I've gone from average 11 hours max. battery life to 32-35 hours with the following changes - each one contributing around a third of the increase:

1. Switched off Global Roaming to just CDMA. Biggest change - almost doubled current bat. life.
    2. .90 release - added about 6 hours increase alone.
    3. Seido 1600 extended battery. This was the smallest but still added about 4-5 hours.

Also, I'm down to about 1 crash every 3-4 days instead of more frequent. Did not do a clean wipe from .86 to .90 though I did for all previous upgrades. I have lots of apps like Weatherbug and launchers. Seeing average 38 MB memory.

This is all based on moderate business use - 10 calls per day, push email, lots of web use on WSJ, NYT, etc. Almost no use of video/mp3, etc.
    01-28-09 03:16 PM
    thanks for the info!
    01-28-09 03:24 PM
    Switched off Global Roaming to just CDMA. Biggest change - almost doubled current bat. life.
    Do you mean switching from global to "GSM/UMTS" or "1XEV" ?
    01-28-09 03:26 PM
    do we use gsm/umts at all in america or is it all cdma
    01-28-09 03:38 PM
    1xEV = CDMA... GSM/UTMS = GSM (AT&T and T-Mobile)

so he meant 1xEV
    01-28-09 03:42 PM
    Verizon Wireless is CDMA. The Storm will use GSM if used overseas.
    01-28-09 03:43 PM
    Noobie here. What is the .90 release?
    01-28-09 03:46 PM
    Noobie here. What is the .90 release?
    Latest OS for Storms
    01-28-09 03:53 PM
    Answers to questions so far:
    -Yes, CDMA is 1EVrt
    -.90 release is latest unofficial release - downloadable on this site

Yes - all of three of these changes were key to the almost tripling of battery life. No way I'm going to lug around the super extended 2600 Seido battery - be might as well be going back to the first Motorola "brick" phone at that point.
    01-28-09 03:56 PM
    So to increase battery life buy an extended battery?
    01-28-09 04:22 PM
    [B][COLOR="Red"]

1. Switched off Global Roaming to just CDMA. Biggest change - almost doubled current bat. life.

so how do you do this? is it under options? what is the path?
    01-28-09 06:18 PM
    What does turning off global roaming do besides give me battery life?
    01-28-09 06:22 PM
    It doesn't auto switch to gsm if you travel abroad and have a second sim card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 06:42 PM
    So to increase battery life buy an extended battery?
    I agree...it seems to me that the extended battery would have more to do with the increase in battery life. I'm going to buy one but have to save up for it since they're what, $50?
    01-28-09 07:05 PM
    I already had changed the roaming option and had the extended battery before I moved to .90. After moving to .90, I've seen a dramatic increase in battery life as well. With little or no usage, my battery would be at 60% by 6 pm and dead by 10 pm. With .90, my battery is at 80% and its almost 8 pm, big difference.
    01-28-09 07:46 PM
    also try switching ur gps to 911 only in the options i hear that will help too
    01-28-09 07:51 PM
    how do you change the roaming options....what is the path???
    01-28-09 07:59 PM
    I've gone from average 11 hours max. battery life to 32-35 hours with the following changes - each one contributing around a third of the increase:

2. .90 release - added about 6 hours increase alone.
    3. Seido 1600 extended battery. This was the smallest but still added about 4-5 hours.

Also, I'm down to about 1 crash every 3-4 days instead of more frequent. Did not do a clean wipe from .86 to .90 though I did for all previous upgrades. I have lots of apps like Weatherbug and launchers. Seeing average 38 MB memory.

This is all based on moderate business use - 10 calls per day, push email, lots of web use on WSJ, NYT, etc. Almost no use of video/mp3, etc.
    woohoo! grats on the more battery life! still running .75 here. anyone else agree .90 makes a big difference?
    01-28-09 08:00 PM
    All these tips work great, I use my phone extensively throughout the day (especially SMS and the browser, sometimes I call but I'm not a call type of person) and with these tips + .90, I do manage to get only about 15-20% of the battery lost at about midnight each day so thats really good and efficient for extensive use! I'd also recommend (if this wasn't known) to turn off bluetooth when you're not using it (sometimes I accidentally leave it on after using it) , thats a battery sucker that one
    01-28-09 08:40 PM
    I just returned my Seidio 1600 battery. It lasted less time than my standard battery. Really disconcerting. Still ended up costing me shipping both ways...
    01-28-09 08:43 PM
    woohoo! grats on the more battery life! still running .75 here. anyone else agree .90 makes a big difference?

Some people are getting serious memory leaks with .90. when I first installed it I would start the day with 47.8 Mb and finish the day with 11 Mb with no apps running

I also noticed a serious drop in battery life....maybe two to three hours MAX off a full charge.

Don't know why but I read that installing .90, downgrading to .86, and reinstalling .90 with solve all these leak and battery issues.

worked like a charm with me, now .90 is flying through everything. Battery life is great with everything running, you don't have to shut off anything to get good bat life
    01-28-09 08:47 PM
    how do you change the roaming options....what is the path???
    >Options>Mobile Network>Select 1XEV instead of Global
    01-28-09 08:47 PM
    Some people are getting serious memory leaks with .90. when I first installed it I would start the day with 47.8 Mb and finish the day with 11 Mb with no apps running

I also noticed a serious drop in battery life....maybe two to three hours MAX off a full charge.

Don't know why but I read that installing .90, downgrading to .86, and reinstalling .90 with solve all these leak and battery issues.

worked like a charm with me, now .90 is flying through everything. Battery life is great with everything running, you don't have to shut off anything to get good bat life
    Haven't heard of this one....when you downgraded, did you run it on .86 for a while, then upgrade again, or did you upgrade again immediately after ?

Did you reinstall your apps between downgrade/upgrade ?

FYI - I upgraded from .85, no wipe...

Thanks.
    01-29-09 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD