I ran accross a very interesting iphone/storm comparison in another thread:

Ive owned every generation of the iphone, and its really not a comparison. They are Apples and Oranges here folks. The iPhone is basically a toy in that.. its communications part of the phone is horrible. The sound isnt very loud, speaker phone is quiet like its trying to be polite, no MMS, no landscape texting, no landscape email, and no true push. The BB has all of the above, but lacks in the iPod type features that make the iPhone famous. Hands down the iPhone is a better media player. Honestly, that is about all it is better at. Besides having wifi (which I never use), thats about it. A jailbroken phone might have a few more features, but there may come a point where you can no longer do that.

iPhone = iPod with a phone attached to it
    BlackBerry = Communication device

It comes down to this... Do you want a media center or a phone that can communicated in any way, shape or form?

Thats why I switched to Verizon and the Storm. The typing on it was fabulous, the response time opening a program was incredible compared to iphones load times. After I get the phone ill give a nice unbias comparison. I love the iPhone, but it was time to step up to the big leagues.

Food for thought... Im an Apple Tech
    I would just like to take a moment and relate to EVERYTHING that this person has written.

I purchased the iPhone 3G this summer right when it came out. I paid $199 with a 2 year contract. The phone is indeed a great media player. Anything from songs to podcasts... playback is smooth and very appealing. Aside from this, its accelerometer is truly awesome and useful. There are hundreds of great and fun applications that one can acquire relatively cheap and enjoy very much (didn't jailbreak the phone).

And that's where the fun ends. In the last 3 months, I had the iPhone replaced TWICE. Basically I have been calling AT&T customer care about 2 or 3 times per week ever since I got the iPhone. Each time AT&T and Apple play this finger-pointing game where one company says it's the other's fault. Apple did everything they could to resolve my issues by giving me 2 brand new phones each time - no questions asked. AT&T also did their share of troubleshooting on the iPhone for months, including the "ultimate" step, which is that of sending me a brand new sim card. They even went as far as removing me from the network and re-adding my account. Nothing worked!

Here are the problems that I have experienced with the iPhone 3G:
    (1) 3G reception rarely ever present (even at home, where according to AT&T's 3G coverage map my reception of 3G should be 100% perfect)
    (2) Unable to send messages about 50% of the time (even after swapping the phone for a new one twice). The status line would get to the 80% mark and just halt there. After some time, I would get the "error sending message" prompt on the screen.
    (3) Phone constantly fluctuating between Edge and 3G, even when I layed it on a table and didn't touch it. Both AT&T customer service and Apple support were stunned and unable to resolve this issue, EVER.
    (4) Very, very, very, very poor reception is nearly ALL places. People could never hear me and I could never hear them. I'm talking about every 3rd or 4th word ALWAYS being cut off.
    (5) I could not pick up phone calls half the time. I would press "answer" and the phone call would either be dropped or it wouldn't allow me to press "answer" at all.
    (6) Calls constantly dropped. About 5 or 6 phone calls dropped per day. On weekends this number typically doubled.

It got to a point where people would make fun of me for getting the damn iPhone. They'd be like "WTF?" or "why is your reception always so poor?" or "why don't you ever pick up your phone?".

Finally I said, "THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    I called AT&T and bitched them out like there's no tomorrow. I spoke with 2 supervisors and was told to calm down. I couldn't. They have exhausted ever kind of troubleshooting and so at this point there was NOTHING in their notes that they haven't tried.

I was put on hold and one of the supervisors saw how unsatisfied I am with the service and AT&T in general. After all was said and done, she suggested that I return the phone to Apple and get my money back (minus a restocking fee). I was also informed that I can leave AT&T without a penalty (early termination fee).

As all of this was unfolding, I was eagerly awaiting the release of the blackberry Storm. I weighed my options and decided that I could sell a practically brand new iPhone 3G on eBay for $500-600. I decided to pay the early termination fee because this would actually benefit me more. Believe it or not, I will actually end up making money when I pay the ETF and sell the iPhone on eBay.

Anyway, here I am today waiting for my Blackberry Storm to arrive
    I could care less how much worse or how inferior the Storm is to the iPhone in the multimedia department. All I care for now is a phone that looks good, is touch screen, has email/web, a browser, and MOST IMPORTANTLY 3G that actually works!

I was very unlucky with the iPhone. I know a lot of friends, co-workers, and family-members who have the iPhone. Although their problems are not as severe as mine were, EVERY SINGLE PERSON I KNOW OF EXPERIENCES DROPPED CALLS AND POOR RECEPTION PROBLEMS WITH THE IPHONE 3G. EVERY SINGLE ONE!

..and those claiming otherwise are either lying or in denial. PERIOD

I will never go back to AT&T, no matter how “hard-@$$” of a phone they will get.
    Last edited by s54; 11-26-08 at 01:20 PM.
    11-26-08 01:16 PM
    i love it when people who are not mac, or microsoft fan boys review apple products
    11-26-08 01:27 PM
    Nice story. Glad you are making the switch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-08 01:28 PM
    wow, you defnitely got dragged thru the mud with that iphone! At least ATT were willing to do the right thing for you in the end and get you out of your contract, but you definitely did the smart thing by keeping the phone and paying the ETF. Like you said, you will actually make out in the end after its all said and done. My ex g/f had the iphone 3G and she loved the capabilities of the phone, but the service absolutely sucked and had the same dropped calls issue. It probly happened at least 2 or 3 times a day while we were talking, and she could have had full bars on the phone and all of a sudden it would just dump the call. It got so frustrating for me, and her as well. She also sold her iphone on ebay and ended up getting a Curve from Verizon. Congrats on your soon to be Storm, I am actually eagerly waiting for mine to be delivered to my job today from Fed Ex...Im going crazy reading these forums waiting to see the big white truck pull up to my job with my newest toy
    11-26-08 01:29 PM
    I am a longtime apple fanboi, and a mac user.

I own an iPod touch for my music and video needs. I also am one of the lucky ones to have received a working storm and am completely in love with it.

I am excited for you to receive your Storm you will not regret it.
    11-26-08 01:38 PM
    I am a longtime apple fanboi, and a mac user.

I own an iPod touch for my music and video needs. I also am one of the lucky ones to have received a working storm and am completely in love with it.

I am excited for you to receive your Storm you will not regret it.
    same here. Long time Apple fanboy, Have had almost every generation of Ipod since the original, currently have a 16gb nano for music. I know use video on the Storm which I love. I had the original Iphone and while it was not bad, ATT was terrible. I had waited since May for the Storm and almost buckled in July for the Iphone 3g. The thought of ATT kept me away and all of the early probelsm with the 3G helped me stay away. I couldn't be happier. All my Apple products are for Multimedia, minus my Alum Macbook which is great all around and my Strom for communications. The day the Iphone finally comes to Verizon though, I will have to give it a long hard look. I'd imagine alot of it's short commings would be cleared up by then and on a great network.
    11-26-08 01:47 PM
    Not defending the iPhone, I don't regret making the jump one bit, just saying that the 2.2 update seemed to quiet the dropped calls/browser crash a bit.

Still the lack of MMS, the "toy" feel to the interface, the lack of the click through... it's Storm for me all the way.
    11-26-08 01:51 PM
    i wanna the storm so bad but i just got a 2 year contract with At&t when the 3G came out
    11-26-08 01:51 PM
    i love it when people who are not mac, or microsoft fan boys review apple products
    I love apple products but only some ipods and their computers. I don't loathe in everything they make and I prefer Mac and Blackberries for my phone of choice. I prolly will never find a phone that does it all like the blackberry does period. I thought bout the G1 since I am on T-Mobile but I like the phone just not enough to get the phone.
    11-26-08 01:53 PM
    s54-Remember to "feed the addiction" everyday!
    11-26-08 02:20 PM
    i wanna the storm so bad but i just got a 2 year contract with At&t when the 3G came out
    You can break the contract and pay the $175 termination fee.
    Then, you can sell your iPhone on eBay for close to $600.
    If you have the 16GB iPhone, you can get $700+ for it (assuming excellent condition).
    11-26-08 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD