So I have been following the Storm release, and have been waiting and waiting.

HOWEVER, I am now pissed. I called verizon today, for I am eligible for my "free" phone upgrade (Two Year New Phone deal?), however, it is in no way free? I called the main customer service twice, once getting the response,

"Yes sir, with your upgrade, you will receive the Blackberry Storm FREE of charge"

and once received, "No sir, you are eligable for the 'Two Year Contract Price' for the new Blackberry Storm.

I then called my local Verizon store, and was told "No sir, you would pay the $249.99, but there is a $50.00 mail in rebate." When asked about stocking issues, I was told, "Well sir, there are many stores in and around the Knoxville, area, and there will be no issue receiving a phone. If we run out here at our store, we will be able to locate another phone locally for you."

So the sum of this is:
    WHY DO THEY CALL IT A FREE UPGRADE IF I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT?!?!?!

Also:
    someone please tell me that they are wrong and that I do get it for free? anyone?
    11-13-08 11:38 AM
    The NE2 doesn't guarantee you a free phone. It's $50-$100 off depending upon your VIP status.

VZW guys... correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I know you would have anyways
    11-13-08 11:41 AM

HOWEVER, I am now pissed. I called verizon today, for I am eligible for my "free" phone upgrade (Two Year New Phone deal?), however, it is in no way free? I called the main customer service twice, once getting the response,

"Yes sir, with your upgrade, you will receive the Blackberry Storm FREE of charge"

and once received, "No sir, you are eligable for the 'Two Year Contract Price' for the new Blackberry Storm.

I then called my local Verizon store, and was told "No sir, you would pay the $249.99, but there is a $50.00 mail in rebate." When asked about stocking issues, I was told, "Well sir, there are many stores in and around the Knoxville, area, and there will be no issue receiving a phone. If we run out here at our store, we will be able to locate another phone locally for you."

So the sum of this is:

Also:
    someone please tell me that they are wrong and that I do get it for free? anyone?
    Correct me if I am wrong, but it has never been called a 'free' upgrade. NE2 is tiered based on your voice plan and equates to a $50 or $100 credit towards a new 2-year promo price (ie. storm $199).

So if you are on the higher tier, the least you would spend on a storm is $99.
    11-13-08 11:42 AM
    The NE2 doesn't guarantee you a free phone. It's $50-$100 off depending upon your VIP status.

VZW guys... correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I know you would have anyways
    Sorry, Capt, your post wasn't there as I was typing mine!
    11-13-08 11:42 AM
    Are only available on a limited number of cheaper phones. If you want to hit a higher bar, you have to pay the difference. If I remember correctly, upgrading to a phone well above the "free" mark is worth something like $50 off.
    11-13-08 11:43 AM

So the sum of this is:

Also:
    holy cow man. you need to look up info on how verizon contracts/upgrades work.

when you sign up for a 2 year contract, you are eligible for new phone pricing. some phones may be free after rebate, those that arent would also qualify for some ammount of New Every 2 discount, if you are a primary line.
    11-13-08 11:43 AM

So the sum of this is:

Also:
    you won't be getting anything for free, maybe you misunderstood and were misinformed. They do offer free phone upgrades. But for the ****ty flip phones that are worth 10 dollars retail or some ****. But sorry to hear your misunderstanding/misinformation, you could maybe take it up with customer service maybe get an extra discount off if you have a case to be made, but there is no free storm upgrade in your future.
    11-13-08 11:45 AM
    Sorry, Capt, your post wasn't there as I was typing mine!
    Not a problem
    11-13-08 11:51 AM
    As a store rep this has got to be the most misunderstood thing. Honestly the customers hear what they want. Yes, I'm sure you are eligible for a free phone, but not the phone you're looking to get. Think about it, why would you get their hottest phone for free? If you have wine taste expect to pay. As a customer you do have a responsibility to read the materials the company send out to you. If you educate yourself about your contracts, you would be well in the know of what would happen if you wanted to upgrade. STOP relying on reps to give you information 9x's out of 10 you're going to get the wrong information. But if you informed yourself about what you're paying for you wouldn't be so frustrated. When will people take responsibility for themselves and stop blaiming these companies for trying to make money. I mean come on money is what helps get these cool devices to launch on your carrier. If they gave the Storm out free to everyone how will they make their money back that they paid to purchase it from BB? I'm sure after 6 months when people starts to get bored of their 'free storm' they would get upset and bash the company for not having any newer phones launching.
    11-13-08 12:16 PM
    As a store rep this has got to be the most misunderstood thing. Honestly the customers hear what they want. Yes, I'm sure you are eligible for a free phone, but not the phone you're looking to get. Think about it, why would you get their hottest phone for free? If you have wine taste expect to pay. As a customer you do have a responsibility to read the materials the company send out to you. If you educate yourself about your contracts, you would be well in the know of what would happen if you wanted to upgrade. STOP relying on reps to give you information 9x's out of 10 you're going to get the wrong information. But if you informed yourself about what you're paying for you wouldn't be so frustrated. When will people take responsibility for themselves and stop blaiming these companies for trying to make money. I mean come on money is what helps get these cool devices to launch on your carrier. If they gave the Storm out free to everyone how will they make their money back that they paid to purchase it from BB? I'm sure after 6 months when people starts to get bored of their 'free storm' they would get upset and bash the company for not having any newer phones launching.
    Agreed. I work at my school's book store. We tell everyone what the return policy is but it seems that everyone who comes in to return something "has never been told that" or "was told something else."

We always hope we'll get exactly what we want, for what we want...that's rarely the case though.
    11-13-08 12:22 PM
    The only way your get 50-100 off of NE2 is if you're a VIP, not just a regular customer. Too bad it wouldn't equal out to be free...that would be soooo nice...
    11-13-08 12:24 PM
    Definitely agree with mizzsprint.
    It's a sad thing that you're angry because you failed to understand your contract.

Edit: Although I will admit that CS Reps are very well known for giving out misleading information. I've had that happen before so, unfortunately, you will need to verify it several times before you rely on their word.
    Last edited by socal; 11-13-08 at 12:52 PM.
    11-13-08 12:36 PM
    If you want a free storm, move to the UK, as I think Vodafone is issuing them for free. Also, saw in a press release from CNN today that they claim Verizon was "considering selling the device for free with a new two year contract like Vodafone" but decided not to. so CNN was my official source for that one. If I were you, i would be happy about getting it for $200 and not the full retail of something around $500 (dont know the official price here).
    11-13-08 12:36 PM
    Alright, well thanks to all, apparently I missed some memo somewhere? The reason I am confused is when the LG Chocolate came out, I was elligable for a "free" upgrade, or whatever the h*ll it is, and was able to get the brand new "touch pad" chocolate...

I guess I will just have to man up and pay the $250? :-(

Anyone wanna pay for me?
    11-13-08 12:40 PM
    Free upgrade is for the regular flip phones, not 'cool' phones. You get $100 off for the NE2. So it would be $249 minus $100 minus $50 MIR, making it $99.
    11-13-08 12:41 PM
    to the OP! I can understand what you are saying because if it is a "free upgrade" that means free unless I use a different dictionary then that of the others. Dpes free mean something different? I mean it should say free up to a $50.00 phone or something. That is irritating. And noone tells the company to offer free they do that on there on so they don't need to get an attitude when a customer wants what they are reading and being told. "free upgrade"

VZW pays for the phones they need to charge or they don't make there money back?? are you serious? They make money on all things and it isn't like they are giving everyone a free phone.

11-13-08 01:02 PM
    Free upgrade is for the regular flip phones, not 'cool' phones. You get $100 off for the NE2. So it would be $249 minus $100 minus $50 MIR, making it $99.
    This the same answer I got yesterday when I called. A $99.00 upgrade charge for the Storm is fine with me.
    11-13-08 01:23 PM

So the sum of this is:

Also:
    BWAHHH HHAAAHH HAAH!! Are you really serious?

Okay, if you are, then I shouldn't laugh. But no, hon, the phone isn't free. You just don't have to pay full retail.

(the poor thing....)
    11-13-08 02:25 PM
    to the OP! I can understand what you are saying because if it is a "free upgrade" that means free unless I use a different dictionary then that of the others. Dpes free mean something different? I mean it should say free up to a $50.00 phone or something. That is irritating. And noone tells the company to offer free they do that on there on so they don't need to get an attitude when a customer wants what they are reading and being told. "free upgrade"

VZW pays for the phones they need to charge or they don't make there money back?? are you serious? They make money on all things and it isn't like they are giving everyone a free phone.

You mean like this?

Sign up for and maintain two years of service on a digital plan of $34.99 or higher to qualify for a free phone up to a $50 or $100 value, depending on the monthly access of your plan, or receive a credit of the same amount toward the purchase of a more expensive phone, with a two-year renewal.
    11-13-08 02:31 PM
    You mean like this?

Sign up for and maintain two years of service on a digital plan of $34.99 or higher to qualify for a free phone up to a $50 or $100 value, depending on the monthly access of your plan, or receive a credit of the same amount toward the purchase of a more expensive phone, with a two-year renewal.
    yep, that's the exact wording.
    11-13-08 02:32 PM
    The only way your get 50-100 off of NE2 is if you're a VIP, not just a regular customer. Too bad it wouldn't equal out to be free...that would be soooo nice...
    Incorrect.

New Every Two kicks in if you have a voice plan over $35 a month -- between $35 and $79.98 you get $50 off; $79.99 and over and you get $100.

VIP also kicks in at $79.99 monthly access. So if you are over that amount, you get VIP and $100 NE2, but just about everyone gets the $50 NE2, whether VIP or not.
    11-13-08 02:54 PM
    This the same answer I got yesterday when I called. A $99.00 upgrade charge for the Storm is fine with me.
    Just found out I have to A) pay full retail (not a shot) B) wait 30 days from release (my skin itches) for my NE2 (-50) to come 'round or C) swap NE2 dates with my girlfriend (-50 also) and get approx two weeks after release.

Paying 99 dollars at release for this phone sounds damned appetizing to me.
    11-13-08 03:09 PM
    Wow if Verizon is getting this type of crazy over the Storm. I can imagine how crazy AT&T was when the Iphone came out. Did you really expect to get the Stornm for free? REALLY?
    11-13-08 03:23 PM
    yep that would be the wording to the exact that needs to be explained. I don't have VZW thank God. But if this is what it says in B&W why is OP having a hard time understanding this? also to the OP did you read this? I mean someone told you right? so that makes the difference in the OP's eyes. good luck in whatever you do!

You mean like this?

11-13-08 03:26 PM
    yep that would be the wording to the exact that needs to be explained. I don't have VZW thank God. But if this is what it says in B&W why is OP having a hard time understanding this? also to the OP did you read this? I mean someone told you right? so that makes the difference in the OP's eyes. good luck in whatever you do!
    That is the exact wording...it was taken from Verizon's website...
    11-13-08 03:43 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD