It can hold only one day maximum, and if with heavy phone calls - I normally have at least 2 hours tel conference - it can last half day. Tried the vodafone CS and was told that it will be improved eventually, which I doubt. Have also tried to close all applications everytime, but improvement is limited.

Is there any real good way to improve? I probably have to go back to bold soon.....
    11-29-08 07:16 PM
    A full day sounds good for a blackberry. I had to charge my Pearl everynight otherwise it wouldn't make it through the day.

But anyway. Keep Bluetooth and GPS off as much as possible. Make sure to CLOSE your running applications. I have my backlight set on 20, and it's easy to see anywhere...

Other than that, we might see some improvement with future OS updates, but a full day of use sounds about right to me...
    11-29-08 07:20 PM
    This is a great topic. I would love to hear more suggestions. I noticed today my battery life doesn't seem as long as before.

Any other settings/suggestions out there for improving battery life?

Thanks!
    01-09-09 01:53 PM
    options > mobile network > network technology > select 1XEV as opposed to Global.

if i am not mistaken, this will stop your phone from searching for a GSM signal.
    01-09-09 02:14 PM
    options > mobile network > network technology > select 1XEV as opposed to Global.

if i am not mistaken, this will stop your phone from searching for a GSM signal.

Thank you. Mine was set to global. I have made the change.
    01-09-09 02:19 PM
    I've made all these changes and my battery still sucks.... I get 12-18 hours max! If I don't use it at all I get 18 hours. And I've done all this crap. I've put in a request for a new battery under warranty but they haven't received it yet. I hope it's not the device and just the battery.
    01-09-09 02:37 PM
    One other suggestion, which has been mentioned in other threads, is to put the phone in Bedside Mode at night, and make sure your Bedside Mode is set to turn the Radio off. That should extend your battery life by a few hours.

These days I seem to get about 48 hours (2 days) of normal use on a single charge, but it doesn't hurt to charge the phone every night.

Perhaps you are spending a lot of your time in an area of weak signal, so the phone is taking a lot of battery using the radio intensively ... ?

The firmware's allocation of battery power to the phone's functions will be improved eventually... all CS are trained to say things like that, but for this particular instance, it is actually true.
    01-09-09 02:41 PM
    hi all, just keep charging it, gets better the more you use and charge it.

Bryan
    01-09-09 02:41 PM
    The best pieces of advice I have been given:

When you first get the phone, charge the battery a few times for 16-24 hours. Don't just unplug when the light goes solid green.

Set your GPS to 911 only, rather than location on, if you don't use maps or navigation that much.

Make sure you close all of your applications as you are done with them.

Use a holster that has a magnet to put it in sleep mode. Otherwise some say

Supposedly the new OS releases improve battery life too, I'm still on 0.75 myself.
    01-09-09 02:42 PM
    In addition, I would make sure if you have IM's to disable auto sign in. In general, I personally dumped all 3rd party apps until the apps develop specifically for the storm.

Also, a good FULL charge (until the bolt goes away) always helps in increasing batt life.
    01-09-09 02:48 PM
    I had .75 on my phone for a few days after I got it and my battery drained extremely quick. I upgraded to .85 on Wednesday night and after a full day of texting, emailing, and talking on the phone last night when I got home it was at 60% remaining and right now it's sitting at 85%. When I had .75 I had to charge my phone with the USB cable half way through the day...
    01-09-09 03:10 PM
    Also, I charge my phone for at least 8 hours every night...
    01-09-09 03:10 PM
    Have you done a "battery conditioning"?

1. Let your battery drain completely. Like until it shuts itself off and won't turn back on.

2. Charge it completely. Make sure that when you are ready to disconnect it, there is no lightning bolt on the battery meter. Even if you have what looks like full bars, if the lightning bolt is there, it's not yet fully charged.

3. Unplug and take the battery out. This is known as a Battery Pull.

4. Let your phone restart.

You may have to do this more than one time. Be patient.

I have seen my Storm's battery life go from barely 8 hours to over 3 days.
    This conditioning of the battery allows the device to get the most out of it.
    01-09-09 03:27 PM
    Seriously, take heed to all the advice in this thread. My battery was just as bad as you guys' before. With very light use it would barely last a day. Now, I can use it pretty heavily and it'll last me a day in a half, which isn't bad at all. Charging your phone at night when you go to bed, even if it's a daily thing, isn't a big deal.
    01-09-09 03:39 PM
    hi all, just keep charging it, gets better the more you use and charge it.

Bryan
    Also true. I've given my battery a few good solid charges (that's until the lightening bolt is GONE) and I have no doubt that also helped with it's life.
    01-09-09 03:41 PM
    You should let your phone charge for a full 15-16 hours. If you do this about 3-4 times, you'll notice an increase in battery life. Just gotta wear that thing in. Even if it says 100% full, let it charge more. It's like when buying a new car, they tell you not to push the engine for the first couple thousand miles just to break it in.
    01-09-09 03:49 PM
    I had the same issue.. called telus and they said to close out apps when not in use... not really sure if this helped... but also tried reducing the number of icons on my home screen... just started dumping everything in my applications folder... and this seemed to do the trick...

i have not "conditioned" my battery, and i plug it in every night for about 6-8 hrs when i sleep in bedside mode..
    01-09-09 03:57 PM
    I've made all these changes and my battery still sucks.... I get 12-18 hours max! If I don't use it at all I get 18 hours. And I've done all this crap. I've put in a request for a new battery under warranty but they haven't received it yet. I hope it's not the device and just the battery.
    12-18 hours and you're still not satisfied??? You are asking for too much, anything much more than that you'd be asking for a miracle.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 05:46 PM
    I have my backlight set on 20, and it's easy to see anywhere...
    My backlight is set to 10%, the lowest setting. I wish it could be turned down even lower. Plenty bright and when you're outdoors the built-in light sensor automatically turns up the light.

01-09-09 06:06 PM
    12-18 hours and you're still not satisfied??? You are asking for too much, anything much more than that you'd be asking for a miracle.

People talk about getting 2 days? My phone is shut off after 18 hours of it being off the charger. I don't make any phone calls, I hardly ever use the GPS. I'm not watching movies on it, or doing anything crazy. And this whole 'breaking in the battery' sounds like a bunch of bs to me. I've had my battery replaced under warranty. I let it competly die (tell it turns off) all the time and then give it a full charge. I have hardly ever given it partial charges. What disapoints me is when I go camping in the summer, I'm going to have to either bring a seperate battery, or find a 120v plug somewhere in the forest.

boo... my only beef with the Storm. Everything else I can deal with.
    02-11-09 10:39 AM
    The best results I have gotten were from disabling the GPS. Dramatically improved battery life for my unit.
    Good Luck
    02-11-09 10:41 AM
    im averaging 2 1/2 days on a single charge. Biggest things are to shut down unused apps and setting the screen brightness to the lowest setting. E911 for GPS helps too, and if you're in an area where you have no service, and you know youre going to be there for a while, turn off the radio so it doesn't kill your battery trying to search for service.
    02-11-09 10:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD