I was under the impression that application memory is the memory that is available to run applications you are currently using and that device memory is where all the various files needed to support running the application are stored after installation.

Last night I proceeded to add 2 new applications from Appworld and from that point on every press of a key resulted in the hourglass. Check application memory and it was at 0.0kb so I did a hard reset. After reboot checked memory and still at 0.0kb. Proceeded to remove several 3rd party apps through DM just so I could get my phone back to an operational level. First attempt there still was not enough memory to complete the operation so had to take phone back to almost stock apps and still only end up with approx 21 mb which is now at 15.8. Since I have had the phone I have never gone above the low 20's with a reset....and it drops pretty precipitously through the day. To note, my phone has run pretty good even at 0.0kb but loading the final 2 apps last night drove a nail in its usefulness. I don't even have that many apps to begin with.

It is clear to me now that the applications are being saved into application memory and not device memory. Is this normal because it does not seem to make sense to me? I thought RAM memory is for running applications, not storing them.

Am I missing something? I have learned about the Aerize Card Loader route but then I have to ask what is the device memory for if it can't be used to store appllications when not being actively used? Doesn't a computer use RAM to run apps, not provide storage for them? It would make sense that you have one memory to hold data (card), one to hold application files (device) and one type devoted to running what you are doing (RAM). Not a techie, never had official training but I thought I understood this as the way computers work?????
    11-20-09 11:10 AM
    Ask RIM this! Haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 11:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD